Chapala.com Webboard

Guachimontes

carib

Carib, hopefully the link below is the Google map and directions. And hopefully you have a Jalisco map. The way I recommend is to go to Jocotepec, go thru town, turn north on the highway, then turn left to Tala (where the sugar mills are), then head toward Ahualulco, You are going to a town called Teuchitlan. Go thru town (there is a museum in town but do the ruins first) and keep going until you hit Guachimontones. It takes about an hour and a half. Sunday is NOT the best day, to my mind, as you have to walk up a bit of a steep road to the top of the ruins--other days you can drive up and park the car at the top. There are fish restaurants at the top of the lake near Teuchitlan, but I like to go for lunch at the restored Hacienda El Carmen, which is a few miles beyond Teuchitlan. You can Google details on the Hacienda; a reservation is desirable but I have gone without one.

https://maps.google.com.mx/maps?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&q=where+is+4420+W+Holladay+St+Tucson+Arizona%3F&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x86d6783a8846f753:0xcca7fd41aa72985,4420+W+Holladay+St,+Tucson,+AZ+85746,+USA&gl=mx&ei=PQEtUIW6NcWGyQHIyICABQ&ved=0CBUQ8gEwAA

Note: you may find yourself thinking, "Why did they put these ruins in the middle of nowhere?"

This link is for somewhere in Arizona (where is 4420 W Holladay St Tucson Arizona?).

My wife and I visited lake Chapala last March (2012) and as we were in the vicinity we took in some local haunts. Los Guachimontones is on the road to Tepic North East of Guadalajara. These circular pyramids are interesting with very little oral history but interesting visual museum display. Check it out on Google earth.It is a worthwhile trip. These days you can still climb one of the more dilapidated ones to see the surrounding area unlike Chichin Itza in the Yucatan which is a wonderful ruin but out of bounds for us mere mortals sadly! Here is a shot from Panoramio

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/65811073?source=wapi&referrer=kh.google.com

The Phil Weigand museum recently opened there close to the ruins. It's very interesting. You will want to check it out. They are closed on Mondays.

We are taking a tour there on Friday, the 1st. We have seats available if you would like to hop in with us. On the drive we show a video about the ruins so you will have more of an idea of what you are seeing when you get there. Let us know if you would like to come along.

Archived