Chapala.com Webboard

Transportation advice from Guadaljara airport to Ajijic

LRandolph

Hello: We are making our first visit to Ajijic the end of February. We want to find an English speaking driver who knows Ajijic & can get us to our rental without a hassle. Do any of you have any referrals for me?

Thanks very much.

Highly recommend Luis Miramontes. He is highly regarded, speaks fluent English, all-around nice guy and he'll be waiting for you at the airport when you arrive and will take you wherever you need to go. He's local, his father owns, and runs a small fleet of cabs, but Luis has his own van and is the only person we use. Rates are the same you would pay an airport cab and you'll get personal attention from Luis.

Email him at miramontes-transfer@hotmail.com

Highly recommend Luis Miramontes. He is highly regarded, speaks fluent English, all-around nice guy and he'll be waiting for you at the airport when you arrive and will take you wherever you need to go. He's local, his father owns, and runs a small fleet of cabs, but Luis has his own van and is the only person we use. Rates are the same you would pay an airport cab and you'll get personal attention from Luis.

Email him at miramontes-transfer@hotmail.com

Thank you so very much. Any other tips about the Lake Chapala area would be much appreciated! I'm very interested in finding a place we can spend January & February next year for me to learn Spanish, and we are exploring possibilities. I'm particularly interested in meeting some folks in Ajijic & surrounds. My husband is going to be a LOT more amenable to someplace where he meets some people he likes & has some things in common with; finds a golf course & a golfing buddy or two; has a place to kayak; and finds some restaurants he likes!

The easiest thing to do is get the driving directions written in Spanish, hand them to the cab driver at the airport. The airport cabs know their way around this area and most places are very easy to find. You could also print out a local map and mark your rental on it with the house number and hand it to the cabbie.

From the time we first came over 6 years ago, not speaking a word of Spanish, we've had absolutely no problem with the airport cabbies.

Thank you so very much. Any other tips about the Lake Chapala area would be much appreciated! I'm very interested in finding a place we can spend January & February next year for me to learn Spanish, and we are exploring possibilities. I'm particularly interested in meeting some folks in Ajijic & surrounds. My husband is going to be a LOT more amenable to someplace where he meets some people he likes & has some things in common with; finds a golf course & a golfing buddy or two; has a place to kayak; and finds some restaurants he likes!

Send him out to breakfast at Salvadors or the Plaza about 8am. Lots of golfers there for breakfast, especially at Salvadors.

There's a big long outdoor table where the golfers gather. Open to all

not all the drivers @airport know how to find your destination. i have made around 20 r/t's. i always had someone pick me up when i was visiting. when i knew the directions later, then i would take the airport taxie. thats only my opinion for me.

The easiest thing to do is get the driving directions written in Spanish, hand them to the cab driver at the airport. The airport cabs know their way around this area and most places are very easy to find. You could also print out a local map and mark your rental on it with the house number and hand it to the cabbie.

From the time we first came over 6 years ago, not speaking a word of Spanish, we've had absolutely no problem with the airport cabbies.

I agree 100% get a cab. When you leave your plane go to the Taxi area. ATM is near Taxi stand if you need pesos but they will take dollars at a slightly discounted rate. You say Ajijic to the guy behind the Taxi window you pay 380P or so and you get a piece of paper. You give the paper to the taxi driver and he gives it to the security people as you leave the airport so they know you left with a taxi driver and they know the taxi driver. Same security system as San Juan P.R. Take a small map of ajijic with you and show the driver where you want to go. He will figure it out. Taxi drivers don't normally get tipped but most gringoes do tip them something small like 20 pesos. It is a very good system that we tell all our guests to use. This way if the plane is late or whatever you are not sitting around waiting for folks.

I agree 100% get a cab. When you leave your plane go to the Taxi area. ATM is near Taxi stand if you need pesos but they will take dollars at a slightly discounted rate. You say Ajijic to the guy behind the Taxi window you pay 380P or so and you get a piece of paper. You give the paper to the taxi driver and he gives it to the security people as you leave the airport so they know you left with a taxi driver and they know the taxi driver. Same security system as San Juan P.R. Take a small map of ajijic with you and show the driver where you want to go. He will figure it out. Taxi drivers don't normally get tipped but most gringoes do tip them something small like 20 pesos. It is a very good system that we tell all our guests to use. This way if the plane is late or whatever you are not sitting around waiting for folks.

i sent you a PM

Hello: We are making our first visit to Ajijic the end of February. We want to find an English speaking driver who knows Ajijic & can get us to our rental without a hassle. Do any of you have any referrals for me?

Thanks very much.

Sorry I put my reply on the wrong end of this blog, please reply if interested.

Yes,remember that some taxi drivers cannot read so it doesn't matter how good your Spanish directions are. Of course your driver will never tell you but if you give him an address in writing, once he gets to Ajijic he'll find a local taxi and get verbal directions.

On one of earliest trips about 12 years ago we had booked in at Beverly Hunt's B&B on Zaragoza and we had the address for whatever number. The driver dropped us at that address but lo and behold there were two houses on Zaragoza with the same number. The lady who came to the door said it happened all the time! It's Mexico, relax!

as i said, i made several trips before i knew how to direct. my house was easy, & i knew some key words. like "turn here" or "2 more" "3 houses to corner" i tipped because the airport taxie brought the baggage into the house. but i dont tip francisco, he does very well. i only use him while going to airport or etn bus. good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks very much.

Mapquest the house location. Find out the cross streets...i.e On xxx Street.. between xxx Street and xxx Street.

Hire a taxi at the airport, cost now 400peso's, and show the information to the driver before you get in

This will save you the anxiety if your flight is delayed or comes in early

Yes,remember that some taxi drivers cannot read so it doesn't matter how good your Spanish directions are. Of course your driver will never tell you but if you give him an address in writing, once he gets to Ajijic he'll find a local taxi and get verbal directions.

On one of earliest trips about 12 years ago we had booked in at Beverly Hunt's B&B on Zaragoza and we had the address for whatever number. The driver dropped us at that address but lo and behold there were two houses on Zaragoza with the same number. The lady who came to the door said it happened all the time! It's Mexico, relax!

Yep Zaragoza in Ajijic doesn't change names so east of Colon the numbers go up and west of colon the numbers go up. We get each others mail all the time and putting east or west doesn't do any good either.

Archived