Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for laser printer repair in Lake Chapala area

cookj5

I have a Brother HL-5140 laser printer I bought about 6 years ago. It has worked fine until just recently when it started to go on "pause" when I hit "print" and sometimes will print out several pages of gibberish instead of the material I want. I am able to work around the problem by shutting the printer off to clear its memory, or only printing a document one page at a time, but it is annoying and time-consuming to do so. I don't think it is a mechanical problem.

Anyone know a reliable, reasonably-priced printer repair person who handles laser printers? Failing that, does anyone know where I can get a reliable B&W laser printer at a reasonable cost?

Check to make sure it is the printer and not the print driver (or software) on your computer.

Unplug printer and leave it off for a while than try again later.

Install it on another computer and if it does the same thing it is the printer. If it works remove

the print driver from the computer where it did not and reinstall the print driver.

It sounds more like a software problem than a hardware problem.

Actually it sounds like the computer is using the wrong driver to feed the printer. If I knew which OS you were using I can tell you how to check it.

HP has a complete set of drivers on their website that you can download that will probably fix the problem.

HP has a complete set of drivers on their website that you can download that will probably fix the problem.

I wouldn't expect to find drivers for a Brother printer on HP's website.

Try: http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/dlf/download_top.html?reg=us&c=us〈=en∏=hl5140_all

If a new driver doesn't work, Walmart has (last time I looked) Samsung laser printers for $890 pesos. Probably a lot cheaper than getting your old one fixed.

I wouldn't expect to find drivers for a Brother printer on HP's website.

Try: http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/dlf/download_top.html?reg=us&c=us〈=en∏=hl5140_all

If a new driver doesn't work, Walmart has (last time I looked) Samsung laser printers for $890 pesos. Probably a lot cheaper than getting your old one fixed.

OOPs. That's what I get for reading before a shower and coffee....

I agree that you should uninstall the Brother software and download the newest version from the link Cumudgen gave you. If it is still spitting out gibberish after you have done this, then go buy a new one. Printers, in general, cost more to fix than replace. If it is 6 years old, you got your money's worth.

Guest verchiel

I took my 5-year-old Canon printer to Martin on Ocampo and he fixed it within days. Runs better now than it did when it was new, but that's probably my imagination because I was so grateful.

Archived