Chapala.com Webboard

Immigration Changes & procedures - updated November 18 2012

Betsy

I've just heard something that may make the new rules more 'fair', if true:

A source reports that INM is now considering time on FM3 + time on FM2/Inmigrante, if unbroken, current and without fines, for applications for 'Residente Permanente'; without new income proofs.

Perhaps Spencer will be the first to know if the Chapala INM office is aware of this; as some other offices seem to be. If so, it would sure be good news.

This is what I've heard last week when applied for my visa with Mago. They asked me if I missed any deadline on the 8 years of residence in Mexico. If I don't, we don't have to file income statements. I am passing this information , hope it is true.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone have any information how the new rules affect capital gains on a home sale. I know you should have 5 years in it , especially if you sold and this is your second home. We were told that FM2 and 5 yrs occupancy were enough but that isn't true.

update....3 notarios say we can sell w/o capital gains until May using current FM2 (now tempoary resident).

Gotta tell u, I'm confused, the first part of your post tells me all we need to live here is sufficient funds for houseing and food, then the later part says to qualify, we can not combine our income to account for the two of us. We need separate additional income.

We now have the new tarjeta card we received upon renewal after 5 years and renewed them again last April. I was under the impression we no longer needed to produce bank statements for at least another 3 or 4 years. What do I really have to do?

Does anyone have any information how the new rules affect capital gains on a home sale. I know you should have 5 years in it , especially if you sold and this is your second home. We were told that FM2 and 5 yrs occupancy were enough but that isn't true.

You will find my answer to your question in the post that I have started on "Immigration law". The subject has changed to taxation . . . but it's okay. Now that the dust has settled down on immigration fears, taxation will be the next worry.

• 2 weeks later...

Folks, I am depending on those with some expertise to tell me that what I was told by my contact in the DC Consulate sounds correct. After all the discussion on this and a separate Board, I just hope that she is correct. So here goes:

I got a call back from the Mexican Consulate in DC in response to my question as to what I would need to bring there to get my visa. Here is what I was told: [as a retiree]

FOR ME:

1. Valid Passport with a copy of the information page

2. One passport size photo, front view, no glasses, white background

3. EITHER:

a. Proof of a pension (including Social Security) of a monthly income of $2,500. This must include a letter from the SSA confirming the amount for the last six months.

OR

b. Proof of investments for the last 12 months totaling $120,000. (I suppose this can be in the form of investment statements.)

FOR MY WIFE:

1. Valid Passport with a copy of the information page

2. One passport size photo, front view, no glasses, white background.

3. Proof of marriage to me - Marriage certificate

3. EITHER

a. Proof of a pension in the amount of $550/month for the last six months

OR

b. Proof of investments of $1,600 for the last six months.

She would become a Residencia Temporal attached to me (huh?)

The money needed was $36.00 each

I was then told that I would have to register in front of Mexican authorities once I got to Mexico and was given three phone numbers to call for more information:

USA 1-877-210-9469 - (this got to what sounded like a Mexican ring tone, that changed to a bz signal)

USA 1-877-210-0469 (this was Airphone connected to people currently flying)

In DF: 011-52-555-487-2400 - option 2 (in English) [i got someone who didn't know English, there was no Option 2 to be chosen, or why I was calling and hung up]

I asked what we would walk out of the Consulate with and was told, well, I really didn't get an answer because I was overwhelmed by the previous information and I believe that it was difficult for her to explain. I thought that I would leave the Consulate with Residencia Temporal for both of us, that there would be not need to do any more paperwork, or pay any additional fees, once I got to Mexico.

I asked if she had this written out somewhere and could she send it to me, even if it was in Spanish. She replied that there wasn't anything like that, that she was reading from the law itself and that there were so many variations of qualifications for a visa there was no way to "summarize" it (?)

On another front, I asked about the kitties and she said what was needed was there vaccination certificates and proof of good health from our vet dated no more than a month from when we entered the country. Again, this conflicts with what I have read some many posts that such a verification of good health could be no more than 5 days old.

