Chapala.com Webboard

New insurance for expats?

I have spent a lot of time on the boomers-in-paradise.org site and am curious? They seem to be linked to "Best Doctors" health insurance, a quality player in the expat health insurance market. It appeares to me they are a start-up offering group rates.

The wedsite doesn't quote any rates or detail any coverage.

Does anyone have any info on this group?

Bill

We currently have expat medical insurance from healthcare international. I have reviewed the coverage from Boomers in Paradise and it is far superior for catastropic coverage than what we currently have. I have just contacted Valerie to see how we go about getting more info and a quote. Looks to me like this is group coverage which is a very good thing. I will report back once I have more info.

A friend of mine here has just signed up with them and we will most likely be doing the same. I like the fact that this policy covers cronic diseases without limit - ie: cancer, heart problems etc. Definately looks good.

I joined the Boomers-in-Paradise group in order to get the fabulous deal on catastrophic insurance .... I am sooo happy with the policy and coverage and I can relax now, even though I have Canadian insurance and IMSS ... this is the insurance I wanted and needed ... worth every penny ... everyone should look into it and decide whether or not it's worth it for themselves but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be ... it's supercalifabriliciousexpialadocious ... or whatever ... look into it! It's such a gift for Boomers down here .... Thank You, Ava & Val ...

It is 900 USD a year plus 48 USD membership. There is a 5000USD deductible per annum. It does not cover everything but does cover the major problems such as heart, cancer, stroke and uses the best hospitals in Guadalajara, you are free to choose your own doctors and it is international in scope.

I have IMSS and will keep it as well but I am feeling much more relaxed now that I have that policy.

Question..................I notice that this coverage includes the USA. We are Canadians and have limited coverage back home.

Question is................are we able to obtain a policy thru Boomers that would "exclude" treatment in the states and thus reduce the premiums? Our current expat policy thur Healthcare International allows us this option.

And, if any of us have any understanding about how things work down here, ... if it's "shira" approved, you can bet on it ... she is the last resort and final say on any and all goings-on about town ....

Thanks La-de-di but as the song says, it ain't necessarily so.

This insurance is not for everyone but it is good for many. This is its inception and how well it works remains to be seen.

I am keeping my IMSS as well as having this policy for two reasons. The first is that it is very affordable now. Our group is part of a larger pool. If we become a pool of our own, the costs could skyrocket. Keeping IMSS assures me I will always have some health coverage.

The second reason is that this policy, although it covers many of the major health issues experienced by seniors, it is not a blanket policy covering everything. If neccesary, IMSS could cover that which is not covered by the Boomers policy.

As to the question asked by Guiness I do know the answer but specific questions need to go to Valerie at the address or phone number previously posted.

Without seeing the details of the policy, but given the high deductible, it would seem to me that having a SkyMed contract would work as well, assuming that you have Medicare and supplementary ins or if Canadian you still qualify for Medical Care in Canada

But as mentioned each case has to be judged on its suitability for the person,etc etc

Without seeing the details of the policy, but given the high deductible, it would seem to me that having a SkyMed contract would work as well, assuming that you have Medicare and supplementary ins or if Canadian you still qualify for Medical Care in Canada

But as mentioned each case has to be judged on its suitability for the person,etc etc

The best part of it, for me, is that it is international .. ie: I could be in Timbuktu and it will cover me for whatever unexpectedly happens to me while I'm travelling ... also, I am Canadian and in an emergency, I could be back in Canada and be covered for the 3 months it would take me to be reinstated with OHIP (emergency, only, of course) ... doesn't seem like I can lose here - peace of mind for $900 a year ... no matter where I am!

For the Boomers In Paradise insurance, it's my understanding that pre existing conditions would be considered on an individual basis with some having limitations for the first year but full coverage after that - not many being totally turned down. Asking the people who actually know will garner far better answers. Valerie's contact info is given above in #4.

There are probably very specific rules/definitions on pre-existing conditions. If pre-existing is taken literally, if you had some "condition" 50-years ago (say lung issues) but had been asymptomatic for the last 45-years, you wouldn't be covered.

I know one person who had a bypass 10-years ago and no problems since then; he was told he qualifies.

Yes, individual case-by-case basis, but within the framework off the policy.

You need to read the actual policy, not a summary or advertising brochure; it's the policy that controls and nothing more. And of course you should know, and it usually says this in the policy, no statements or representations made by anyone are binding on the company and the policy terms and conditions prevail.

Just my input.

Thanks.

Sally

This policy had its inception as of January 1st so no usage as yet. We are in the process of meeting with the insurance broker who is issuing us our cards and going over how to utilize it. In most cases it will be direct pay to the hospital.

No. I have a pre-existing condition and was turned down.

Looks like anybody with pre-existing conditions is on its own with any insurance, either you have money and pay your bills or you stay back home where you got gouvernment services to pay for you. Great choices for the so called Golden Age....

Archived