Chapala.com Webboard

An important thought about $ when in Mexico/Lakeside

• I recently made a post looking for some help and offering to pay $150.
  • It dawned on me today, I might have created some confusion and so I wanted to clear it up and make some comments.
  • When I am in any country, I assume prices, unless otherwise noted, are in the currency of that country.
  • Usually there is no confusion because the number is usually preceded by the symbol of the currency, ie: for the Rupee in India, € for the Euro, ¥ for the Japanese Yen, etc.
  • I wonder how many people know how many other countries in the world use the "$" for their currency. For instanceI, the "$" sign is used for currency in the United States, Canada, Cayman Islands, Nicaragua, Samoa, and Tonga,to name those I found on a quick and dirty Google search.

I'm going to suggest two things, 1) When we see a price with a "$" sign here in Mexico, we should assume it's in Pesos (unless it either says "USD" or is clearly not in pesos when relating the number to the item. 2) If your price/number here in Mexico is in other than Pesos, make it clear what currency you are working with.

This can be a real problem, especially in ads in the Ojo or on signs at LCS where I really can't tell if the poster is working with Pesos, Canadian or U.S. currency.

Yes, I have too much time on my hands today. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Sally

I have even more time on my hands. Please note that your computer does not have a USD sign, which is an S with double vertical lines, symbolizing the U in US. It does have an S with a single vertical line, which could be for any dollar, other than USD, or even the pesos of several countries.

Oh well!

Here, is better to clarify MX PESO or USD or CANADIAN USD. Because some non-mexican are kind of arrogant and prefer to manage their lives in english and in dollars and even demand that the manuals and all what they read, must come already translated into english for their pleasure, so......

Remember the post where the guy named this Country as 3rd class country only because the appliance he bought did not have the manual in english...even that here in MX the official language is spanish.....

:)

I have even more time on my hands. Please note that your computer does not have a USD sign, which is an S with double vertical lines, symbolizing the U in US. It does have an S with a single vertical line, which could be for any dollar, other than USD, or even the pesos of several countries.

Oh well!

I have a $ above the number 4 on this computer. From the sites I checked, I think that is the U.S. dollar symbol. I did find the peso symbol which I've always seen with a $ also but it is a ₱ and I assume available on a Spanish keyboard.

If you are missing currency symbols try copying and pasting from this site: http://fsymbols.com/

There are many other sites where you can download or copy.

At a store (that catered to cruise ships) in Puerto Vallarta the owner told me this is how he marked his prices. If the dollar symbol had one vertical bar it meant pesos. If it had two it was dollars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_sign

I agree with thenewone: lots of gringos here price everything in dollars, in particular when selling or renting houses.

And not to make any kind of judgment call at all, but 150 pesos for what you want is not going to attract anybody with skill enough to give you a good result.

On my Microsoft keyboard the dollar sign is with one vertical stroke....which is fairly universal!! Just state USD, CND or P after it.

And the post which says that its better to state PESO, USD or CANADIAN USD..WHAT???? May I correct you? Either it is a CND or a USD....but what the heck is a CANADIAN USD??? Wow, how confusing is that?

$ is for either US or Cnd. and when in doubt, put the $ sign, the number and a p after the whole thing.

How to confuse the issues??? You are in MEXICO..assume it is a peso $ that is being used.

Then if you really want to confuse things, the Canadians now have one and two dollar coins. The dollar coin is called the "Loonie" and the two dollar coin, the "Toonie".

So if you bought something worth four CND. You could also say "4 loonies" or "2 toonies" so as not to confuse folks (Or should I say to confuse the H e double L out of those of us who are not Canadians

Archived