Chapala.com Webboard

Need a knife sharpener.

There is no-one known to us in the area that sharpens knives (other than the street sharpener, but don't use him for anything other than axes or machetes, because he's not offering trabajo fina). I have seen sharpeners of various styles at both Liverpool and Sears in Guadalajara, but they are pretty much "make do" gadgets.

Last year I paid Joseph at Chicken Joe's a few bucks to do my knives, but he only steeled them. Thus revealing the secret for here: I bought a new butcher-type knife at the Chili Cook-Off last year, and I use a steel on it before every use. It is retaining its edge superbly. I realize this is not good info for knives that need work; believe me, I have a whole bunch, Solingen included, that I just do not use any more because of this...

i have used that knife man who walks around. it always was a good job. now i dont live where he appears. is therea hardware store i can go too? i think ill ask around.

I have a number of Sabatier carbon steel knives that date to 1968--they were a gift from my parents. Normally I use this sharpener (plus a steel) to keep their edges right. http://www.amazon.com/AccuSharp-1-001-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00004VWKQ

I've had my knives professionally sharpened twice in all that time. The last time, I asked my butcher at a tianguis in Morelia whose services he used to sharpen HIS knives; he graciously loaned me one of his sabers and took all of mine to the man who did his sharpening work. My knives came back home like razors. I recommend asking your favorite butcher to do the same favor for you. After that, it's a matter of keeping them sharp with a steel.

Those sharpeners do their work by removing steel instead of refining the edge. They work in a pinch, but the provide a razor-thin edge. This is great for razors, but consider how fast a razor blade dulls. With a knife sharpened thataway, you only have to use it once to dull its edge again.

I use this set for sharpening. 70m4502s1.jpg

Trouble is, even sets like these are useless when dealing with already-damaged knives. So start steeling from the very beginning.

I've also checked with a few of the butchers around here, and they all steel... they don't send their knives out. Otherwise my small collection would be just dandy. I will buy a couple more next time the Sayula guys are here; now that I live alone, I don't have to worry about anybody else in the house breaking the steel commandment.

Archived