Chapala.com Webboard

Jalisco Condo Manual & Jalisco Condo Law in English

Aliap

Supposedly they sell them here. Please DO NOT buy the book and use it to replace competent legal representation for your condo. I have met people who have done so, paid $500,000US for condos and use the book and the book does not necessarily apply in all cases as the date the condo was formed governs which version of the civil code applies. Trying to save $$$ will hurt you in the end as fees may be uncollectable from late payers.

Thanks for the input. I am using the books to assess draft by-laws that are before me. The draft by-laws appear to have some clauses that are illegal. I will bring up questions regarding these clauses at the upcoming meeting. I do not take the books as a legal opinion.

Just to wrap up for the benefit of others who may want to know. According to the website for the books Super Lake and the bookstore at Plaza Bougambilias have the books. I did not find them at Super Lake. I did manage to get a copy of each at the Bougambilias bookstore. The Manual was $500 MXN and the translation was $400.

• 2 months later...

This book now has a blog at http://www.jaliscocondos.org/blog/. There are some interesting topics and there seem to be new posts added on a regular basis. You can subscribe to the blog and get an email whenever there's a new post added and you can decide whether you want to comment on it or not.

In response to another comment the author does not give legal advice, exactly the opposite. He takes great care to point out at the front of the book, on the web site, and on his blog that this is not legal advice and that if something is important to you or your condo you should get an opinion from a legal professional.

• 2 years later...

He just came out with a second edition of this book that has a ton more stuff that relates to running condos.

I got a copy and its even better than the first book!!

I highly recommend this for those who want to know what the condo law says plus a bunch of other laws that affect condos down here. It also has a translation of the parts of the new tax laws that apply to condos.

I bought a copy of this book and found it very useful! I don't have the first one so I don't know what the difference is. This has the full condo law and many more laws I didn't even know about. They all apply to our condo and the translation seems to be of the highest quality. I know we all have different takes on things but I can't imagine what Gracie found wrong with this book. For me it was worth every peso.

I agree. I think this updated book is a valuable investment for our condo and I did have the first book. This one has even more translations of laws in it. Too bad Gracie didn't tell us what her problems with the book were. I guess we all have different opinions on things.

Archived