Chapala.com Webboard

A White Lab needs a good home

Wookie

Yesterday circumstances led us to taking an abandoned white lab to the vet and ultimately to Anita's Shelter. It was obvious that the lab had puppies recently, however, they had not nursed and she was in pain. She was inflamed and becoming infected from the milk so the vet gave her a shot for inflamation, pills to dry her up and antibiotic tablets for the infection caused by the lack of nursing. We were told she is a young dog ... approximately 2 years old. She was in good shape considering and was very used to people as she did not protest when we picked her up and put her in the car and she was well behaved at the vet's office. It broke my heart to have to take her to Anita's but we already have our quota of 2 dogs that are allowed in the condo where we live so the only thing we could do was tend to her immediate needs and then take her to Anita's. We were told today that white labs are rather rare and maybe if I posted this someone might want her. Please go by Anita's if you are interested in seeing this wonderful animal. She was very loving and would make a wonderful companion.

Mad_Max:

. We saw a dog in terrible distress

. We took her to a very qualified vet who treated her and advised us on what shelter's were available since we could not keep her

. She was not contagious ... her milk needed to be dried up and she needed the medication stated in my post

. If giving the medication twice a day is too much for Anita to handle, I am sure she is capable of telling me that herself as she has our telephone number and can call us at any time.

. We did not leave the dog without a donation to take care of food and I am trying to find it a home

. We did not have your knowledge of the "right" thing to do so we had to muddle through. Please post your home and cell phone so when we find ourselves in a bad and stressful situation again we can call you and you can tell us what needs to be done before we make another huge mistake.

Luke.....you did the right thing. Labs are wonderful dogs. I wish we could help, but we already have five dogs.

It seems that someone always thinks they have the best solution to suggest to others. Your act of compassion certainly outweighs the "help" of useless words. Thank you for caring for the lab.

The fact that the dog should not have been taken to Anita's was a constructive suggestion. I find it amazing that both of you have responded with personal criticism - rather than perhaps coming to the conclusion that maybe this wasn't a good idea. So maybe both of you want to donate some of your "time" to help her and visit her real world.

The problem here, Mad_Max, as I see it is that you responded with what felt like personal criticism since the dog had already been left at Anita's. Maybe a better thing to have said was that Dr. Pepe's might be considered next time along with a phone number, address or location of this Dr. Pepe. Unless a person knows that there is another option at the time the situation is happening it does no good whatsoever for that option to be available .... because it isn't! Then you want to respond that I need to donate some of my "time" and visit Anita's real world ... this is a hateful way to talk to someone in circumstances that you don't even know. We are going to continue trying to find this dog a home and we will continue making donations for the care of this dog .... however, at the moment this is all I am physically able to do.

Not that it is any of your business, but since you have made it such, I volunteered at the other shelter when we first moved here until I fell at that facility and had to have surgery on my back and shoulder as a result of that fall.

Please don't continue hi-jacking this topic with your opinions. This topic was meant to be there for people that might be interested in adopting this dog .... or any other they might see if they go to see this one. Getting this dog and all the others for that matter is the important thing and believe me, I will look up this Dr. Pepe now that I am aware he will take sick dogs off the street and if the circumstances arise again I will certainly leave the dog with him.

Anita's was the better place to take her - more room. Taking care of animals is what Anita wants to do, if she did not she would not do it. You did everything right.

Maybe a picture of her could be posted so that she gets more exposure. Lake Chapala Dog Center does a great job of posting for Anita, maybe they could help with the pic.

Thank you for caring enough about her.

Again, thank you Luke.

And for those who have so many "constructive" suggestions , I take offense that you feel the need to make suggestions to me as to what I should do with my time. I will leave it there as I feel that I am being baited and I do not want to be reprimanded or banned from this board.

The purpose of this thread was to find a home for a white lab.....not to be lectured by other members.

Could we start over and just try to help this dog get adopted.

Is there a picture? Do you need help posting it. Have you put the dog on Craigslist for Guadalajara? Pictures on all the boards around town.

