Chapala.com Webboard

Tacos - Need Info

Malaya

Well when I am on a strict diet I do mushroom tacos. Just saute with some garlic and salt ( maybe a drop of butter) and drop of olive oil. You then can eat them on a leaf of lettuce with hotsauce.

Obviously no match for the original but not bad.

I fry nopales on the grill. Pretty good. Just add salt. With some boiled beans are great. Just had some this morning with eggs.

There are water vapor cooked tacos + Al vapor, that if you eat with just one tortilla ( not fried) might not be too bad.

There is a great place in Riberas. Probably one of the best at lakeside. Tacos Light. ( even the name is diet) They are just to west of Maskaras. The lip and cheek steamed tacos are out of this world.

One easy way for even non-cooks to lower cholesterol is to have old fashioned oatmeal every morning for breakfast. A bag of rolled oatmeal in the supermarket is about 15 pesos for a kilo, enough for a month or more. Boil 2 parts water (you could start with 8 oz), add 1 part oatmeal (4 oz to start) to the boiling water, cover the pot. Then bring it back to a boil and then reduce the heat to low for another 3-4 minutes. Turn off the heat and let it sit for another few minutes.

Add a tablespoon of honey and/or sliced fresh fruit and then coat the top of your oatmeal with ground cinnamon. The cinnamon will also help to lower your cholesterol count. DON'T USE OR ADD ANY MILK. Eat and enjoy.

Just this small change in diet may drop your total cholesterol count by 40 points.

Sometimes, walmart has delicious nopale "salad", the containers are in the same place by the roasted chicken, in the side where the already cook food is! they sell just few of this nopal salad, so maybe earlier we will have more chance to find them.

You can also get really good and 100% natural tortillas from the new store on the carretera in Ajijic across from the OXXO in the old Sony store location.

We get the Linaza (Flaxseed) they are like $14p I don't remember how many in a package.

They have other kinds also.

Wow these are some great ideas. Thanks Hensley for the natural tortillas. I'll try them with some of the other suggestions.

RV...I can do basics :) I can boil an egg. Pour coffee from a pot if someone sets it up and I have numbers for all the local delivery places :)

Unfortunately someone else has been doing all the cooking for 17 years.

Archived