Chapala.com Webboard

Pizza flour-where to buy

MyHomeSweetHome

What she said is on the first page of this thread, post 18.

My former neighbor gave me four rolls of parchment paper that she had brought from the States. She was moving and didn't want the hassle of packing it. Lucky me! I think that I have not seen it for sale in Mexico.

IMHO, the secret to my pie crust (or biscuits) is real--i.e., non-hydrogenated--freshly rendered lard. I get mine from a butcher at the tianguis in my neighborhood. I take a little plastic container and he fills it up for me, for about 7 pesos.

A good barbeque that can develop an enclosed heat in excess of 500 degrees allows for creation of a great finished pizza. Weber kettle barbeques now have a special insert available in the U.S. specifically designed for pizza baking.

Most residential ovens develp insufficient heat for pizza and as a result the length of time necessary to actually cook the pizza does not result in a desirable finish. The moisture in the toppings does in an oven that is not hot enough works against the development of a good crust. The result most often to too soggy particularly in the centre. The use of Mexican cheese on pizzas does not provide the best result in either texture or taste as there's a high moisture content. Stick with U.S. made mozzarella if you want the better result.

Commercial pizza ovens develop heat above 600F and it's even more common today with new high-tech ovens to see temperature ranges in excess of 1000F and the complete baking of a pizza in 90 seconds. See following.

http://www.thekitchn.com/want-awesome-pi-163038

Parchment paper is always available at Superlake and often at El Torito.

Excellent news for all-a-y'all who live at Lake Chapala! Not such hot news for me, in Mexico City.

A good barbeque that can develop an enclosed heat in excess of 500 degrees allows for creation of a great finished pizza. Weber kettle barbeques now have a special insert available in the U.S. specifically designed for pizza baking.

Most residential ovens develp insufficient heat for pizza and as a result the length of time necessary to actually cook the pizza does not result in a desirable finish. The moisture in the toppings does in an oven that is not hot enough works against the development of a good crust. The result most often to too soggy particularly in the centre. The use of Mexican cheese on pizzas does not provide the best result in either texture or taste as there's a high moisture content. Stick with U.S. made mozzarella if you want the better result.

Commercial pizza ovens develop heat above 600F and it's even more common today with new high-tech ovens to see temperature ranges in excess of 1000F and the complete baking of a pizza in 90 seconds. See following.

http://www.thekitchn...esome-pi-163038

There's also a chemical reaction in mozzerrella cheese at high temps that provides that unique pizza-cheese flavour, and that's really hard to come by in a regular oven without burning the cheese under the broiler. It burns on top but the cheese under just melts.

• 4 weeks later...

I am switching, though, to a big round clay comal (with ditto parchment paper and corn meal).

Where are you going to buy or find your round clay comal? I've been in search of a pizza stone and have not been successful. piedra refractaria para hornear Anyone know where to buy one in Guadalajara??? I've been to all the high end department stores, Belle Cuisine, and the Escuela Cuisine International on Av Union 322, which sells the Webber pizza stone for only $1300 pesos. hah!

Where are you going to buy or find your round clay comal? I've been in search of a pizza stone and have not been successful. piedra refractaria para hornear Anyone know where to buy one in Guadalajara??? I've been to all the high end department stores, Belle Cuisine, and the Escuela Cuisine International on Av Union 322, which sells the Webber pizza stone for only $1300 pesos. hah!

I just saw this post, sorry for the late-ish answer. I bought my clay comal in Morelia, not much help to you. If you don't find one in the Chapala market, try the Mercado Libertad in GDL. On the ground floor booths nearest the Plaza Tapatío is your best bet, where the molcajete/metate vendors are.

Archived