Chapala.com Webboard

Burglaries

judybrick

We just had our home broken into while we were gone for 30 minutes. He or they smashed the security lock on our secondary bedroom door and took a computer, a tablet, and my jewelry. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good and reliable security company in Ajijic?

Our second break in was a few weeks ago. We have bars on all windows and sliding doors. The gates on the terrace have both a lock and a heavy duty padlock. We also have 4 dogs. The thieves broke the metalwork surrounding the deadbolt on the front door. We now have installed an alarm system that sounds a loud siren and also calls our cell phones plus up to 4 (I think) other numbers in sequence. Our next door neighbours were also broken into last week.

You might consider filing a report with LakeChapalaCrime.com

You may also want to consider filing a denuncia with the Ministerio Publico in Chapala.

I am in upper Ajijic but the Ministerio Publico's office for Ajijic and all points east of here is in Chapala. I'm not sure where the line is drawn between Chapala and Jocotepec, which also has a MP office.

There have also been several break ins in Las Salvias and other communities to the west of Central Ajijic.

We hear of friends being robbed nearly every other day. Usually in the daytime while they are gone to church, to get groceries, to play bridge. I was nervous when we left the house today to go for lunch. Almost everyone that I have talked to says it is the same guy. He is brazen and seems to have an unlimited supply of pepper spray which he uses on people and their dogs. It doesn't seem to matter how much razor wire or how many dogs you have, this guy gets in. He takes silver, cash, jewelery and small electronics.

The police have his description, a description of his car and the license plate. Every one that I know who has been robbed has gone to the police and the Ministerio. I don't understand why this guy is still at large.

My Mexican friends say he probably has accomplices who have walkie-talkies. We sure keep an eye out for anyone in our street who is a stranger, let me tell you. We ask them what their business is "Que pasa aqui?" Or watch them 'till they walk down the street or even take their photo. But you can't be everywhere. This is a very bad situation. Not as bad as last May but very bad. I'd like to know what the police are doing.

there was a seris of muggings in my home town. he was called the "elevator mugger". just attacked again 2 days ago. he was caught & arrested sometime after, while sleeping on a bus, someone alerted the police. several cameras had him on film before during & after the attacks &the fingerprints matched. he will be in jail several years. turns out it was a toy gun. in any event, how many times has the MP taken prints after you have been robbed? how many times have they put it thru a computer to see if the person has a record of arrest? how many times have they stopped someone who fits a description. the answer is never. you wont get those services here.

What or where is the description of the person and their vehicle?

People need to be really smart about where they hide things. Talk to people who have been robbed and find out where they aren't looking and put things there. Get ideas from several people. And then don't tell anyone where you put your items unless it's a trusted family member or a friend that needs to know incase something happens to you. I've talked to neighbors that said they pretty much looked everywhere, but there had to be somewhere they didn't look and that's where I recommend they put things.

From page 12 of The Guadalajara Reporter, January 26 - February 1, 2013:

"Police maintain an intense outlook for the "pepper-spray" bandit who has been targeting homes in Las Salvias, Villa Nova and Rancho del Oro. He is described as a well-built man, 30 to 40 years of age standing just under 6 feet in height, with fair skin, light brown shoulder length hair and other physical characteristics common to foreigners. He usually carries a backpack and dresses in shorts, T-shirt, tennis shoes and cap."

It says nothing about a car or the license plate of a car.

Also, if I am reading this report right, this bandit may not be a Mexican although there are plenty of Mexicans and foreigners that have similiar features.

We all know he has a car - a late model Silver Jeep. The description and license plate have been posted on lakeside crime.com and this website more than once. He has been reported several times in the last three months to the authorities. He has been spotted several times in Upper Ajijic, Las Salvias, Rancho del Oro and Villa Nova. I don't know why he is still sat large.

he was also found in lower floresta w/the silver jeep in mid dec. someone called the police as the car was parked. they let him go, as they DO NOT arrest someone for no reason. as i said many times, they dont take fingerprints. this is not a concern for the police or MP. it is only a concern for us. btw, there are many mexicans w/ german/french mix. why the guad reporter would say "foreign" is kind of strange. we dont know who he is, i doute its an expat.

Archived