Chapala.com Webboard

Does your GPS work Lakeside?

When we came down from NOB several years ago, we used our Garmin C330 Street Pilot GPS. Worked fine but come to find, we really didn't need it as the roads were pretty well marked.

Couple of years later, we got a Mexico street map SD card including Guadalajara; worked decently though it didn't really show one-way streets and when there were detours --- you get the idea. This was a few years ago.

Took it out today and dusted it off and it fired up fine, BUT, it kept "Searching for Satellite" and never connected. This is with both the Mexico card and without it.

So I'm wondering if anyone has experience with getting GPS reception in Chapala and/or Ajijic.

The unit is about 10-years old but was working fine when it was put away.

Sooooo?

Thanks.

Sally

I was having the same problem when going into Guadalajara, it would sometimes take 45 minutes to find the Satellite, so I called Garmin and they did some kind of upgrade and now it works fine, as soon as I am through the mountains it starts to work.

I've been coming to Mexico with a Garmin GPS off and on for 10 years with a Mex chip. The new one I have now works great even in my house. We left Fla several weeks ago and it never missed a road or made a mistake the whole way.

The newer Garmin has a lot better receiver. The old Street Pilot I Had needed an external antenna to put on the top of the car.

I also had a Tom Tom mounted on the windshield beside the Garmin to check each out to see which was better.

The only reason I had the Tom Tom was I got an email from Amazon offering the TT for $100 off (around $80) with built in Mex maps.

The TT sucks and I have offered it to my neighbor for free

Archived