Chapala.com Webboard

Important insurance info if you have Qualitas

Intercasa

So I was called to assist at an accident scene this morning and had to negotiate with an impatient transito and a foreigner who had hit the car of some Mexicans. The foreigner had a car with South Dakota plates and an insurance policy that covered her foreign plated car although she did not have the policy with her.

I called her agent, got her policy information and the claims number, called the claims number and gave them her info, policy info and car info. An hour later the adjuster shows up and say he needs the original policy. we went round and round to not have the car towed as the adjustor would not guarantee coverage and was requiring the client ask the insurance company for another original policy even though he could easily check that the policy was paid and even though a few blocks from the accident scene was a Qualitas insurance office.

Moral of the story, keep the original of the insurance policy in your vehicle if your insurer is Qualitas and if you cannot fine the original then ask the company to issue you another original. They wouldn´t accept a scanned copy either! We were able to negotiate with all parties but had things been more serious somebody could have gone to jail and had their car towed all due to the ridiculous insistence on having an original policy in the car!

Thanks for the information. We have seen the ads for Qualitas and the price was low cost. We are very happy we have Ace Seguros obtained online thru www.LakeChapalaInsurance.com. Our understanding is Qualitas is not even a rated carrier. Great you were able to assist and not have the party go to jail or have a car towed.

The original policy should not be necessary, don´t know why Qualitas asked for it for an online print out carry the nice crisp laser printed copy.

We used QUALITAS through Lewis & Lewis for 5 years. Sadly I have to say we had to submit 2 major claims and both were handled quickly and professionally. i will admit they dragged their feet a tiny bit about the check is in the mail, but adjusters, lawyers etc were on the spot immediately. We now have a Mexico plated car but I would use Lewis & Lewis / Qualitas in a second!!

I dont think some of the Canadians and Americans here understand what happens in case of an accident; up north all you need is proof of insurance to show the cop and then an accident report from the police to send to the insurance company. In Mexico, you call the police and the insurance company who sends an adjuster to the scene of the accident and then all the adjusters and police get together and decide who is paying what.

In the nearly 6 years I have been here I have had 2 claims with Qualitas of about $35,000 US total. Yes, the adjuster wants to see the original policy (which I had in the car both times). Both times the adjusters told me that they make decisions on the spot based on the policy you have with you; no policy, no decision - that can be a big problem.

I do have a Mexican plated car now but I would highly recommend Lewis & Lewis with Qualitas for foreign plated vehicles.

Qualitas also has the best price for Mx plated, up to half of what some others were quoting.

I bought a Qualitas policy on my new Mx plated car and had the girl give me 3 original copies, one for each home and one for the car, think this will cover me no matter where I am, hopefully!

I bought a Qualitas policy on my new Mx plated car and had the girl give me 3 original copies, one for each home and one for the car, think this will cover me no matter where I am, hopefully!

Intercasa, why did you pick Qualitas?

US and Canada liability inurance for $1,200,000 pesos, price was good and they offer a free auto part etching service if your car is worth over 80,000 pesos and if you do it, reduces chance of theft of parts and they will lower your theft deductible. Their rates were less than other, got quotes ranging from 7,700 pesos (Qualitas) to $14,000 pesos a year for full coverage. Vehicle value $200,000 pesos.

Archived