Chapala.com Webboard

New Immigration Laws

Ajijic

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well if one called the hotline they get the answers.

Time on FM-3 not counted towards Permanent Resident.

To renew from a FM-2 to Temporary Resident no proof of income.

I have 2 years on a FM-2. I can renew for 2 more at same time and pay 4690 pesos. I need passport, photos, application and of course copies.

It does not matter where you live this is a federal law.

We all appreciate Spencer's input (which we have privately shared often and as noted sent him clients for SMA) but on such an important topic which may determine if some have to leave Mexico he should not be the sole source and a lawyer's input is always valued.

In the U.S. people don't think federal law is applied differently in each state so I don't know why they think Mexico is different.

I read on another site that income for dependents is half of the amount that needs to be proven for the first person. That will be expensive.

http://www.sandiegor...ulations-are-b/

The legal minimum daily wage in the Federal District in 2012 is 62.33 pesos, so 400 times that is 24,932 pesos, or $1,890 dollars at today's exchange rate of 13.19 pesos to the dollar. This amount is increased by 50% for each dependent. So, a married couple applying for the new Residente Temporal visa are required to have a minimum monthly income of $2,835.
An applicant for Residente Permanente must show either the same 20,000 days minimum wage in investments or a monthly employment or pension income of 500 times the minimum wage. That would be $2,365 dollars per month of income. A married couple would require $3,548 per month of income.

I hope this is wrong because it keeps getting worse.

Some have said the new financial rules don't apply to those who have been here for years and only applies to new people. I wish whoever knows where this is stated would post it.

This board is about, and for, people of the Lake Chapala area. You live in a different state, hence your local spin on the new laws could be different. I'm surprised one of your local (San Miguel) discussion boards doesn't have an active discussion going on this topic.

Spencer will be a big resource for we locals regarding how Jalisco is going to handle these laws. Hence, we are all very interested in what he comes up with, particularly since he has helped many of us, including my wife and I, with our immigration renewals in the past.

Check the Name of this section of the Forum Ajijic, Chapala and Guadalajara -

Ajijic as a a former resident of Lakeside and an English Speaker has provided all of us with valuable information for years.

As a resident of greater Guadalajara, and an English Speaker, any information pertaining to our status is valuable to all.

Your statements and bias is not relevant in this situation.

I don't know if it will help but I have emailed CNN, CNN Mexico, the White house, the Secretary of State, NBC, CBS, ABC, the New York Times and will do more tomorrow. I also asked the Guadalajara Reporter if it is doing a story.

I'm sure there will be stories about it, shedding light on the situation and possibly getting the brakes put on implementing the new rules.

Check the Name of this section of the Forum Ajijic, Chapala and Guadalajara -

Ajijic as a a former resident of Lakeside and an English Speaker has provided all of us with valuable information for years.

As a resident of greater Guadalajara, and an English Speaker, any information pertaining to our status is valuable to all.

Your statements and bias is not relevant in this situation.

I'm simply pointing out to him a fact we all know, that the different states implement these rules in different ways. He lives in a different state now. Here, Spencer is a prominent local expert but what he finds out may not be totally true there. People who live in other states need to rely more on local information.

I have read the new immigration laws at the beginning of this thread but I can't see any reference to foreign-plated cars. Why is it assumed that there may be new restrictions?

I found this on another site and it will make it particularly difficult for Canadians who own property and drive here every 6 months.

http://fulano.info/f...hread-2925.html

So what is the problem? Well, the new law says a foreigner can only have a Residente Temporal - the equivalent of the old FM3 - for four years, and then has to get the Residente Permanente. This causes some additional burdens. In Mexico, the law says that permanent residents have to drive a car with Mexican plates and have a Mexican drivers license. This means Americans forced to move to the Residente Permanente with cars in Mexico will have to "import" their US plated car -- at a cost of over $1,500. Once imported, the Mexican plated car cannot remain in the US for more than one-year.

If they ever decide to move back to the US with their Mexican plated car, they will have to re-import it back to the US and pay the customs fees.

Ajijic you wrote that the email address you had for SMA was lost or not working. I found this if it still works:

http://portaltranspa...pendencia=04111

HUGO SANCHEZ HERNANDEZ

HEAD OF IMMIGRATION REGULATIONS

CALZADA DE LA ESTACION DEL FERROCARRIL ESQUINA LUPITA S/N, Col. ESTACIÓN DEL FERROCARRIL, ALLENDE, Guanajuato, México, C.P. 37759

hsanchez@inami.gob.mx

It has been my experience that wives are at least as expensive and confusing as the INM rules.

I'm straight so I won't be getting a wife unless of course she financially qualifies to stay and wants a platonic relationship. I might go for it. Right now even gay guys will be considered, but I just can't get it going for men with walkers, drooling, drunks or big bellies, but who knows in another few weeks all might look good.

It has been my experience that wives are at least as expensive and confusing as the INM rules.

Thanks for the humour. And I am sure my wife would say the same about me. lol

Some think that the new permanante and temporal only require the stated income but that is for one person. Add 50% for each additional family member.

I asked Rolly because that information was on another site and he said that is the new rule.

http://www.sandiegor...ulations-are-b/

The legal minimum daily wage in the Federal District in 2012 is 62.33 pesos, so 400 times that is 24,932 pesos, or $1,890 dollars at today's exchange rate of 13.19 pesos to the dollar. This amount is increased by 50% for each dependent. So, a married couple applying for the new Residente Temporal visa are required to have a minimum monthly income of $2,835.
An applicant for Residente Permanente must show either the same 20,000 days minimum wage in investments or a monthly employment or pension income of 500 times the minimum wage. That would be $2,365 dollars per month of income. A married couple would require $3,548 per month of income.

I just got back from the immigration office, I went because when I was there last week the big guy told me to come back on Monday. The whole place is empty. I walk in and he shakes his head at me and says "nooooo". I said "no what"? and he tells me "no nothing, we have no system to do anything". I tell him that I am concerned because my document is expired now and he tells me not to worry about it. He looks at my paper with the NUT # on it and say's that my FM3 is still being processed.

I asked him "why have the income requirements been raised by so much, are they tring to keep foreigners from living in Mexico"? He says "Nah" . I asked if the published income requirements are what is actually required and he said "yes" .I asked him "well, what if I don't have that much"? He said "don't worry about it, you won't have a problem, you already have an FM3. I asked "oh, are they going to lower the income requirement in that case" ? "No. it is the new law" he say's.

So I ask him when I should come back and he say's "I dunno" and adds "don't worry . you will not have a problem" .

Ha, not hardly. I don't know what to make of it. He is not a chatty guy and it felt like he was just kind of blowing me off because he didn't know what to tell me. Or maybe they are going to give people who already hold migrante status a break on the income requirements ? I don't know.

What to wear? A sandwich, maybe?

This discussion is overlooking the option to live on less in Mexico and enjoy it more! I think those who come to mexico and attempt to duplicate their lifestyle in th 1st world really miss a grand opportunity. Its possible to live here and not have a car, tv, own a home, a kitchen or even a computer. One can be liberated form all the consumer traps. One of the reasons I admire the mexicans is there focus of family over material things, over possessions. Yes i know thats changing but still there's much to be learned in all of Latin America for the gringo. Most gringos own lots but are unhappy over one thing or another. Having less seems to ultimately make the person less burdened, make life more enjoyable. Those of us who live even part time in Mexico are fortunate to have the opportunity to completely change our lives not live the same life cheaper.

Archived