Chapala.com Webboard

Bats - Prevention

mkshawn

We have a recurring bat issue in our palapa over the last 3 nights. Splats of seed droppings, likely older lemons limes from a grove nearby?

Recommendation from the board range from a fine netting for seining bait fish that has small enough opening that bats can't get thru to Moth Balls or Crystals. Does anyone know where I can find these?

We will leave on some low wattage bulbs as well.

We had a bat problem on our terrazza, and someone suggested using an energy saver light on at night.

We put an old lamp with the bulb pointed upward out there.....and ...no more bat poop. They love hanging on overhead brick boveda ceilings. Don't get me wrong: I like bats; they do a good job on the bugs, but there's other good places to hang out. Shoo.

We were warned that vampire bats would bite our horses if we didn't have night lights. Their first two nights here, we didn't have the lights working yet, and the horses had over a dozen small bites. We put solar lights at the end of their paddocks and keep a couple of lanterns lit in front of their stalls. No more bites.

Solar lights I think are a good idea. Occasionally the rechargeable D or AA batteries in them need replacing; I haven't yet found a source for those down here, I just get them NOB.

Archived