Chapala.com Webboard

Being eaten alive by mosquitoes in bed and outdoors

Arjay

I'm very sensitive to mosquito bites and they just adore me. The last couple of nights in bed they've been buzzing in my ear and biting me. I covered my ear but they still come biting.

Does anyone know about the product Viatek Mosquito Shield Bands, which get good reviews online. Any idea if they're available in Lakeside? The website is:

http://www.viatekproducts.com/viatek-mosquito-shield-bands-10-pack/

Or do you have any suggestions to repel these evil little buggers?

I've heard keeping a ceiling fan going helps. Don't really want to spray insect repellant on my face and pillow - probably bad for my health to breath it in.

Many thanks for any serious, helpful hints.

:013:

There are mosquito repellant bands available at the Tuesday Organic Market. Sorry, don't know the brand. I feel your pain....if you can find ammonia, it is the very best bite reliever. Suerte!

Thanks. Is the Tuesday market at Sol Y Luna? Do you know if ammonia is available in the pharmacies and, if so, under what name?

Soriana in Chapala used to carry the Ben's Max Agua Base 30% DEET formula. They haven't had it recently, though we asked them to reorder. That works, though it means putting DEET on your body. The Off Extra Duracion crema with aloe vera also works well against mosquitos, though not against noseeums. These are your best options for protection that will last over at least a few hours, other than, as mentioned, a mosquito net. Good luck.

The mosquitos have been horrible this year, probably the worst since we moved here in 2008. At least at our house anyway. I have no idea why. It's already mid-November and I keep waiting for the "cold" weather to make them go away, but no luck yet. Soon I hope.

Sorry, I have no answers other than the usual. Good luck.

My friend uses a standing floor fan and has it blowing directly on her. To relieve the itch try Andatol (sp?) It works very well. Pharmacies carry it.

Whenever I have a mosquito problem in the house I use the small devices that use tablets and plug into an electrical outlets. 100% effective. Walmart has them.

We have several drains around the yard and patio area that have standing water in them. Hubby started spraying Baygon in the drains every few days and it seems to have helped, although not eliminated the skeeters. I use a small fan on my bedside table aimed at my head and that seems to help at night.

all good advise above.

Go to walmart and buy the bug repeller that works like a scent machine. Also buy a timer in the electrical area. Set the timer for 10 p.m. to 7 a.m. and plug the bug machine into it . Forget your misquito issues!

The Tuesday market is located in the big La Huerta building, west of Ajijic, on the left. Big parking lot and other parking on the street:

often has someone directing traffic. Opens at 10 a.m. "You can't miss it"...well, it would be hard to.

There is a good DEET free mosquito repellent called "FlyOut" sold at Soriana. Works for me.

No chemicals, sprays or gadgets needed. Just put a few drops of chlorine in patio drains, if you have them. Keep your screen doors and windows closed. That should keep most of them out. In case of an 'accidental invasion', you might resort to a shot of Raid, but not often and certainly not much.

The big prevention, as mentioned, is making sure the mosquitoes don't have a place to breed anywhere near your home. They don't fly far, so survey the area for standing water and empty it, where you can. Where you can't, a couple of drops of oil will suffocate the larvae.

All things vary, last year was horrendous, I suspect construction next door because this year the front door was propped open for the cat from 7am to 7pm, not a single bite, essentially none in my yard this year. Last year I tried the plugin with tablets, 3' from my headboard, useless, replants, spray the bedroom before going to bed? - fan may have helped some, a fan driven mosquito trap did some good, outside zappers and still I was eaten alive. Has this been a wonderful and blessed year at mi casa? - BETTER BELIEVE IT.

Mosquitoes need 48 hours to hatch and fly, they tend to stay within a 300' range.

I use Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil. Only found in USA. Look for it at Walgreens, Walmart and others. All natural. Work for me. Ask someone going to the U.S.A. to get it for you. Also I bought an Electric Zapper ( white with 2 IVU long bulbs) in Home Depot, Guad. I works great but I keep my bedroom door close all day in case one sneak in. I leave it on all night. Also a great night light.

Mosquitoes have a love affair with me. If there is one, it goes for me. I am highly allergic to them and the bitten spot itches for weeks.

Whenever I have a mosquito problem in the house I use the small devices that use tablets and plug into an electrical outlets. 100% effective. Walmart has them.

Those have worked well for us,the fan works well too.

We bought Raid insect repellant which is a liquid in a small container that plugs into your electric outlet. I plug one in beside the bed about 45 minutes before going to bed ... then remove it for the rest of the night. I have not had any problems since doing this ... they like me too and I was so glad to find this product. It has refills and you can find them at Soriana's and Walmart ... or at least that is where we bought them. During the day time or when we are up watching TV we use the electric zapper that we bought at a stop light in Guadalajara :)

Thank you for all your suggestions. I just heard that rubbing the inside of a banana peel on the bite alleviates the itch. Am about to try that now.

I'm from Canada so may not be able to find Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil. Sigh.

I have a lump on my cheek, neck and ear - but it's that ghastly whine in the ear at night that I dread. Then I have to cover my ear and pop another sleeping pill. AAARRRGGG !!!

Please post back and let us know how that banana peel works for you. In the Philippines people say that mosquitos will be attracked to you if you eat bananas.

Years ago the government spraying teams would pass through the neighborhoods spraying at night. I guess that is a thing of the past now, but you had better buy the nets and use them.

For what it is worth, the worse mosquito attack we ever suffered was in Golden, BC. They chased us back into the car.

Please post back and let us know how that banana peel works for you. In the Philippines people say that mosquitos will be attracked to you if you eat bananas.

I only tried the banana peel after the bites were half healed and I must admit they did stop itching but I don't know if they were about to stop anyway, since I'd been scratching and rubbing them for about 5 days. I eat 1 banana at lunchtime - hopefully this isn't attracting them to me.

I've been putting OFF insect repellant cream on my ears and neck the last couple of nights and have had no problem - but of course there may not have been any mosquitoes in the bedroom on those nights, there's no way of telling. I also heard they don't like fabric softener sheets - so I keep one on my bedside table - again, who knows ??

I too have had a terrible time with mosquito bites in Mexico. I could wake up with 15 bites on one leg, while my spouse had nothing. We always had the fan on us. I tried lotions and sprays. After research, I decided to try vitamin B complex also. Wow, finally something works. I have had an occassional bite - but nothing like before the vitamin. I took one pill in the morning and another at night for the first bottle (rainy season). Now I only take one at night.

I too have had a terrible time with mosquito bites in Mexico. I could wake up with 15 bites on one leg, while my spouse had nothing. We always had the fan on us. I tried lotions and sprays. After research, I decided to try vitamin B complex also. Wow, finally something works. I have had an occassional bite - but nothing like before the vitamin. I took one pill in the morning and another at night for the first bottle (rainy season). Now I only take one at night.

Interesting, I do take a B-100 Complex vitamin every morning. Before that I took 1,200 mg of B12 but I understand B Complex is healthier. But as for helping with mosquito bites, I don't know if it's helping me. If I can keep them out of the bedroom it sure helps.

We sat on a friend's mirador at dusk about a month ago and finally had to protest and go inside since the mosquitoes seemed to be eating more than I was !!

Archived