Chapala.com Webboard

New Immigration Laws

Ajijic

My question is this, how much do you have to show in income for your spouse. It's about half now, which is about 1800 US for FM3 and 2700 for FM2. I don't understand why it cost more to live here permanently than temporally if you do not own property. Cost of living lakeside is higher than other areas, but you do not 3000 US a month to live here.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My question is this, how much do you have to show in income for your spouse. It's about half now, which is about 1800 US for FM3 and 2700 for FM2. I don't understand why it cost more to live here permanently than temporally if you do not own property. Cost of living lakeside is higher than other areas, but you do not 3000 US a month to live here.

As to income for your spouse, ask in a couple of weeks. As stated above the answer is not public.

Our electric is 280 p every 2 months and has been almost the same all year. We are a family of 3 including a 7 year old. We have pressurized water, a new small LED TV and a 42" one year old LCD TV, the latter on several hours a day. We have a gas dryer which we use vs air drying and an automatic washer. We have a large one-year old refrigerator. My point is the newer TV's and appliances save on electricity. Plus every light is compact fluorescent except for 6 LED. We do not have lights on in a room that is unoccupied nor do we use the TV all day as a source of music. And, maybe part of the difference is we have a new digital meter that is likely well calibrated but I do not understand how some bills get so high.

Propane is about $25 a month.

In summary, our expenses are similar to El Toro Furioso.

Today, we bought 4 large butter avocados (thin skin) for 20 p, a kilo of guayaba for 10 pesos, two 44 pound bag of oranges for So Others May Eat for 50 p each ($4), a kilo of plum tomatoes for 12 p, a litre of fresh cut fruit for 15 p. We shop at Mexican markets and do not pay expat prices.

Our total expenses are about half of what they would be in southern Ontario. I will admit the quality of homes in general is poor and over priced but only because people will pay the price. Our 3 bedroom, 2 bath, 2 year old home, 1500 sq ft plus 500 sq ft of covered patios was under $50 a sq ft plus land with boveda ceilings in every room including bathrooms and sillar for walls.

In San Miguel the new laws will be put into practice on Friday November 9th. Will Chapala be doing the same?

My visa expires Nov 13 so just in time as I am hoping for Permanent Resident status.

I was at the Chapala office on Monday getting the requirements for inmigrado. They too state that the new law will be implemented on the 9th although he didn't give me the impression that he knew any of the specifics.

My FM2 expires on the 6th. The guy at INM said I needed to come in on the 7th or 8th to apply for inmigrado and not to wait until the 9th. Once the app is in process he says it will finish under the rules in place at the time. Whether I get a card that says inmigrado or permanente makes no difference to me. We'll see what happens next week.

Yes, once all the info is out which it isn't. A classmate wrote an article and mentioned a date of Nov. 12th, we shall soon know all or maybe not... as we are speaking about the government!

More information:

Para conocimiento del público usuario: Nueva Ley de migración Se les informa que a partir del día 09 de Noviembre del presente año entra en vigor la nueva ley de migración y su reglamento, por tal motivo se les exhorta a conocerla para que tengan conocimiento de sus nuevos derechos y obligaciones, ya que esta ley contempla un gran número de cambios en los trámites migratorios que ustedes conocen, tal es el caso del artículo 9 que a continuación se cita: Articulo 9. Los jueces y oficiales del registro civil no podrán negar a los migrantes, independientemente de su situación migratoria, la autorización de los actos de estado civil ni la expedición de las actas relativas a nacimento, reconocimiento de hijos, matrimonio, divorcio y muerte. Ustedes pueden encontrar dicha ley y su reglamento en la página

Looks to confirm what I suspected before, the end of the "tax" on foreigners to marry or divorce.

Mexico is a signatory to international treaties where foreigners should not be treated differently. The most expensive immigration procedure is the permission to divorce and only applies to foreigners. It goes against the treaties as it singles out foreigners to charge them and not nationals for an extra fee to marry a national or divorce. In the new law as well as the law of government fees I saw that the fees for marriage and divvorce were missing. This year Mexico eliminated the $5,000 peso fee for foreigners buying outside the restricted zone.

