Chapala.com Webboard

Getting a Mexican driver's license

Serenity6

Hello friends. According to my new car insurance agent (Mexican), unless I get a MX license, my MX policy is inactive.

Having done a lot of research, it appears that I can go to the Transito office in Chapala, and maybe with also a trip to city hall, I can get my license there. Only snag is my shamefully limited Spanish. I've read that one can get an English test, but only in GDL. I've also heard that one can pay for an interpreter's assistance at the Chapala office. I'm unsure if that means that I need to bring my own interpreter, or if one is available at the office. I've studied for the English written test, and understand I might have an in-car test for parallel parking (and instant cone touching = automatic failure.)

I've heard a very kind and helpful gentleman by the name of Beto speaks great English and works in the Chapala office, and can helps morons like me who are terrible with Spanish.

Anyone have any insight about getting the license in Chapala if one cannot speak Spanish well enough? Or, if I must bring my own interpreter, where I could find one and of course pay that person for his/her time? I have a valid California driver's license.

Thanks a bunch.

Things keep changing there. In the summer and through the Fall, I falled the test 4 times with cones about 16 inches from my bumper. Nice young cop who spoke poor english and didn't really like me. Passed my husband on his first rty tho. Finally I contacted the "kissing cop" Alberto, made a donation and was assigned a time to go to Transito. Voila! My license was ready! In Novemner the Commandante changes and this web board reported many people saying the old pay and get a license had returned. Victor, an older cop gives the test as of November and for a donation....... You get a license. I made my arrangements through Alberto's wife who has a small store near Magana in Riberas. Good Luck!

The easiet solution is to get a different insurance agent. Most insurance companies don't require you to have a Mexican drivers license.

I agree with the last poster. Insurance requires having a valid driving license...from just about anywhere. Think about all the snowbirds that require Mexican Insurance...I doubt many of them have a Mexican Driver's License.

No, its at the corner of Flavio Romero and Guerrero.

That information is correct. You renew at the recaudadera, on Degollado; a different location.

Yes, The OP does need a new insurance agent; one who knows what he is talking about.

I think alot of Canadians and Americans are getting all cranked up just because Mexico is bringing their regulations more in line with NOB. Up north your vehicle must be titled / registered and you must be licenced (drivers licence) in the state or province you live. If you move to another state or province guess what; new title / registration, plates and new drivers licence from that state or province.

If Canadians want to buy a car in the US because it is cheaper than in Canada; then you have to legally import the vehicle to Canada and pay tax at the rate the vehicle would have cost in Canada. Canadians have 45 days from the date of the vehicle crossing into Canada to officially import and to register that vehicle in Canada.

Alot of people here have had a free ride (no pun intended) for many years; expired tags and registration / plates from a state they probably never visited.

Personally I think that if you are a permanent resident here then it is reasonable that should at least have a Jalisco drivers licence.

Because it is common for Mexican insurers to require a Mexican drivers licence for Mexican plated cars ... which is what they have

I've never heard of that requirement before so it couldn't be common. I've had a Mexican plated car off and on since 1988.

I just looked at my Jalisco drivers license and it says I have to renew it on 1/4/2013, or the first of April. The last time I renewed my license, I had to take a vision test, and it was quite simple. Does anyone have any idea when one goes to renew his license? On the date it expires? I went five months late, 4 years ago and it didn't matter. This time I would like to do it on time or early.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

PS: I sure wish the office was still in Riberas and not in Chapala :)

PSS: Folks were talking about the Mexican written test and drivers test,earlier. I didn't have to take one the first time I got a Mexican license because I had an active license from the states or Canada. I don't know if that still applies. I'm told I do not have to take one this time either, because I am simply renewing my Jalisco license.

Archived