Chapala.com Webboard

best water in lakeside? mineral content, alkalinity, etc.

bdmowers

Does anyone know of water available that is better than the normal garafon water here? I'm looking for water with higher beneficial mineral content and perhaps also high alkalinity.

This does not abswer your question, but may cause some thinking. I believe in using water that only comes from companies with good/responsible labs, and cleaning of garafons. , ie, Santorini(pepsi), Ciel(Coca Cola), etc. I have been in some of the local water plants & very dissapointed. "Food for thought"

Earlier in the year a guy named Elvis Stoyko (SP?) was demonstrating a product at the LCS that turned tap water in Alkaline water..

I remember sampling this water, it tasted good, however the price was steep, somewhere in the region of $4,000. U.S.

The LCS. might be able to put you in contact with him, if he's still living in the area.

In his talk at LCS recently, Dr. Todd Stong said local garafon water is a byproduct, waste water, of the beer business and so has no minerals. He said little else than that and didn't give specifics as to which water company, etc. I couldn't find any information on the internet about this. Does anyone have more/better info?

Earlier in the year a guy named Elvis Stoyko (SP?) was demonstrating a product at the LCS that turned tap water in Alkaline water..

I remember sampling this water, it tasted good, however the price was steep, somewhere in the region of $4,000. U.S.

The LCS. might be able to put you in contact with him, if he's still living in the area.

FOUR THOUSAND dollars US? What quantity are we talking about?

In his talk at LCS recently, Dr. Todd Stong said local garafon water is a byproduct, waste water, of the beer business and so has no minerals. He said little else than that and didn't give specifics as to which water company, etc. I couldn't find any information on the internet about this. Does anyone have more/better info?

Are you sure that is what Stong said? It is nonsense.

Most good wells at lakeside produce water with very nice taste and high mineral content (especially calcium).

A UV light and simple particle filter(s) are all that is recommended for a safe & inexpensive (& much more convenient) source of drinking water.

Are you sure that is what Stong said? It is nonsense.

It is what I heard but I did not confirm it with him. Which rather begs the question of local water provenance. Does anyone know where Santorini, Bonafont, et al gets their water?

Filter lower Ajijic water with carbon and normal filter with a UV light. Believe me tons of minerals in the water.

I added the carbon (we would say charcoal) filter last month and that really helped the taste as from time to

time the chlorine lakeside reacts with the water creating a sulpher kind of smell.

It is what I heard but I did not confirm it with him. Which rather begs the question of local water provenance. Does anyone know where Santorini, Bonafont, et al gets their water?

All I can suggest is go to their plant or distribution centre and ask them if you want to be certain.

Re: Dr. Stong's remark:

The byproduct of beer, the wastewater, may be confirmed by a test that you can do at home.

Simply drink copious quantities of beer. In a short time, you will produce the 'wastewater', which you may take to a lab for testing; or, if you wish, simply give it the 'taste test'.

Some missed his point. :)

Todd stong is the most reliable for information on lake chapala water.

everything he has said i found true and accurate.

he donates his time helping the community. sometimes in the past 30 hours a week or more.

if anyone can match those volunteer hours and commitment, then maybe i would believe your comments.

Au contraire, Travis: Dr. Stong is the only person doing reliable, ongoing testing of Lake water. He is also the most knowledgable person about water issues in general in Jalisco, probably in Mexico. He has worked on these issues for decades. Passionately concerned about the Lake and its people, he is working on water treatment issues stemming from the new irresponsible housing developments between San Juan and Joco, better and cheaper water for the poorer villages east of Chapala, the diminishing fish population of the Lake (affecting thousands of Lake fisherman), and many other issues.

Au contraire, Travis: Dr. Stong is the only person doing reliable, ongoing testing of Lake water. He is also the most knowledgable person about water issues in general in Jalisco, probably in Mexico. He has worked on these issues for decades. Passionately concerned about the Lake and its people, he is working on water treatment issues stemming from the new irresponsible housing developments between San Juan and Joco, better and cheaper water for the poorer villages east of Chapala, the diminishing fish population of the Lake (affecting thousands of Lake fisherman), and many other issues.

Lets not get carried away here. "the only person" "the most knowledgeable...in Jalisco". How do you know that? Do you know of all the people that are working on such. Remember Dr. Stong isn't a limnologist or even a biologist but is an engineer it seems to me. You are right though in that he does do a lot of work on issues related to the Lake.

• 7 months later...

I am trying to find water that is high in minerals, with little or no chlorine, and mainly was NOT treated by reverse osmosis. Am using this water for water kefir. I can add minerals and treat to remove chlorine, but reverse osmosis water will kill the culture. So far, it appears that Ciel, Santorini and Bonafont are all produced with reverse osmosis. Does anyone know of any local company (probably a small one) that does NOT use reverse osmosis?

Normally the process for "purified water" in Mexico is:

Well - Chlorinated - Sand Filter - Carbon Filter - Polish Filter (0.5 micra) - UV Light - Ozone - Filler

Big Companies Ciel (Coca Cola) - Santorini (pepsi) - Bonafont (Danone) to be sure use:

Well - Chlorinated - Sand Filter - Carbon Filter - Polish Filter (0.5 micra) - RO (reverse Osmosis) - UV Light - Ozone - Filler

In this way they are sure none micro is residual in water, but in Ro also the eliminate a lot off salts (including alkalines); the brewerie dos this systema also for preparing water for process, and then put the minerals in amount that they needed; but none brewery sell bottle water for process (Modelo use to gift this remanent water to their neighbors). You can use bottle water and add some sodium carbonate or bicarbonate if you want to drink more alkaline water, like some another process use to do it in USA for example.

Archived