Chapala.com Webboard

Where to find things?

FHBOY

As a newbie, I will need your help to locate stuff. I hope y'all don't mind.

Right now we are in need of outdoor lounge chairs, not the real expensive kind, but the type we coudl buy NOB to take to the beach. Wal-Mart doesn't have them, the outdoor furniture place near Super Lake has expensive ones. Any suggestions?

The outdoor furniture season is about to start here and I would expect Walmart to have stocks soon. It may not seem like it to you, or me for that fact, but it is winter at the moment and outdoor furniture is a seasonal item. However, the season is longer here than NOB.

As a newbie, I will need your help to locate stuff. I hope y'all don't mind.

Right now we are in need of outdoor lounge chairs, not the real expensive kind, but the type we coudl buy NOB to take to the beach. Wal-Mart doesn't have them, the outdoor furniture place near Super Lake has expensive ones. Any suggestions?

This is the "go to" place for finding stuff. I've seen what you want in WalMart, they just don't have it quite yet.

We had winter several weeks ago. Starting to feel like Spring already! Maybe what you're looking for will be out soon. Also check Soriana.

THIS IS WINTER!?!?!?

Wow! Being a Newbie from the Mid Atlantic does have it's advantages.

I'll sell all you veterans my parka and ski jacket. Any bidders?

BTW - thanks for the hint - I'll wait a couple of weeks until Spring (?)

No, that's what I'm telling you. We had winter two weeks ago. If you weren't careful, you could have slept through it.

The stores just haven't caught up to the reality yet. You could probably find what you're looking for at the beach right now. Sounds like a great excuse for a beach trip!

Maskara's clinic is in Riberas as you head to Chapala from Ajijic. It is on the right (lake) side of the Carretera past Cafe Magana. Upscale Resale is beyond that on the same side of the street. Watch for a stand-alone sign. It's just before Dr. Pinto, the eye doctor's office. There's also a resellit place by Cafe Magana too that's worth checking out.

There are also several resale shops just outside Chapala as you are getting to the main intersection. If you go thru the main intersection there are a couple more resale/consignment places a couple of blocks down (on the right I think).

Don't remember if Barbara's Bazar has furniture. Haven't been there in a while.

Also check bulletin boards at SuperLake, WalMart, El Torito and LCS for sales by individuals. Also there is a "For sale" classifieds section in the back of El Ojo Del Lago magazine which you can pick up free around town.

All of these may be "bigger" furniture than wha you are looking for but hopefully it will help :)

The outdoor furniture season is about to start here and I would expect Walmart to have stocks soon. It may not seem like it to you, or me for that fact, but it is winter at the moment and outdoor furniture is a seasonal item. However, the season is longer here than NOB.

you can find these things in camping gear,bazars ets....

Yeah, the portable beach lounge chair. I'm learning "patience" a new Mexican concept. So When I get around to it, and the stores get around to stocking them, I'll pick them up. Those brown resin chairs just don't make it.

Yes indeedy, FHBoy, the seasons here take some getting used to. First;(now)what passes for winter has been happening for about a month, after which we segue into spring. (Lovely)Then, around April, it starts heating up and by May, you'll be good and hot until around July, at which time the monsoon season starts and you have warm rains. Also fine, and everything turns green. Then, my favorite time: September through most of November. Doesn't rain at that point; fine spring weather again. Second best climate on planet Earth. The best is someplace in South Africa.

Now, about finding things: The Barbara's Bazaar everybody's talking about is on Independencia, half block west of Colon. Has tons of stuff. Then, if you drive East toward Chapala, there are several used furniture and "stuff" places on your left. Very nice outdoor furniture is in Guadalajara at Home Depot, but $$$. They do have the plastic stuff, too. Walmart should start having it very soon. Ask on here, too. Someone may be moving and want to sell theirs.

Welcome!

The above was a new question. SWMBO and I occasionally like to go swimming. Once this cold winter weather and chilly early spring is over, is there a place where we can find a swimming pool to go to? We do not want to join a club as we will not use the facilities on a regular basis. I had heard, in a previous visit, that there a a private/public pool somewhere on the road to Joco (?). It had an adult area, and a kids area, and you could get drinks and snacks (?) Anyone

It's in San Juan Cosala...public baths

Gringo days are Tues and Wed.

They change the water on Mon or Tues and it's clean after the

use during the weekend,

Head west, pass all the fish restaurants and you'll see a sign

that says "BALNEARIO [swimming pool] I think it's there,

but right after the restaurants look left for the road to the pool

The following information is 2nd hand:

There is a B&B in San Juan Cosala (The Purple Door) and this costs 20 pesos a visit; this B&B can also make private accommodations; their pool is solar heated and it is really warm--lots of solar panels plus full sun.

Good luck FHBoy; I'd invite you to our pool but it's too chilly right now. We plan on having solar panels installed in the near future and then look at an efficient way to heat it in these fresher months.

Hotel Montecarlo, in Chapala, offers day memberships for pool use. when you start exploring the back roads, you will find other balnareos, both fancy and plain. So, carry a towel and your suits when you go exploring. There is also that beach, not far from here but not on Lake Chapala, where you might enjoy a swim and the adjacent restaurant, which I mentioned to you on Friday.

Beware of plastic furniture, if you plan to leave it in the sun. At this altitude and with so much sunny weather, the plastic does not last long.

Isn't there a place with hot pools in the area? Possibly in Ajijic? I went there once and I think they wanted 200ps. for the day. We didn't go in as we only wanted an hour and then eat lunch.

Archived