Let's find this beautiful dog a home please.

We saw that dog yesterday and it was a hideous thing to see, she was so engorged. She was travelling at a determined clip down the highway , it was pretty obvious that she had been dumped.

She ls on the smallish side , looks young and otherwise healthy and will be a great dog for someone.

Luke you did a very kind thing for that dog, she was suffering and you did what you could.

Betsy is correct, this little mama was terribly engorged. It was my thinking that any pictures be taken and posted when she recovers from this ordeal. My circumstances are that I will not be able to go back out to Anita's until Tuesday of this coming week. I can report on this forum the lab's health progress and then if someone that knows how to post pictures on the different web sites would help do that I would be very grateful. I also thought maybe when she gets well I would have her bathed and walk her around town with a small sign that she needs a home? The reason I thought of doing that is because when we adopted one of our dogs from the shelter when she was a puppy, she was very ill and we carried her everywhere with us until she got well. People stopped us to look at her (she was and is soooooo cute) :) and just that exposure got her other 5 brother and sisters adopted. Of course, they were puppies but this lab is a sweetheart also. Of course, she will need to be spayed and checked out really good by a vet. But right now, we have been told the medication she has now is what is needed at the moment.

Thank everyone so much for the helpful suggestions and offers to help find her a home.

Photos are due to be taken at Anita ‘s this coming Monday January 14

by the photographer from LakeChapala Dog website,

and not doubt this gal will be among those photographed.

Hopefully by then this sweet girl will also be feeling better by then.

Anita knows her abilities to take on the care of a sick / injured animal.

Last week Anita took in a small cute poodle type dog that had been attacked

by a pitbull – it had a huge deep wide wound on it’s back.

It’s owner surrendered the dog as she could not take care of it.

Vet Pepe examined the dog and the wound and prescribed treatment which Anita

is doing twice a day.. the wound is healing nicely.

So in a few weeks this little dog will have her photo taken and be available for adoption.

Saw Anita this morning to ask about this lab lady ..

A happy turn of events occurred with this dog .

A family from across the lake who Anita has now for two generations, came to Anita for help.

They had four puppies .. the pup’s mother had just died [ think ?? it was an infection post delivery ] and they were worried about the puppies as the puppies still needed to be nursed

for a little while longer.

So this white lab lady now has four new puppies as family members to care for the

next few weeks . The pups benefit from their new Mom’s love and kisses

and they will relieve her engorgement ‘the natural way ‘ and not by medicine to ‘dry her up’. [ the infection is resolved ]

In a few weeks when the time is right, she will see the Vet. so she will not have any more puppies.

The intro of the pups and Mom went well and they are one family unit now.

The new parents of this lab lady love her and will provide her a good home .

Correction about the dog who was attacked by a pit-bull that Anita took in ..

it is a Schnauzer type, not a poodle type dog.. and the wound is getting smaller and healing.

Luke, just to let you and others know there is an alternative to taking a dog to Anita's. The new Lucky Dog Rescue & Adoption Center is now open. They are located just outside of Chapala on the road that goes toward the Vista Del Lago golf course. Anita does wonderful, amazing work but is usually overpopulated and crowded. The new shelter is smaller and all dogs are vet checked upon acceptance, given whatever medications or vet care required, given necessary shots and spayed or neutered before going for adoption. Anyone adopting would know they are getting a healthy animal.

I am soooooooo glad I checked the website tonight!!!! This makes me soooooooo happy! I am so glad Lady Lab and the puppies are together and all is well. I will absolutely sleep so much better.

Maggiesmom, thank you for posting about the Lucky Dog Shelter. It is the first place we tried but they were full and could not take this white lab. That is the problem .... they have the same problem that the other shelter had in that they can only handle so many and then have to turn the rest away. I am just so grateful for Anita and the help she gave us and what a fantastic ending ... at least for this wonderful dog. I wish it could be so for all the animals.

Archived