Chapala.com Webboard

I found this interesting since mention of rerporting crimes has come up.

This was forwarded to us by a Mexican friend.

"The large number of cases that the Jalisco State Attorney General’s Office (PGJE) “shelves” serves as “an incentive” to criminals to “carry on as normal,” University of Guadalajara (UDG) professor Dante Haro told Spanish-language daily Mural this week.

According to the PGJE’s own figures, no arrests were made in 345,208 investigations – 75 percent of the total – carried out between January 1, 2007 and October 31 2012."

Thanks

Sally

"The large number of cases that the Jalisco State Attorney General’s Office (PGJE) “shelves” serves as “an incentive” to criminals to “carry on as normal,” University of Guadalajara (UDG) professor Dante Haro told Spanish-language daily Mural this week.

According to the PGJE’s own figures, no arrests were made in 345,208 investigations – 75 percent of the total – carried out between January 1, 2007 and October 31 2012."

Thanks

Sally

That was in the Guad Report Paper last week.

You are kidding bennie. There are all kind of reasons why. Here is just one very good reason bennie. (sure I hoped the police would find the perp when I reported the break-in, but they didn't). Apparently the most important reason I made a report was that before I could turn in a claim to my insurance company, I needed to report the crime to the appropriate authorities (MP)

Like I said, sadly if the perp was caught, no one ever got back to me to tell me, but the insurance company came through and paid me for the loss within a few months. (Oh, this was maybe 8 to 10 years ago). My insurance carrier told me I had to make a report to the appropriate authorities, before they would even consider my claim.

These days, my security is much much better, and the closest anyone got was getting too close to the property line (a couple of cm) ......... (No I'm not going to explain. Maybe someone reading this is one of the bad guys- No, I don't think you are bennie ) But to make a long story short those getting too close were discovered and left as fast as they could.

Reporting helps but also realizing that the system is different and takes repeated trips and sometimes helping the authorities whether it be buying them lunch, making repeated visits or driving them to the crime scene or outbidding the bad guys. This is reality, get used to it, you cannot fail to accept the aforementioned and sit back and pay $100US a year in property taxes and actually expect things to work the same as they do in the US or Canada!

I am amazed at how many people down here don't even house basic house insurance. Would you not have house insurance North of the Border? On the West Coast we couldn't afford earthquake insurance - ir was more than our house was worth. Here, it is very affordable. Why not have insurance? If you are robbed, it is worth it.

"sadly if the perp was caught, no one ever got back to me to tell me". Never happen unless you are proactive.

I was the victim of a crime. I went to MP and made my report. I told the prosecutor I wasn't going to give up until I had justice. I made a total of 17 visits to his office, until he was sick of seeing my face and sent the paperwork to the judge.

One thing that all of you must understand, in the case of a serious crime (I think that involves anything over about 80,000 pesos). If the prosecutor makes the charge, and the judge says he doesn't have the evidence to make the charge, then under Mexican law that prosecutor can then be sentenced to prison for the same term he was pushing for. Think about that for a minute, and then wonder why they sometimes hesitate to go for it.

It helps to have a sharp, streetsmart lawyer too.

peter, for insurance yes- report the crime. other than that, why report? why wine & dine, if your valuables are worth more than that? you wont get them back. OR the police will find them & take them. police dont take fingerprints. if they did they would match so many breakins & home invasions. then what? they dont even put people in jail. this is not the same culture, so why bother? i dont need to help them w/statisitics. so there will be a few more crimes to add to the 345, thousand UNinvestigated crimes.

The point is that if you think you can go report a crime here, and then sit back and something will happen, you are sadly mistaken.

If you are a victim, get off your rear end, take along an abogado or someone who speaks Spanish, get to know the process, follow up, follow up and follow up with MP. I did that in my case. Wore them down, the MP brought charges and brought the person in. The judge agreed and I was paid back for what I had lost.

If the prosecutor makes the charge, and the judge says he doesn't have the evidence to make the charge, then under Mexican law that prosecutor can then be sentenced to prison for the same term he was pushing for. Think about that for a minute, and then wonder why they sometimes hesitate to go for it.

