Chapala.com Webboard

Federal Speeding Fines

Guadalautern

Can anyone tell me the fine for driving over the Limit on an Autopista? The last time I was stopped was about four years ago and the fine was 500 Peso (250 if paid withín (I think) 10 days. When I went to pay it, I was told the speed didn't matter. The fine is a flat charge.

They just published new federal traffic laws, well updated them and they are effective 60 days after the publication November 22, 2012. http://dof.gob.mx/nota_detalle.php?codigo=5278684&fecha=22/11/2012

Actually the new federal traffic laws contemplate a higher fine for going faster (Article 136)

III. Automóviles, vagonetas y motocicletas sin remolque:
a) Si el exceso es de hasta 20 km/h, 50 a 60 veces la cuota diaria que establece este Reglamento, y
B) Si el exceso es mayor a 20 km/h, 60 a 70 veces la cuota diaria que establece este Reglamento;
So cars speeding up to 20kph over the limit will pay a fine of $3,238 pesos to $3,885.60
So cars speeding over 20kph over the limit will pay a fine of $3,885.60 pesos to $4,533.20
HUGE raises in fines, its like they want to be like California, New york or Canada and raise revenue!

Thanks Spencer, I guess we have to slow down.:):) I have a question on the Radar Photo.

If you drive a foreign plated car, someone told me that they will not send you the Bill to your mailing address as you are not a resident of Mexico. I find that a little hard to believe as your car is register at the the Customs Office and they have your address regardless, or is it like any Governmental Offices the departments do not talk to each others.

Thanks

Left hand and right hand do not speak in Mexico. As for photo radar, they wont send you anything from what I have heard as they don't connect things as of yet.

Phew! Yet another reason to keep my foreign plate on my car. Some of the posted speed limits are laughable. (I'm not talking about in town/congested areas but out on the highways).

Valerie :)

Foreign plates wont stop a real cop from pulling you over and fining you and perhaps taking a license plate or document.

A few things:

The Federalis, and this is according to several Federalis on D15 I have questioned, do not cite below 21Km/h over the Limit.

There are NO Traffic Enforcement cameras in Mexico - only signs. There is only one Traffic Light camera in Mexico DF and it is a dummy. Source: Speed Camera Data Base.

10 years ago, it was estimated by the National Motorists Association, revenue from speeding offences in the US amounted to about $16 Billion a year. When Montana established a Speed Limit, deaths went up 100%. In Germany, motorists driving over 160Km/h are involved in far fewer accidents than those driving 120 or less. It is ALL about the money.

Anyway, thanks for the information.

Traffic speed cameras are working, I have seen a few friends notices of fines. Also red light cameras at a few intersections in Guad, all started a year ago, beware.

be prudent, they have computers now, any record of past fines could be tagged to your license plate rnumber,

and if you get in trouble , they could look that up.

i know in the the state of Missouri in the US if you do not show up and pay your ticket by a certian time, a warrant for your arrest is put out, and if in missouri , the arrest you on the spot uf they catch you. it happens to client of mine in missouri.

does anyone lakeside had an expereince where they had to pay the old tickets tagged to there license plate.

We have license plate covers that if viewed from the side or above will obscure the plate numbers.

The Federal traffic law lists a minimum distance that your plates need to be visible from or else they will fine you, they seem to have thought of that one!

The Federal traffic law lists a minimum distance that your plates need to be visible from or else they will fine you, they seem to have thought of that one!

If you get a ticket from a federale where do you pay it?

The only cameras I have seen were at a red light in GDL and they were only security-type cameras with a sign saying they were for speed and red light violations. There were no sensors embedded in the intersection or radar. I do not know of anyone or have heard of anyone getting a camera ticket - at least among the people I know who think of their cars as more than just an appliance and driving as more than getting from A to B. There are some speed traps in areas which are posted as photo infraction areas but radar is being used and there are multiple revenuers stopping people. There are a lot of signs in GDL warning of photo infractions but I have never seen a machine to back them up. Maybe in the future but the mail system will have to be vastly improved to make it work. And you can always load them in your GPS to protect yourself.

The only cameras I have seen were at a red light in GDL and they were only security-type cameras with a sign saying they were for speed and red light violations. There were no sensors embedded in the intersection or radar. I do not know of anyone or have heard of anyone getting a camera ticket - at least among the people I know who think of their cars as more than just an appliance and driving as more than getting from A to B. There are some speed traps in areas which are posted as photo infraction areas but radar is being used and there are multiple revenuers stopping people. There are a lot of signs in GDL warning of photo infractions but I have never seen a machine to back them up. Maybe in the future but the mail system will have to be vastly improved to make it work. And you can always load them in your GPS to protect yourself.

You're right Lots of signs- I pass four on Ave.Patria just leaving my house and driving to Costco- But, you are wrong - saw a friends offense this weekend who lives near me - received in the mail- Mexican Plated car. Friends teenage son, Lives in Valle Real across Periferico from main part of Zapopan drives to school down Acuaducto to Patria received 3 in mail in one month.

Archived