Chapala.com Webboard

Floor Lamps

Monessen

I'm trying to buy floor lamps. The ones that I have seen at the stores are silver tubes or wrought iron pieces. Those are nice but they aren't the kind I want. I've checked out bazaars, antique stores, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. There are lots of table lamps but no floor lamps with "character"--I know that that's subjective. I've been checking garage sales, too. Can anyone give me some help in this area?

Thanks!

I remember Liverpool in Galeria had a good lighting section with some floor lamps. Try Decora Lighting next to Sunrise Cafe near Oxxo in San Antonio. May even have catalogs. Great people and helpful. While there you could even ask Jorge and Oscar at Furniture for Less on the other side of Sunrise. Also wonderful people, good English and always seem to know where to find things. I'm also thinking Muebles Placencia in Guadalajara had lighting.

If you go to Barbara's Bazaar and don't like what you see ask to speak to one of the owners, Tom or Ricardo. If they can't locate what you want they may well be able to suggest an obscure store, etc. in Guadalajara as they know that city well.

We have an interesting and old iron floor lamp that we bought in Tlaquepaque some years ago. I don't have a good place for it any more. If you'd like to see it, I live in Villa Nova. Or I can email a picture to you. I don't know how to post a photo on this site.

Lexy

Everyone's tastes are different, and I don't know what you're looking for, but there is a place on the mountain side of the carreterra, approximately across from Mom's Cafe in east Riberas called (I think) Arte Amanacer, something like that. The building is painted bright colors, mostly purple. He hand paints furniture and lamps. I like them very much, but I don't know if they'd be your cup of tea. He happily does custom work if you want different colors or designs.

Thanks for the help, everyone. I have checked many of those places out but I haven't seen what I wanted--picky, picky :-). Floor lamps were a dime a dozen where I came from and I never really appreciated them. I'm happy that so many of you were helpful to me. I know that I'll find exactly what I want at the reasonable price I can pay.

You're absolutely right, floor lamps were a dime a dozen back home... but here they seem to be pretty scarce selection-wise. I'm still using a crappy 3-lamp floorlamp I got a Home Depot some years back after searching everywhere. I mean, it works, but back home it woulda been 10 or 20 bucks and my least-favoured choice.

I'm in the same boat. I've been looking for a floor lamp for 2 years without luck. Too modern, too painted up, too massive, etc.

I'm trying to buy floor lamps. The ones that I have seen at the stores are silver tubes or wrought iron pieces. Those are nice but they aren't the kind I want. I've checked out bazaars, antique stores, Home Depot, Walmart, etc. There are lots of table lamps but no floor lamps with "character"--I know that that's subjective. I've been checking garage sales, too. Can anyone give me some help in this area?

Thanks!

I was in Chapala's Consignment Shoppe this morning, and I saw two. A black one, and a white one. Tho, I do not know exactly what you are looking for.

• 5 months later...

We have just moved into a nice house on Montreal in the Providencia area of GDL. All of the lighting is in the ceiling and we have been able to purchase a few cheap table lamps at various sorianas and what not but we LONG for a floor lamp or two so we can have some area lighting for reading and mood....

Also we are in need of a fireplace screen, a grate (iron thing that logs rest upon as they burn) and a poker, shovel, broom thingie.. Ideas?

Thanks

Stan and April

Stan,

See your local iron worker with a design or photo for a floor lamp you like. He can also make fireplace grates and screens to your design, or his own. They do it all the time. Ours even improved upon my screen design and we were very happy.

We have just moved into a nice house on Montreal in the Providencia area of GDL. All of the lighting is in the ceiling and we have been able to purchase a few cheap table lamps at various sorianas and what not but we LONG for a floor lamp or two so we can have some area lighting for reading and mood....

Also we are in need of a fireplace screen, a grate (iron thing that logs rest upon as they burn) and a poker, shovel, broom thingie.. Ideas?

Thanks

Stan and April

There are several very nice stores in GDL

PADI--- on Ave Mexico #2410 just before it crosses Terranova- very near to your home

any Ferrateria -(hardware store) will have shovels, brooms etc Try- Home Depot- there are 2 in Zapopan- Ave Patria just past Guadalupe and Ave Acuaducto about 1/2 mile from Andares next to the Periferico-

Archived