I would seriously question that statement and if and until I am cited some Mexican law that proves that statement, I am going to assign it to the "Urban Mexican Legends" folder, right next to the "Only Cruz Roja can help an accident victim and if you help, even if you saved their life, you have violated Mexican law" folder.

Thanks

Sally

Thanks

Sally

thanks for sharing this information

If the prosecutor makes the charge, and the judge says he doesn't have the evidence to make the charge, then under Mexican law that prosecutor can then be sentenced to prison for the same term he was pushing for. Think about that for a minute, and then wonder why they sometimes hesitate to go for it.

I would seriously question that statement and if and until I am cited some Mexican law that proves that statement, I am going to assign it to the "Urban Mexican Legends" folder, right next to the "Only Cruz Roja can help an accident victim and if you help, even if you saved their life, you have violated Mexican law" folder.

Thanks

Sally

I seriously doubt you have quoted the Mexican law correctly. You "might" be thinking of the laws if a procecutor is violating the human rights of an individual and facing court but would be a sentence that could be imposed for that specific federal offence. To quote the same sentence a procecutor was pushing for sounds more like another Mexican urban legend. IMO

I am not a lawyer but was told this by the prosecutor. Intercasa can chime in if he wants to confirm that I have the correct reference to the law..

I believe this is covered under the Federal Penal Code, Book Two

BOOK TWO
TÍTULO DÉCIMOPRIMEROS:

OFFENSES COMMITTED AGAINST THE ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICE

CHAPTER I: OFFENSES COMMITTED BY PUBLIC SERVANTS

Article 225:

XX. Ordenar la aprehensión de un individuo por delito que no amerite pena privativa de libertad, o en casos en que no preceda denuncia, acusación o querella; o realizar la aprehensión sin poner al detenido a disposición del juez en el término señalado por el párrafo tercero del artículo 16 de la Constitución;

XX. Order the arrest of an individual for a crime that does not merit imprisonment, or in cases where no earlier complaint, indictment or complaint, or to make the arrest and bring the detainee before a judge in the period specified by the third paragraph of Article 16 of the Constitution;

The penalty prescribed for the above is 4 to 10 years imprisonment and a fine of 1000 to 2000 salaries. The prison term for a person convicted of serious theft is about 6 years.

I am not a lawyer but was told this by the prosecutor. Intercasa can chime in if he wants to confirm that I have the correct reference to the law..

I believe this is covered under the Federal Penal Code, Book Two

BOOK TWO

TÍTULO DÉCIMOPRIMEROS:

OFFENSES COMMITTED AGAINST THE ADMINISTRATION OF JUSTICE

CHAPTER I: OFFENSES COMMITTED BY PUBLIC SERVANTS

Article 225:

XX. Ordenar la aprehensión de un individuo por delito que no amerite pena privativa de libertad, o en casos en que no preceda denuncia, acusación o querella; o realizar la aprehensión sin poner al detenido a disposición del juez en el término señalado por el párrafo tercero del artículo 16 de la Constitución;

XX. Order the arrest of an individual for a crime that does not merit imprisonment, or in cases where no earlier complaint, indictment or complaint, or to make the arrest and bring the detainee before a judge in the period specified by the third paragraph of Article 16 of the Constitution;

The penalty prescribed for the above is 4 to 10 years imprisonment and a fine of 1000 to 2000 salaries. The prison term for a person convicted of serious theft is about 6 years.

Thanks for bringing this up here. Good to know. Alan

This law applies to stop authorities from taking people off the streets alleging a crime and then not turning them over to a judge. Its application doesn't apply as the OP thought, this crime happens only if the prosecutor arrests you and then keeps you and doesn't present you to a judge, which really amounts to official kidnapping.

intercasa is correct, & again rumors as usual. think about it, all the lawyers would go of business if they couldnt bring someone to court. juan: no one will go for 17 visits, but i am happy it paid off for you. (maybe you brought a mexican friend)? i know a case of a couple, american man w/mexican wife. the police wouldnt listen to the man, & he spoke spanish. so the mexican spouse handled it. took months of visits, but eventually the criminals were put in jail for 6 months. what they told me is that the police never help expats. but maybe in your case this was an exception? i myself wouldnt go thru this.

Archived