Chapala.com Webboard

30 pesos for a beer?

twelveoaks

My husband and I just finished lunch at Rincon de Giovanni and would like to share the experience. We have eaten only dinner there and stopped by today and found the lunch specials posted outside to be interesting. We thought we'd found a great place for lunch which included "2 for 1" beer. The waiter had to walk outside with my husband to understand what lunch specials we were asking for and to show him that, yes in fact, the beer is 2 for 1. The Pacifico bottles that were brought to us were tepid at best and when we finally found someone to explain the situation, only one beer was replaced with a cold one. We couldn't figure out why warm beers were even brought to the table when, obviously, there were cold ones available. Lunch was OK, don't know that we'll go back, but then we got the bill for 60 pesos for two Pacificos. After the bill was straightened out for the "2 for 1" special, we realized that a restaurant can advertise "Second Beer Free" all day long when they are charging 30 pesos for a single bottle of beer.

Sorry to hear about your disappointment at Giovanni's. However, 2 clarifications: Did you and your husband expect to split the "2 for 1" offer and each order one beer, or did you both have 2 beers and not receive the promotion? "2-fer" offers are usually made per patron and in our hamlet's very tight restaurant market profitability, splitting a two-for offer isn't customary. Also, I'm not a beer drinker, but my dad (not a US citizen) is and he drinks beer warmish-cool, not frozen cold. I went to ratebeer.com and they indicate that darker beers (Pacífico, as an example) should be served at warmer temperatures, and that Americans as a rule seem to like their beer very, very cold...which reflects neither a worldwide custom nor optimal temperature for serving beer. Giovanni usually aims to please, and has always gone over and above to prepare and serve to patrons' liking...

Regardless, 30 pesos for a single beer in this town is out-of-the-ordinary at most places.

Less all the time. Unfortunately, the restaurants here seem to be increasingly imitating the NOB practice of holding down food prices but charging way too much for a drink or glass of wine.

Archived