Chapala.com Webboard

HELP! Car Totaled

ctsrle

Help! I was hit by a drunk driver (on Christmas morning) and my car was totaled. So was his. The only good thing about this is, we both walked away. He was arrested on the spot. His Guad family bailed him out. They want to settle. He has insurance and I am working with a lawyer on a settlement. My questions to the board are:

1. How do I get my old, totaled car off my FM3? My lawyer rolled her eyes. Not encouraging.

2. What do I need at the border to prove my car was totaled?

3. Do I need to go to the border to do the FM3 car removal thing?

4. I want to buy a car in the US from a friend. How do, or can I get, Mexican plates before going?

I want Mexican plates because of the new immigration mess.

5. Should I bring the car in on US plates and take care of the Mexican plates after I get it down

here?

6. Does anyone know the cost of Nationalizing/Registering a car costing $5000 US here in

Mexico? Does it go on book value?

7. Has anyone Nationalized/Registered a car that can walk me through this?

8. Is there someone out there that has been in this predicament?

This whole thing is very confusing. Everyone has a different story. I do not want to get to the border with a new (old) car and find out I'm missing some stamped paper from my old (totaled) car.

THANKS!

P.S.

I did remove my FM3 sticker from my windshield. My plates have not been returned to me yet.

Our US plated car was totaled in 2010. I had insurance through Parker Insurance. I was paid off and probably my insurance company sued Galvez Construction's insurance company as their truck collided with my parked car. I, too, got the sticker and I have a letter from my insurance company that assumes liability for the ownership of the totaled car. If we wanted to import another US plated car, then my wife would go on the record, not me. But we bought a Mexican plated car. End of problem.

I forgot to add that with all the new (potential) changes with immigration, owning a Mex plated car eliminates one big problem. Like us, consider yourself lucky you got it totaled!

Interesting that the second reference which explains the Decrees made by Pres. Calderon EXPIRE on January 31 of this year. Makes one wonder what is next.

The first one spells out just what a joke those vehicle permits are, as thousands and thousands come in without them. From the sound of it, the bribes for accomplishing same must be quite a lucrative thing for some folks.

Both very interesting, thanks for posting them Dave!

There is a step down, was 10 years old and in 2011 changed to 8, next year 2014 will be 6 years old and older.

There is a step down, was 10 years old and in 2011 changed to 8, next year 2014 will be 6 years old and older.

I thought the article said every 2 years it would step down two years, which would mean 2013 would be 6 years and older. Because it was 10 years in 2009, 8 years in 2011. So then it should be 6 years in 2013, 4 years in 2015, 2 years in 2017, and no restrictions in 2019, like the article said... Right?

So from what I understand in the article, cars that are this year 6 years old can be nationalized?

Remember, it must have been assembled in a NAFTA country. Our Japanese CRV doesn't qualify unfortunately even though theoretically this year it meets the age requirement.

• 3 weeks later...

I need to make an apology here. My lawyer, who is doing a very good job, took offense at the "Rolled her eyes" comment. I meant this as a comment about how difficult it is to keep up with the changes in official business, especially with the new immigration laws. That even lawyers realize how difficult it is for us to understand. Unfortunately, my lawyer took this as a comment about her performance. This was not intended.

My car was stolen. No theft insurance. Reported to local police, Guad number given to me and Procuduria in Chapala. Had all paperwork. When I got to border, the check-out booth gal 'rolled her eyes' and told me I had to report it to MX City to get it out of my name. If she can't scan it, she can't do it. I blew it off because car came in under old passport.

My car was stolen. No theft insurance. Reported to local police, Guad number given to me and Procuduria in Chapala. Had all paperwork. When I got to border, the check-out booth gal 'rolled her eyes' and told me I had to report it to MX City to get it out of my name. If she can't scan it, she can't do it. I blew it off because car came in under old passport.

Go to Chapala Recaudadora and explain the problem. I think you can do it from here. A friend of mine did it 2 years ago. You have to pay a fee.

Archived