Chapala.com Webboard

Costs for getting permanent residence

sue

Runs $6,500 to $7,500 pesos depending if translations are needed. They require more trips to immigration, more waiting, 2 payments at different times so about 5 trips to immigration and that is if all goes well. Sure you can run the risk and make 3 to 4 trips to immigration and 2 to the bank and wait each time and come back if the printer breaks or they run out of paper. Its not like it will be an annual thing, once and then done.

Cars nobody knows yet, nothing official. as far as 1 well, you will have to wait 2 years more to go to permanente no income docs.

Cars nobody knows yet, nothing official. as far as 1 well, you will have to wait 2 years more to go to permanente no income docs.

You know much much more than I, Intercasa. And what I have learned so far is the same as you. But I went one step further and asked two Mexican Nationals who were driving older US plated cars (Out of date plates). I told them that I was updating my immigration papers and it looked like I wouldn't be allowed to drive a US plated car in Mexico anymore.( I'm driving a 13 year old very dented older Ford with outdated Texas plates) I would be lucky to get $1,500 US for it

Both drivers said, hey, all it takes is a little Mordida. And then I thought, even if they impounded this pile of junk it wouldn't matter.

Am I missing anything here? If all they can do is impound my car, they can keep it.

Thanks in advance, Spencer for any suggestions

Yes, just impound it. I have heard of people being arrested for no permit in the north of Mexico but nobody locally.

That's always been my plan. When our (outstanding, and beautiful and magnificent!) US-plated 1994 Honda Accord becomes illegal after a visa status change, I'll just continue driving it until I get pulled over and they want to impound it. The conversations with Transito will be interesting since I'll have virtually nothing to lose. If they absolutely insist on taking the car, I'll gather my things out of the glovebox and trunk and toss them the keys.

I may cry a little, though.

I have been told lately by 2 good resources lately that

1. if I have an FM3 (with a 1) it will automatically change to a Temp. resident card when I apply in October. I will not need income statements.

2.I have also been told after 4 years I must change to permanent when I will have to show 12 months of income statement for both my wife and myself separately.

3.I have also been told that my house valued at 140k will not help reduce the income.

I would like to know the rumers

1.who is grandfathered and, does this mean income? as we have been here for 16 years. I think this is the most important factor in renewals for retirees.

2.Also I have heard that new temporary visas will allow a capital tax out.

That being said I cannot believe anything until it becomes fact in a few weeks/months years

I must be thick!! I'm looking at my NO Inmigrante Visa and don't notice where people are seeing a "1,2,3 or 4". The front has my picture, NUE number, nationality, CURP, birthdate, etc. The back side has No. NI430849. Is the fact this number starts with "4" the majic number I'm looking for? Not female, not blonde, just an old American!

If replying, please type slowly so I can follow along, LOL.

I must be thick!! I'm looking at my NO Inmigrante Visa and don't notice where people are seeing a "1,2,3 or 4". The front has my picture, NUE number, nationality, CURP, birthdate, etc. The back side has No. NI430849. Is the fact this number starts with "4" the majic number I'm looking for? Not female, not blonde, just an old American!

If replying, please type slowly so I can follow along, LOL.

On the rear of your card you will see Prorroga and a number following.

We've been in Mexico since 2002 and used to "renew" our FM-3 booklets through the 5th year, then a new one. These new cards are not renewed, you get a new one each year. First got the card in 2011 then last year got a new one. Nowhere on our cards does it mention prorroga. There is a date of issue and a date of expiration, nada mas. Got our new ones in Vallarta last year but as that is still Jalisco I can't see what difference it would make. As I originally said, I must be thick in the head!

I have gone over my FM3 with a fine-toothed comb and nowhere does it say Prorroga and a number. If you say I am illegal, now what??

Just kidding about the illegal part. When does your visa expire?

There is nothing there. I will see someone about this on Monday.

As RVGringo says it should mean that it is the first year on that card-you havn't had any extensions yet.

If you are No Inmigrante, it will say Refrendo 1 after your first renewall.

If you are Inmigrante, it will say Prorroga 1 after your first renewal.

Before that, it will say nothing at all.

Archived