Chapala.com Webboard

Soriana Points Card

kbiohio

Hi All.

I can see there were some posts on this topic late in 2011. I thought there may be some folks out there having an issue similar to what I was experiencing this month...and a new post might be helpful.

First, for those who do not know how the card works... hand the cashier your card at the beginning of each purchase. You will accumulate points and electronic money under your card number in the system. Occassionally, I ask the cashier if she can apply points and/or electronic money towards my purchases. I typically do this when I have a large shopping day. This is great in lowering the total of your bill. The points do expire two times per year. It is "use it, or lose it" with these perks. The bottom of your receipts shows your info and expiration date. If I am misunderstanding how this works, someone please pipe in and set us straight.

I had the 'temporary' laminated card for collecing points and electronic money on my Soriana purchases (this can be obtained at the service desk). Recently, when trying to cash in on my points, I was told by the cashier that she could not do so until I changed to the 'permanent' plastic card. I had heard through the grapevine that this would require me to sign up for a Soriban debit card - which I did not want to do. I was going to go back to Soriana at a time when it was less crowded and take my Mexican husband. My Spanish is fine, but I was afraid that I would miss something in the translation and sign-up for something I didn't want. Today, I went to the pharmacy counter, as I do twice per month. The lady at the pharmacy counter recognizes me and is very friendly (Estel). She pointed at the bottom of my receipt to show that I had a large amount of electronic money. I told her that I was aware, but I needed to get the plastic points card - and would return with my husband for that step. She said there is no need to get the debit card, and acknowledged that a lot of the Americans/Canadians seem to be uneasy about obtaining the permanent card. The 'permanent' plastic points card was quick and easy to obtain at the service desk. She asked me to write my name and address. We walked together to the service desk. In 2-3 minutes, she handed me the new card and assured me that all my points and electronic money where now tranferred to the new card. Yippie! I'm all set. And I think Estel is one of the few Soriana employees worthy of praise :)

KBIOhio

Archived