Chapala.com Webboard

Lakesidecrime.com is now LakeChapalaCrime.com

simpsca

For all the site is it is missing more than a few of the recent Las Salvias burglaries and from last week the two early morning while people were home burglaries in the east Ajijic village area. Of the four this week in the west south central Ajijic area only one is reported.

Why does no one use this to report to the greater area what is going on? We know 5 households which have been burgled recently and only one has decided many weeks after the fact to think about putting it out there.

Any ideas why people don't use the website? Any ideas how to make it more important for people to report incidents on there? Otherwise its fairly useless.

a neighbor/friend can report it as well. you dont have to give the exact street, but general area. i am sure if the victim objects the site will take the report off. there has been only one burgulary (sevral years ago) where the woman made me swear i wouldnt report. (i said i would not report the location or the frac name, i wanted to report method of the breakin to help others). the victim said she knew it was a "well known construction comp, who had an ad in the xxxx" & they were "working down the block". she was afraid they would see the crime site. (a bit of a stretch). btw, she told many people she was going on vacation. seemed like a new person so i didnt write the report.

Well...I guess the people stressed by the robbery think that is a waste of time to make a report if this action won´t solve the situation. ...same reason because people don´t want to report with MP....

It's not a matter that reporting a crime to LakeChapalaCrime.com will result in action by the authorities, but that those of us who read it can be aware of problem areas. If it's a neighborhood you live in you can take measures to protect yourself. If you read the website it mentions specific things that are going on lakeside and how to prevent a type of crime, be aware, take precautions. When my ATM card was cloned after using it in a certain machine and card cloning became a frequent problem about a year ago, people started using machines that did not seem to have problems. I overheard people standing in line that they read LakeChapalaCrime and they were avoiding certain ATMs but this one was OK.

Another important bit of information on the website points out how to prevent a pick pocket and points out some recent events.

So if you know someone who had a crime committed against them and they are too traumatized to report it, you can report it for them leaving out personal details, but mention the neighborhood like the person above did in pointing out some trouble spots.

So if you know of a crime report it here at http://www.lakechapalacrime.com/

unless someone is used to reading it...out of sight, out of mind.

It's nice to see some "relax" in that people are recognizing this is how it is, it doesn't need to be alarming, there's the ability to let the online community know without giving all the details to protect privacy and we have options for securing our homes. It's a global problem as I see it, as my own home town sure isn't what it was when I was living there. Things have been happening there over the past 2 years and even more recently that we would never of dreamt but it is what it is and folks are having to make changes. I feel safer in my home here than I would up there as things are set in place so we can go about our business. As so many have already stated, be in this thread or another, there's some pretty obvious things that people can look for as far as being wide open and unprotected, boy don't think for a moment that because the house has been standing that long that it must be ok as is. Be ready with your security checklist and don't settle for less.

It's not just that times are rough. Some people are lazy and don't want to work a real job. They can make more money in one day robbing a house than holding down a job. That's their lifestyle, with no remorse or repercussions, there's no change...this coming from friends both here and there.

The thing needs to be more widely known. Except for simpsca, who relentlessly posts about the site on every website I've ever visited, I'd probably forget about it entirely. Unknown is unused. It doesn't help at all that the url for the site seems to change every few months.

Not everybody gathers their information exclusively from the internet.

And another thing.

I know a woman whose son was abducted from the malecon in Ajijic just before Christmas. He was found dead the next day. News of that event appeared briefly on the website (whatever the url was back then), but was removed. And then or shortly thereafter there was some message about how the website was only going to be about "crimes against expats".

I don't know if that policy has changed since then, but I immediately lost interest in it as a resource, entirely.

The thing needs to be more widely known. Except for simpsca, who relentlessly posts about the site on every website I've ever visited, I'd probably forget about it entirely. Unknown is unused. It doesn't help at all that the url for the site seems to change every few months.

Not everybody gathers their information exclusively from the internet.

And another thing.

I know a woman whose son was abducted from the malecon in Ajijic just before Christmas. He was found dead the next day. News of that event appeared briefly on the website (whatever the url was back then), but was removed. And then or shortly thereafter there was some message about how the website was only going to be about "crimes against expats".

I don't know if that policy has changed since then, but I immediately lost interest in it as a resource, entirely.

