Chapala.com Webboard

Suggestions for finishing new Saltillo tile

Xcalaker

I am putting down some new , raw Saltillo (barro) tile in my house.

Does anyone have a tried & true 'sealing' method?

I am looking for:

• A low luster. Nothing real glossy or shiny.
  • Something that will richen/deepen the color of the barro.
  • Something that won't peel or blister.
  • Something that lasts. Don't want to have to re-seal every year or 2.
  • Prefer some product available in Mexico.

Would also like to hear of any 'disaster' stories as well.

Thanks for your help.

First you have to make sure they are totally dried or you get a white film l. There are varnishes that comes in mate, semi-mate and brillante-

Put two coat of the mate and do not paint the grout. Jarra sells the varnish. You have to mix it with a catalysador and a thinner if you wish. Beware prepare small amount at a time as the prepared mixture dries up very quickly and it is not cheap.

You eventually have to redo it but it lasts quite a long tome if it is not exposed to the elements.

Pretty hard not to pain the grout. I would seal the grout first and then paint everything or paint it all from the start. Poly Form has a few cement and tile sealers along with a few other brands

Thanks for all of your replies.

I don't know where the whole subject of 'painting' the grout or tile came from, but painted grout?? YUK!

Also, any 'varnish' (film forming) type of finish has the propensity to peel and/or blister. No thanks.

The HomeGuides link was written by some who must be shilling for the LTP Grimex product. And a properly cleaned

saltillo (barro) tile will take a LOT longer to dry than 24 hours.

I tried the boiled linseed oil on a test tile..sucked it up like a sponge and the next day you could not tell anything at all had been put

on the tile. Also, did not 'water bead'. I'll pass on her recommendation.

Eureka! I think I have found the solution. It is a product Called H&C Sellador 23 ( for concrete). It is made in the US

by Sherwin Williams and is available at HomeDepot Mexico. It is an oil based Acrylic Silicone. I swiped some on a test tile.

It only needed a slight back brushing. Put another coat on in about 4 hours. It was easier and faster to apply than the first coat.

Smell is not bad either. It was totally dry the next day. It imparts just the right amount of luster I was looking for and seems to penetrate well. Water beads up great. Only time will tell how long it will last but think subsequent touch ups should be fairly easy. Mi dos centavos.

Good luck I had sellador applied on a terrasse 10 years ago, the varnish in the house is about 20 years old but not exposed to the element. I just redid everything , first we had to remove the sellador and the varnish, it took twice as much work to remove the sellador than the varnish . The sellador also peeled where exposed to sun and ain on the terrasse o I do not see the advantage.

Good luck I had sellador applied on a terrasse 10 years ago, the varnish in the house is about 20 years old but not exposed to the element. I just redid everything , first we had to remove the sellador and the varnish, it took twice as much work to remove the sellador than the varnish . The sellador also peeled where exposed to sun and ain on the terrasse o I do not see the advantage.

I guess I'll get back to you in 10 years with a full report.

Archived