Chapala.com Webboard

Where to find steel-cut oats (irish oatmeal)

CowgirlMX

go solar, are you sure you dont need a flame tamer? (where do they sell that here)? w/even a small flame, the oats would burn. (??) its only 3 parts water to 1 part oats. that is not much wather for overnight. i am afraid of waking up w/smoke thru the house & a burnt pot. (i have done that w/brown rice, even w/ much more water, & i was home, & believe me it dosnt take long for this to happen). any advice? i cant burn this house down!! what about cooking them when i am awake, like all day long, thats an option. re heat in morning.

bennie, you've made a reading fan out of me...you're too funny ;)

Here's the shortcut method:

Boil four cups of water in a pot. Add 1 cup of steel cut oats and simmer 1 minute. Cover pot and store overnight in refrigerator. The next morning cook the oatmeal on low for 9-12 minutes; stirring occasionally. This recipe prepares 4 servings.

or

Mixing Directions for Irish Porridge:

Into four cups of briskly boiling water sprinkle one cup of oatmeal, stirring well. When the porridge is smooth and beginning to thicken, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes, stitrring occasionally. Traditionally served with fresh buttermilk, Irish porridge is also good with milk or cream and brown sugar or honey, or with butter.

bennie,

Check the recipe again - you only bring it to a boil, then turn off the heat completely and leave the pot covered overnight. In the morning you have fully cooked oats, ready to re-heat and eat. Delicious and the pot is very easy to clean as well.

Try it!

I found Quaker Oats at Walmart..and they are the slow cook version. But I did find a 'flame tamer' for very cheap at Superlake last yr. One needs that here, the gas burns too hot and too fast....good luck. I love porridge too.

Archived