Yes, we did post the information about the person that was abducted in Ajijic. Shortly thereafter someone let us know that the information that was posted could possibly put his family in harms way. So - yes, it was deleted and a decision was made not to publish information in the future that might bring harm to someone else.

Sorry about the URL change - yes, someone new did take over the site last year and they elected to change the URL. When they suddenly decided to close the site, the previous url - lakesidecrime - was no longer available.
Solajjijic - you said - Any ideas how to make it more important for people to report incidents on there? Otherwise its fairly useless. At the same time you mentioned crimes that you were aware of that hadn't been reported. As Bennie said, if you are aware of the facts of a crime, please take a moment to report them - if you don't, we agree, the site is useless.
And the site is for the community - if crimes are not reported, the site is useless. Historically about 15% of local crimes seem to be reported - which has always made it borderline useless. Right now it would appear that a lot is going on. Seems to me, more criminal activity than usual. And it seems to me that the community would want to know this. But not up to me - it is up to you all.

And the site is for the community - if crimes are not reported, the site is useless. Historically about 15% of local crimes seem to be reported - which has always made it borderline useless. Right now it would appear that a lot is going on. Seems to me, more criminal activity than usual. And it seems to me that the community would want to know this. But not up to me - it is up to you all.

It's "the wave" and who in the world could judge if it's more than usual if historically you think only 15% were reported? It isn't just here, I've read many reports in the El Informador & Milenio online newspapers over the past few months that it's all over Mexico plus other problems besides this and it's been happening for years.

Has the site ran an add in El Ojo del Lago or Guadalajara Reporter? That's going to get the best coverage to the English community. You'd think since it's a free community service those English reading materials would also run a little space for free, no?

it is important to report breakins & armed robberies. the people in those areas need to know what to watch out for, also its a great help to know how they got in. then others can secure their property better. i dont know if this site would do a link to lakechapala crime.com, but someone here can post links as crimes occur. i look@ the crime site once a week.

For all the site is it is missing more than a few of the recent Las Salvias burglaries and from last week the two early morning while people were home burglaries in the east Ajijic village area. Of the four this week in the west south central Ajijic area only one is reported.

Why does no one use this to report to the greater area what is going on? We know 5 households which have been burgled recently and only one has decided many weeks after the fact to think about putting it out there.

Any ideas why people don't use the website? Any ideas how to make it more important for people to report incidents on there? Otherwise its fairly useless.

Perhaps the reason more people don't post is that many don't know about it. There are many, many people who do not go on line and follow these web boards.

read my other comment. someone needs to start a yahoo group for crime. the other 2 which began in may are inactive. also i saw a sign in the chapala soc. announcing the lakechapalacrime site. there should be more flyers.

I was putting out flyers but broke foot and recently had foot surgery. They come down very fast so I have to put them up at least once a week. But now I can't but will get back to putting up flyers when I'm able. I have no affiliation with the website but did get the permission of the owners to put up flyers. So for now chat groups will have to do.

Apparently there is more people that does not want to talk about crime than residents that want to know. Apparently people is reluctantly to report incidents to the site, they do not want go to MP, 2 crime internet groups died.....I guess if we start another it will die too after some days....

Having made several trips to the M.P. in the past regarding break-ins, attempted rape, etc., I have learned it is such a waste of time and nothing but an irritation. My husband and I both speak Spanish. Mine is OK, his is excellent so language is not the issue. The total lack of willingness to investigate crimes and the pathetic percentages of actual arrests even when the M.P. and Police have been given details as to the name, location, etc. of the perpetrator is disheartening.

I fully understand why many are unwilling to bother...

With that said...i find information posted on the crime reporting websites to be very valuable and informative. It helps us learn patterns/locations/methods of operation, etc. While it may not stop the crime, it helps us try and prepare our homes/cars/persons in hopes that we will not be the next target.

Valerie :)

• 3 years later...

I live in the central part of Ajijic and my house has been broken into twice in four months. The last time, in Febuary there was quite a lot of damage trying to enter but it was  accomplished. Property loss was more then $3000.00 and damage repair costs was in excess of $1500.00

There was a eyewitness that identified the burglar, but refuses to testify for fear of repercussions toward his family. They also wanted to be paid for information.

To make matters worse, the intruders were both part of extended family members of Ajijic, and they both still walk the streets unmolested. I was told its best to not upset the family. This gringo member of a large Mexican family has decided to return to N.O.B.      

Archived