Chapala.com Webboard

Kids trapped in Mexico?

Intercasa

So I was perusing the immigration web site today looking for some pearls of wisdom to help decipher the new immigration law and a popup window came up advising about new regulations for minors traveling and leaving Mexico.

Mexico, per the glorious new immigration law, a notarized letter from a parent or guardian is now required if the child is traveling alone and if the notarized letter is from outside Mexico then an apostille is needed and Canadians need a legalization as well as a translation.

So you need to show alot of money to stay in Mexico but wait if you are a minor then you cannot leave unless your papers are in order. Please be aware of these new rules so your child or grandchildren or any other visitors can leave without problems

http://www.inm.gob.mx/index.php/page/Aviso_Importante

A partir del 9 de noviembre de 2012, conforme a la Ley de Migración, para que un menor de edad (mexicano o extranjero) pueda salir de México deberá:

Ir acompañado de alguna de las personas que ejerzan sobre él la patria potestad o la tutela;

En caso de que el menor viaje solo o con una persona que no ejerza la tutela o patria potestad sobre él, deberá presentar:

• Pasaporte y un documento otorgado ante fedatario público o por la autoridad facultada para ello, en el que conste la autorización para que el o la menor salga del país por parte de quienes ejerzan sobre él la patria potestad o la tutela.
  • Si el documento ha sido otorgado en el extranjero, deberá ser legalizado o apostillado, según sea el caso, con su traducción cuando se trate de idioma distinto al español.

Now the notarized letters need to be apostilled, if from U.S., or be legalized if Canadian. This wasn't required before.

Exactly! A new step that is a pain and an extra cost and people need to know about to not have problems.

?? For the Canadian "legalized" - what does that mean? Isn't a notarized letter the same thing? I don't think there are any apostles left in Canada, we sent them all to the US.

?? For the Canadian "legalized" - what does that mean? Isn't a notarized letter the same thing? I don't think there are any apostles left in Canada, we sent them all to the US.

Not to worry it is the same thing and has been a requirement for many years. Canada is not part of the agreement that uses apostilles.

Canada is worse! Apostilles are easy. In Canada you need a legalization of the document done at the Mexican consulate or office of legalizations

http://international.gc.ca/about-a_propos/authentication-authentification_documents.aspx?view=d

Processing times are over a month!

This should be interesting. I had never even heard of the word "apostille" until I moved to Mexico. Wonder how strict immigration will be at the airport with this. Having been a ticket agent for American Airlines for many years we were always very careful that all minors had the correct paperwork. Minor children traveling with only one parent needs a notarized document from the non-traveling parent giving permission to take the minor child to Mexico. Mexico was the only country that this was required.

Yes and Mexico has tightened up the past few years from my experience whereas prior they would never check for a letter from parents and even if they did they would accept one in English. Then about a year or two ago they started making parents pass to the customs area to press the button as they said minors under 18 were not allowed to.

• 2 months later...

La Secretaria de Turismo y el Instituto Nacional de Migración (INM) extendieron hasta el 24 de enero de 2014 el plazo de la medida que facilita la entrada y salida del país a niños y adolescentes que viajen solos o con un tercero mayor de edad, sin una carta notarial.

Application of this new rule has postponed for a year, news was released yesterday.

there must be a $$ reason for this. maybe the consulates like to collect fees? i understand during a custody battle, one parent can take the child. if that parent lives in mexico, then its a kidnap. maybe the govts both decided this. who knows?

I doubt you need anything other than the passport for tourists travelling with thie children, however I can see why a paper would be necessary from a parent if both parents were not present or why an official authorization would be required if the child was travelling without his parents.

We took a Mexican teenager with us out of the country last year and we had to have a notorized authorization from both parents, nothing very strange about that. There is a lot of child trafficking throughout the world and Mexico is smart to demand these papers. Actuallt we had to have a notorized authorization in France as well as health ins for him when we arrived.

I originally posted trapped as they made the new rule to apply right away so some could have entered without the notarized letter and then would not be able to leave. Now people are on alert and have a year before anything would happen.

Archived