Chapala.com Webboard

Socorro o ayuda

cedros

Ayudame! with the accent over the "yu" If you shout "Socorro," my maid Socorro might come help you, but don't count on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Ayuda is, gramatically correct, but sometimes....to shout "FUEGO!" works better....

When my mare spooked and bolted at an entry to a horse show (because my big panama hat blew off right into her face) I yelled "Ayudame" and all the Peruvian handlers/grooms turned around immediately, one of them caught her reins. Not sure when I'd use "Socorro", have wondered about that for years. BTW - I know we took a ribbon in that class but really the spooking incident is what I remember!

When my mare spooked and bolted at an entry to a horse show (because my big panama hat blew off right into her face) I yelled "Ayudame" and all the Peruvian handlers/grooms turned around immediately, one of them caught her reins. Not sure when I'd use "Socorro", have wondered about that for years. BTW - I know we took a ribbon in that class but really the spooking incident is what I remember!

If you had shouted "Fried bananas!" the Peruvians would have turned around, realized your plight and helped you. I repeat, for the last time: When you are in trouble, shout "Socorro." Anyone who speaks Spanish knows the difference between "socorro" and "ayudame." Apparently very few on this board speak Spanish.

"Ayúdame" roughly translates as "Assist me", "Give me a hand", or "Help me" perform or complete a task or get something done. You'd use this logically in the horse example to ask someone to assist you to get the horse under control, to help you right a falling bucket, or to grab a bag that's slipping out of your hands. Shouting "Socorro" in this same example should also get people running, not because you are looking for helping hand, but because you are in danger.

"Socorro" is correctly used in a situation of grave mortal danger, for rescue, or when first aid needs to be rendered. Getting mugged? Yell, "Socorro". A heart attack? "Socorro."

Another example: If you have a flat on the carretera, you'd ask the police officer for ayuda to get you help to fix your flat. If he's hitting you up for a mordida, then socorro is what you're praying a good samaritan offers you.

Archived