I suppose I will go to the Consulate with the information and documents she outlined and see what I get, but I am nervous about all of this. If there is anyone who knows for a fact that I have been given the correct information, please contact me. Why is it I feel like I was told about the old law - you know do paperwork in the USA, then do it again in Mexico, and not the new law, do it once in the USA?

Where to start, FH. Most people would advise coming down on a tourist visa, then do the other visa thing here. It is fluid but $2500 per person of income is needed or over $95,000 in an investment account, per person. Six months of the income statements, pref 12 months. 12 months of investment statements. If you don't have the income or the investments, just stay here the 180days on the tourist visa and go back and reenter on a new tourist visa.

As for pets, they have to have been examined within 3 days of crossing the border. The international health cert must specify that the pet is free of internal and external parasites.

Bring marriage certs and justq to be safe, original birth certs.

It changed, Tom. If you are a first time applicant who is trying to qualify for either Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente, you need to begin the process from outside Mexico.

You used to be able to come in on a tourist visa and petition to change your status from within Mexico, but evidently, you can't do that any more.

FHBOY, I'm not qualified to answer the rest of your questions.

FH, now more than ever the answer to questions--ANY questions--about Mexico is, "It depends." I've been here a long long time, have read a zillion posts on many message boards similar to this one, and one thing is sorta kinda for sure (note that qualifier): employees at Mexico's consulates rarely if ever know the real scoop about how things work. I'd keep my fingers crossed if I were you, and keep asking questions. A grain of salt or two will help as well.

Tom's time limit for pets is wrong; that is for cattle, etc. Domestic pets do have to have recent shot records and a vet's statement that they are free of internal and external parasites & in good health. That part is correct. I believe that 'recent' may be ten days to a month, but you can check that online, I think.

Yes, you must get your 'residente temporal' or 'residente permanente' in DC. I strongly recommend the latter, if you can qualify. Otherwise, after the 'temporal' matures, you might have to qualify for 'permanente' anyway. That is still vague.

You're going to have to get your DC lady to issue the document, somehow. Otherwise, you could have to return there in 180 days and try again. It has to be the embassy or consulate 'closest to your home'. Catch-22? There are several right now.

DC is less than an hour away and specified for Maryland, so that's OK. I now understand the difference between a Residencia Temporal visa which I will get there and the Residencia Temporal card which I have to get once I get to Mexico. RVG are you suggesting that I go for what used to be called an FM2 (now a ResPerm) rather than stay with the ResTemp (which is like an FM3?)?

In any case, it will be interesting and my first real taste of Mexican bureaucracy. Yes, I still have a sense of humor about it, but the concern is not having all my papers in order at the border looms large. Maybe I am concerned for no reason.

Sorry guys! Good to know about the more liberal time limit on pets. Means when we drive down next time we can get the exam's done at home rather than a vet near the border.

DC is less than an hour away and specified for Maryland, so that's OK. I now understand the difference between a Residencia Temporal visa which I will get there and the Residencia Temporal card which I have to get once I get to Mexico. RVG are you suggesting that I go for what used to be called an FM2 (now a ResPerm) rather than stay with the ResTemp (which is like an FM3?)?

In any case, it will be interesting and my first real taste of Mexican bureaucracy. Yes, I still have a sense of humor about it, but the concern is not having all my papers in order at the border looms large. Maybe I am concerned for no reason.

You still have it wrong. In DC you will be applying for your one and only Residente Temporal visa, no other visa or card. It is one item not 2. They will procees your application AS FAR AS to approving it or NOT approving it. Then they will attach a portion or extra form they use for this purpose of the SAME RESIDENTE TEMPORAL visa you have been approved for to your US passport and you show the Mexican cutoms and immigration this. Then when in your house the closest INM office will continue your approved Residente Temporal visa and give the card when it is ready.

If you can get 'permanente' from the start, and IF you can solve the car problem, you would be finished with INM forever. Otherwise, you'll stay 'temporal' for 4 renewals, then have to change to 'permanente'. It should be smooth and easy, according to the law, but the new rules and INM office confusion are making life rather unpredictable.

Archived