Chapala.com Webboard

Bacalao Seco

Betsy

Guest RevImmigrant

I saw it at Costco and Sam's the last time I was there. I've never tried it. Does it have the small bones removed as well as the larger ones? How does it taste? How does it compare to the fresh or frozen cod you get in Germany and the US? I love cod fish and miss getting it here.

Yes, Bacalao was at Costco and SAMs when we went a couple weeks ago. There are so many variations of preparing bacalao and I fix it often, Brazilian style. You have to soak it for a couple days before preparing your dish and yes it does have bones, some small, but mostly large has been our experience.

You have to handle it a lot anyway when you are rinsing the salt out and I have never found much in the way of bones. I make Bacalao (estofado) and i use dried cod because it holds up better in the stew. I t is really delicious, I use my suegras family recipe, Christmas wouldn't be christmas without a pot of Bacalao.

I usually soak it overnight, rinse it a couple of times and it's good to go. Makes a big pot of stew. Beignets sound awesome!

I haven't had fresh cod in so long I don't think I could comment on how it compares.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw it at Costco and Sam's the last time I was there. I've never tried it. Does it have the small bones removed as well as the larger ones? How does it taste? How does it compare to the fresh or frozen cod you get in Germany and the US? I love cod fish and miss getting it here.

I bought it at Soriana the other day, good price too.

I bought it at Soriana the other day, good price too.

Boy, was it ever chEEp! How much was the Bacalao that you bought at Soriana and which one did you buy? As far as I can tell from my reciept , it was $18.00 for the bag of trocitos (sin hueso) , looks like it is almost a kilo. There were 3 different types , all Norweigian and none had the prices on the packages. I glanced at the prices on the shelf and determined the cost was somewhere between $175.00 and $245.00 which is about what I usually would pay so I was suprised at the register. My reciept is not very clear but I only bought 8 items and the most expensive was $45.00 (hair product). So, dang I think I'll go get me some more of that.

Bacalao is salt cod and the dish I make is a stew...my family just calls it Bacalao. There are many different versions of this stew but this is how my Mother-in-law taught me to make it. I have never measured anything while making this so amounts and times are a complete estimate, It makes a lot, freezes well except for the potatos; I have used fresh tomatos before but it didn't make any difference. Canned ones taste the same unless you can get really good fresh ones. I would by "lomo" or filetes which cost more because deboning the Bacalao is such a pain.

1 kilo Bacalao seco (salt cod) Desalted - Rinsed soaked in the fridge overnight - change water several times, discard any skin and check for bones

2 kilos Pureed tomatos (tomate molido)

2 heads of garlic, chopped

1 large onion, chopped

10 Small Potatos, whole, peeled

2 handfuls chopped cilantro, divided

8 small onions, whole cooked

1 cup whole almonds, blanched and skinned

1 can green Olives, drained

1/4 cup Alcaparras, drained ....I can not remember what they are called in english

Sautee chopped onion and garlic in 1/4 cup of very good Spanish olive oil . Add tomatos , some water (1 cup?) and some chopped cilantro , simmer it a while (30 mins?). Add the potatos and some more water and cook the potatos half way done (20 mins or so) . Add the fish and cook for 30 minutes more. Or an hour more, it will not make much difference. I cook the fish until it completely falls apart and most of the water cooks out, but you don't have to cook it that long. Let it cool a little , add the almonds, olives, alcaparras, whole cooked onions and another handful of cilantro. Don't add any salt before this point, I never need it at alll. Stir it up and let it sit a while before eating.

I make my stew very thick, a spoon will stand up in it without falling over. We like to make sandwiches with it on french rolls and serve a small salad as well. Some people like to serve it over rice or just with bread. It's a great party dish and it makes the house smell wonderful!

Archived