Chapala.com Webboard

La Masia restaurant

cedros

It is west of Ajijic on the south side of the carretera a block or so west of the Pemex station. Right next door to Que Taco restaurant.

Extracted from an e-mail just received from very "food knowledgeable" friends. They wouldn't dream of recommending any place unless they were 100% convinced that the information was worth passing on.

Hi Everyone: There is a new and FANTASTIC restaurant in Ajijic FINALLY !!!!! La Masia is the name. It's on the Carretera west of the Pemex station. It is brightly Painted and on the lakeside. It is next door to Que Taco. They have their OWN parking lot on the mountain side of the Carretera and about 25 yards west. It has a big sign on the parking lot gate. Also there's a big sign on the building. PLEASE look for it.

The menu has Tapas on one side and entree's on the other- plus one of our group said the wine and wine list was fantastic. The owner's name is "Ernesto"... his Chili placed in the top 3 last year and his other food is amazing. On Sunday he does Paella.

Like I said, it's ABOUT TIME !!!!! There are also some veggie items for the non-carnivorous! I'm pretty sure he is closed on Mon, Tues and Weds, but opens at 1:00 pm and stays open late!!!

Ernesto is an original to say the least-plus he has amazing art (contemporary Mexican) for sale all over the restaurant. It's worth looking for and going to. We hardly ever recommend places to eat... but this place is AMAZING!!! I hope you'll try it and the place is NOT expensive... worth every peso!!

My only complaint is that he needs to put some cushions on the chairs. You will want to sit a quite a while. Now I've said it, I hope it will not disappoint!!!

We were with a group of 6 and everyone raved about it.

I was also a recipient of the e-mail that is referred to by CRJD and I noticed that he "edited out" the name of one of the six guests (which is a courteous move.) However, it's important to note that the e-mail extraction contained only praise for this restaurant. It's obvious that the review did not make any reference to "expensive". When I received the same e-mail I had the opportunity to follow up personally with the author. He strongly emphasized that appropriate words to describe the offerings at this restaurant would be "inexpensive, quality and wonderful". It's definitely a "must try for ourselves" in the immediate future!

"They have their OWN parking lot on the mountain side of the Carretera and about 25 yards west. It has a big sign on the parking lot gate. Also there's a big sign on the building. "

Does this mean we have to cross the carretera after parking to walk to the restaurant? It's not the walking but the loonie drivers who concern me.

We tried it yesterday and thought the tapas selection was excellent. We went back again today (Sunday) for the paella and it too was absolutely top-notch. The building and the art on the walls are wonderful and we will definitely go back again and again. As I understand it, Ernesto has owned restaurants in Morocco and Puerto Rico so he knows his food.

That part of the carretera has many topes so the traffic there is not too dangerous.

Archived