Chapala.com Webboard

The most awesome Fragrant Flowers available? and where?

I'm trying to get ideas of what are some of the best fragrant and awesome smelling flowers available here at lakeside. I prefer those that bloom frequently. Currently here I have three types of jasmine, the Cestrum Nocturnum (which is by far the best smelling and strongest I have ever smelled), the Jasminum Officinale (which I can bare smell) and my grand duke which is very small and blooms infrequently (and I have to stick my nose up close to smell it.) Also, I have a gardenia which is small and you can barely smell it.

I plan on going out this week and looking for a Plumeria (any ideas which vivero has them?) When I lived in Georgia I had a Tea Olive bush which had really sweet smelling flowers, has anybody seen any of those down here? None of the viveros I have visited even know what they are, their spanish name is Olivo Oloroso. I bet they would do great down here!! I would love to have one! Also, lilac would be really cool to have, has anybody found any lilac around here?

Now, what other fragrant flowers have people encountered here that dispel super strong sweet smells?? Being a frequent bloomer would be a definate plus! To add to this, I have several white lily varieties that smell great but bloom once a year and fade fast : (

Thanks for any suggestions!

I love Stargazer Lily, which has a very strong smell when blooming. Hubby brought home a plant that some vivero said was a Stargazer, but it didn't look like what I'm used to from flower arrangements up north. It did smell fantastic, though, and several buds on the plant opened over a couple of weeks. Plant is still around, but not sure what it takes to get it to re-bloom.

Brugmansia is a good choice, but possibly not for those with puppies, we had one when we first moved into our house but destroyed it after we read how highly poisonous they are for pets. Our dogs love to nibble on any type of fallen flower or leaf, after studying up on potencial poisonous plants, saw brugmansia listed, we researched more, and later, horrified, we took an axe to it!

Thanks for the suggestions, everybody, and please keep them coming......would rather ask you guys than the guys at the vivero, because if he realizes that you want fragrant plants, suddenly they all become wonderfully frangrant.....

Plant nardos. Their night-time fragrance is intense and seductive. If you can't find the plants, buy the cut flowers and keep vases of them in your bedroom and other parts of the house.

I have 4 different jasmines. The Cestrum Nocturnum is by far the strongest smelling. Almost over powering. Short blooming season though.

A plant that does well here but has a more subtle smell is Quisqualis Indica-Rangoon climber.

Plumeria don't have that strong a smell. Most nurseries should carry it.

There are some native wild trees that have great smells but I don't know their names.

If you want something with a beautiful perfume that no one else here has, get ylang ylang (cananga odorata). Haven't found trees for sale in Mexico, but there are seeds offered on Mercado Libre (in Spanish, the name may also be spelled "ilang ilang"). They are easy to start from seed in a 3 gal pot. The flowers resemble a miniature greenish yellow to yellow banana peel, with 6 petals which are 3" to 5" in length, limp and loaded with perfumes. The scent is like jasmine X 20. With water, they will flower much of the year.

As a tropical tree, they won't take temps below 40ºF so plant in a sheltered area. The grown tree may get to 10 meters, with an open canopy of 10-12 meters. They will take some extra water to establish. They also like acidic soil, so you could add a bit of sulfur now and then after transplanting.

A transplanted 2 meters tall tree (probably one year old from seed) was 10 meters tall within 3 years. Flowered after 2 years in the ground. Without exception, every woman who ever came and saw my tree did the same exact thing when I handed them a flower -.they breathed in the perfume, went "ahhhhhh - what is thisssss?", and promptly tucked the flower into the front of their blouse.

I had Ylang Ylang (Cananga odorata) in Puerto Rico. It smells wonderful and grows very fast and tall. It does need acidic soil to grows well ( same as the gardenias). My mother in law had a gardenia bush ( very large). Once I counted around 75 flowers. We always had vases with gardenias around the house. My wedding bouquet was made all with gardenias from her garden. Gardenias and acid loving plants don't do well here. Our soil is alkaline. Unless you constantly watch the ph of the soil you won't get any of this plants to do well here. Ylang Ylang is used in perfume. The little bloom is not very noticeable but the fragrance is exquisite. Jasmine is very fragrant but leaf cutter ants love it. I have a gazebo cover with one and it smell wonderful in the morning. Jasmine grows very fast. Often trimming will keep it manageable. I am a gardening fan and as far as I know jasmine is the only scented plant in the area. There most be more.

Plant nardos. Their night-time fragrance is intense and seductive. If you can't find the plants, buy the cut flowers and keep vases of them in your bedroom and other parts of the house.

Nardos are very fragrant. They use them in Puerto Rico for funeral arrangements. Every time I smell them I'd remember been in a funeral service.

Thanks guys,

so far the Cananga Aodorat sounds the most exciting and I did check on mercado libre and they are going for 10 seeds for 50 pesos with instructions on how to germinate them. Juan de Uruguay said that the soil here may not be ideal since they prefer acidic soil, he says that you can sprinkle some sulfer in the soil from time to time. Where can I get sulfer??

Nardo might be cool, but it seems to bloom just once a year like the lillies I already have.

Anymore suggestions??

Somebody said that Lilac might not grow well here......they are selling the seeds on mercado libre.

Has anybody had any experience with Lilac in the Chapala area?

What about Tea Olives, they grow great in tropical semi tropical areas, does anybody have any info on them here in the Chapala area??

Thanks again guys

Dichosalocura, I am with you -- LOVE fragrant plants. My NOB garden was full of them, but most of my NOB favorties needed a cold spell (like lilac) to bloom.

I found a packet of sweet alyssum seeds on a seed rack at a local hardware store, they have taken well to a "hell-strip" area in my garden (lots of concentrated sun near house which bakes it even further) and the afternoon and evening scent is lovely although not strong.

Roses down here are not very fragrant, and you certainly can't find the named hybridized varieties we could get NOB. However - pink roses are frequently fragrant; and I found one lavendar variety which has a lovely scent. Just have to smell each one, to see which rose has some fragrance.

Gardenias and a Dama de noche / Cestrum nocturnum shrub have not succeeded for me. Would love to know where to get sulphur to acidify the soil. We have tons of compost but that (unlike my leaf mold compost up north) is neutral in Ph.

A friend brought me tubers for bearded iris and daylilies -- I hunted up some scented and re-blooming varieties of each -- and I am waiting to see how they take hold.

I found this list of plants in Spanish, with a mark by the fragrant ones, while I was googling nerbo (English = tuberrose; Polianthes tuberosa) :

http://articulos.infojardin.com/articulos/lista-plantas-terraza-macetas.htm

From what I could gather, this is a site from Spain - not sure how much of the plant info applies to our climactic zone here, but certainly the Mediterranean parts of Spain would be close, I think. Lots of lists, plant info and pictures on this site. Their list of "plantas Aromaticas" is for fragrant foliage, not flowers -- I've had great success with lavendar, rosemary and lantanas here.

Archived