Chapala.com Webboard

New Immigration Laws

Ajijic

Thanks for the chart, etc. What I suspected. US and Canadian with some Russians (where are they BTW) are the majority of expats, some living permanently, some snowbirds (I'm one of those), and then the shiploads of US tourists. So I hope we don't hear more of this "entitlement" business. If push comes to shove, and it doesn't look good for some of us, we should make our voices heard, loud and clear. This is not politics for you nervous nellies, it's economics pure and simple. I kinda wonder how an exodus will affect Carlos Slim's profits. Maybe not too much. Probably the little guy who will get hurt the most.

I think it is off the map to think 100,000 foreigners would contribute pesos to a fund --for a what, lawsuit?-- unless it was very highly organized with goals and benefits well stated.

There are just too many free-loaders, sheep, and those who will work around the law no matter what. People like me can sell their casitas and leave. Tourists will keep coming regardless. The airlines and cruise ships will work it so they can.

Until we know what is really going to happen, if that is even possible in Mexico, I think we should cool our jets.

http://www.inegi.org...senotropais.pdf

From the 2010 census above, the top three countries represented the most are U.S. citizens at 76%, Guatemala at 3,7%, Spain at 2% and I guess the Russians are in "other countries" with 4.8%. Not enough Russians to list separately.

I think there are enough foreigners living in Mexico who are interested in having a "lobbyist" to protect their interests and it wouldn't cost that much, Spencer or whoever he selects can be in Mexico City whenever there is legislation that affects our interests and try to protect out interests so that we never go through this again. I know it is worth $100 pesos a year to me or 10 times that if I never have to read rules like these new rules again.

Even if the INM situation gets 'fixed' immediately, what has transpired since the signing of the law, and the long delayed development and implementation of still incomplete rules, will certainly slow down the flow of new retirees and even casual tourists. Trust has been lost and it is something that is difficult to regain. :010:

Exactly, most retirees are reluctant to consider Mexico now because of the media coverage of the violence. They sure won't move to Mexico if they think some new rules will pop up someday making them move. Whoever thought up the financials in these rules did not think ahead very far and obviously they do not know retirees very well.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please, Please keep this forum away from personal or stereotype attacks. I am one of those in limbo and I need accurate and useful information. My FM2 (no more) expiration date is December 6 and my nerves are raw because of the lack of clear and precise information from the government. My mom is in coma and if anything happen to her I may not be able to go and see her before she is not with us anymore. This is a serious matter that will affect a lot of people like RV. Privado. Giltner, my contribution to the medical establishment in Mexico is around 30,000.00 dollars from my own pocket. We are not leaches in this country, we are human beigns and we have a right to be treated as such. May your cup be always full.

Carib I was in a similar situation a few years ago and you should go to the Immigration people with a letter explaning that you may have to go as an emergency and they will give you a letter of permission to leave and come back. Go and talk to them they will work with you.

I have duel concerns as I am now thinking very seriously of leaving.

1. I made a mistake not changing to FM2 long ago as I bought a small house and now have got caught up in Capital gains of 30% of a very complicated and system that is costing a lot of my original investment when building. Yes the reduction for Tax purposes that I obviously went along with will hurt me.

2. To is the finances required to get the permanent Resident card is above our income somewhat. (if the numbers are correct)

I have been told to get the card but as my FM3 has just been renewed last month I am being told I cannot do anything till it expires so, if I sell I loose a lot of my savings.

The same here, plus the eight years of improvements. If we lose our inmigrante status, back to temporal or can't get permanente; then what? Still not conficent on the 'no financials' comments above. Any definite answers yet?

I gave it more thought last night and did a slow burn. If I'd said that and exchanged Mexican for Gringo I would have been branded racist and fourteen other things and likely banned. Now, maybe I'm being over sensitive, but all it takes is a few with that attitude to poison the well for all of us.

As I said I contribute nearly $3K a month, I do not use any MXN medical services (unless I pay directly for them) I employ gardener(s), pool guys, maintenance as needed, officina personnel, I over tip at Soriana, car wash, restaurants, just bought $80 worth of cookies (+cash) for my workers and neighbors for Christmas and suddenly I'm a parasite? And, as we're being dragged through the knothole backwards this whole thing with INM is raising some sizable red flags. If they will allow my nearly 5 years on FM3, and if they will allow me to go to Permanent, then maybe, but right now I'd bet that a lot of folks are on the edge of their chairs, including me.

I used to use an analogy in my presentations; suppose you're a kid watching some others playing basketball and you watch until you figure out how it works then join in, just when you're doing good someone grabs the basketball and throws in a football? - totally changing the dynamics and rules, what do you do?

I neither expect, nor want, worship or adoration for living here, only a smile and the extended hand of friendship and to be allowed to live quietly - but bite that hand a time or two and then I have to look at my remaining years.

On another board people are saying that Mexicans are ticked because foreigners who can afford not to are using INAMP for discounted travel and IMSS or SP.

I know people who have paid for IMSS for years and never used it. They have it only for a severe emergency. That is a lot of money going into IMSS that the member is not benefiting from and might never benefit. The same reason people without IMSS sign up for SP, for emergencies only and do not use the services for normal medical care.

As far as discounted travel, the buses and airlines list how many seats are available. If no one claims one they are sold to full paying customers. No one is blocking Mexicans from getting those seats.

The only thing the local states could be ticked about are property taxes. Seniors who want the 50% discount that is intended for Mexican pensioners who really do have less income than foreigners. I know a few foreigners who have complained and fought when paying their measly property taxes and they demand and expect the discount. That is cheap.

I think whoever wrote the rules didn't consider or know what U.S. and Canadian retirees really receive in retirement or what their assets are. I think the new amounts are a mistake and will be corrected but I don't think the near heart attacks this has caused will be forgotten any time soon and we have learned not to trust Mexico with our futures.

Archived