As far as the FM3 expiring December 12, you will have to wait to renew under the new system unless you change to FM2. If you might sell your home I would do this option as you will be grandfathered in for a year as far as ability to qualify and drive a foreign plated vehicle, if not then we shall see.

When one becomes 'Inmigrado', which will become 'Residente Permanente', owning or driving a foreign plated car is not an option. Under the new rules, it seems that one will become a permanent resident after an initial period as a temporary resident, or have to leave the ountry. If that is the case, It will make dealing with INM much easier, then unnecessary.

When one becomes 'Inmigrado', which will become 'Residente Permanente', owning or driving a foreign plated car is not an option. Under the new rules, it seems that one will become a permanent resident after an initial period as a temporary resident, or have to leave the ountry. If that is the case, It will make dealing with INM much easier, then unnecessary.

Can't someone have an FM2 retired, non-working visa now and drive a foreign plated vehicle?

FM2's, as we know them, vanish on 9th November. Under the current rules and with a non-working FM2, one can have a foreign plated vehicle - but - everything is changing. The question of vehicles falls under Customs and not Immigration - there are no rulings from them yet.

the more i read, the more i am confused about my own situation. i have an fm3 and it will expire jan 17th. I am currently represented by one of my current 4 employers. the problem i face is that the employer i renew under i do not make my total income from. will i have to prove income from all my 4 employers? with the 4 employers, i make about 1500 usd a month, mas o menos.

i am very concerned about how this will all pan out. i just plan to show up at INM, present the documents that i would normally show for renerwal and go from there. i am sure they will inform and guide me. i am just a little tense wondering if i am going to be able to prove i make enough money to keep working as an english teacher. i have no pension as of yet as an additional cushion.

any feedback might be helpful

On Surviving Yucatan Steve reports that only time on what we call a FM-2 will be accrued towards permanent resident status. Soon we will know for sure.

I would like to know what is truly happening with those applying now. My renewal is next week.

Why we have to wait for Spencer I do not understand. Spencer is a friend and a contact and we often share information, at times weekly but I do not expect him to be the only source nor do I expect his are the only opinions that will guide us; nor do I want them to be.

How the Federal laws are applied in various states helps all of us. If, for example, somewhere else they accept time on a FM-3 (non-inmigrante) towards Permanent Resident this is something we want to know. Information is power. This helps others present their case wherever they may live in Mexico. It is for this very reason and knowledge we sent clients from San Miguel to Spencer as we discovered application was different. For some, traveling to another state knowing the law is applied with less stringency vs having to leave the county to obtain or renew a visa will be worth knowing. Imagine discovering one can get a visa in another state as rules are applied differently when the person thought their only option was to leave Mexico permanently. Is this a discussion that is not allowed?

So, stop the speculation and no personal attacks but lets share what we can be it from Spencer or anyone else including Immigration experiences at the border and in other states.

Plus many are on this web board who are about to come to Mexico for the winter. They need to know what to expect at the border. They need to know if different and additional documents are needed. They need to know processing times. they need to know if the process and required documents are different at one crossing vs another.

This board is about, and for, people of the Lake Chapala area. You live in a different state, hence your local spin on the new laws could be different. I'm surprised one of your local (San Miguel) discussion boards doesn't have an active discussion going on this topic.

Spencer will be a big resource for we locals regarding how Jalisco is going to handle these laws. Hence, we are all very interested in what he comes up with, particularly since he has helped many of us, including my wife and I, with our immigration renewals in the past.

Well if one called the hotline they get the answers.

Time on FM-3 not counted towards Permanent Resident.

To renew from a FM-2 to Temporary Resident no proof of income.

I have 2 years on a FM-2. I can renew for 2 more at same time and pay 4690 pesos. I need passport, photos, application and of course copies.

It does not matter where you live this is a federal law.

We all appreciate Spencer's input (which we have privately shared often and as noted sent him clients for SMA) but on such an important topic which may determine if some have to leave Mexico he should not be the sole source and a lawyer's input is always valued.

Archived