Chapala.com Webboard

Strom-White - rising cost of already expensive shipping

eagles100

The OP Eagles100 will have his stuff in Laredo. He needs to have it moved here. Local companies that do that such as Strom-White and LCM most certainly "do that work themselves," contrary to what Privado would have you believe. Eagles100 is free to not like the price he was given but not to say it's "too high" without any point of reference.

Give Eagles100 a break. Haven't we all felt that shock before where we have not encountered such high costs? We should all try and be a little less critical. I did not think badly of Strom-White after reading the initial post. My interpretation is that Eagles100 was upset over the increase in price without explanation. We should be able to vent here, and he/she/they did nothing other than express an opinion... they did not accuse the firm of fraud or wrong-doing.

Strom-white has a very good reputation and one frustrated person is not going to hurt them or lose customers. They are professionals and should be able to handle something like this in a professional manner.

Eagles100: Best of luck to you. I know what you are going through I hate moving.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The OP Eagles100 will have his stuff in Laredo. He needs to have it moved here. Local companies that do that such as Strom-White and LCM most certainly "do that work themselves," contrary to what Privado would have you believe. Eagles100 is free to not like the price he was given but not to say it's "too high" without any point of reference.

Actually, you misunderstood me- I said that starting from your home place in US or Canada is the way to GO- these Moving Companies then contract with companies here in Mexico and obviously as Ginger said- in her move from the Virgin Isles she used SW for the Mexico portion of her move.

However, there are 100's of trucking companies in Laredo and custom brokers as well- Roadway and other Logistics Freight companies have offices in Laredo- Anyone can use the web, check out pricing for COMMON FREIGHT BUT do not specify it is HOUSEHOLD GOODS- you do not need a MOVING COMPANY only a freight truck who will Drop at a specified location.

And why are they quoting in UDS anyway? This is Mexico not the US. I'm from Canada so it's an insult to me.

This is my bone of contention for years the same as with C and F temperatures. Is it so hard to move the decimal point for a quick reference or use a pocket calculator for a more accurate amount. After all, you are in Mexico!

I think that Privado has a very good point but I am not sure why Eagle 100 did not hire a compagny from Canada but she must have very good reason. I dont think she wanted to attack the reputation of Strum-White. She probably wrote stuff out of context while she was frustrated or just had a very bad day. However once it is written, it is very hard to take back.

I am sure she appreciated all of the good information that was presented to her.

Good luck on your move Eagle100 and hope that things move smoothly for you.

Eagle 100 could you not reconsider what you want to bring to Mexico? Pots & pans, blankets, sheets! All of these things can be had in Guaralajara at similar and cheaper prices than in the U.S., including good quality items. Consider selling what you have and purchasing new once you get here. You can start your new life in paradise with beautiful new items instead of old and used. After all it's just things that can be replaced. $3000 is a lot of money to pay to get used stuff here, is there anything there that can be worth that much money? Use your vehicle to transport items that simply can't be replaced (like photos and items with sentimental value, clothes, etc.) and get rid of the rest. Let it all go and enjoy the challenge of finding new things that suit your taste.

I'm familiar with Eagles100 and know that they are going through some difficult times and have various problems they're dealing with. I believe the frustration with a variety of issues is leaking out... please cut her some slack. They are also looking at other options right now, and I'm sure that positive input will be appreciated. Thanks, all.

Heather

If you bring your stuff to the border at Laredo L&L Freight Forwarding will bring it to your door.

Call Elsa Gonzalez at 956 726 9941 or email her atEladgonzalez@SBCgloal.net.

They provide excellent service and the cost should be lless than Strom White.

I think I introduced you, Shira, to Elsa and to using an expediter instead of a moving company to go across international boundaries. I strongly recommend Elsa, who we used when we moved to Mexico in 2005. There is no aduana involved, so there is no possibility of having to pay duty, plus they charge a lot less. You get your stuff to Elsa in Laredo and she will bring it to your door lakeside or anywhere else in Mexico.

Archived