Chapala.com Webboard

Spanish language intensives in Oaxaca

Theresa

I have done it 2x (2008 and 2010) at ICO Institute Cultural de Oaxaca. It has been around a while and has a nice campus whereas others I checked into then were just in a house. ICO is a hacienda style with numerous classrooms, sitting areas inside and outside and a kitchen / cafeteria for coffee and snacks. I found the teachers good and the classes small (3 or 4 usually). I took the full package which is 3 hr / day class, 1 hr conversation with the teacher and another with a mexican student wanting to learn English (30 minutes talk in each language). i ended my day at the cooking class which just gave me more practice speaking. I stayed at a Posasa (Posada St Maria) located about 2 blocks from the school and on a large park. the owner Bibiana was wonderful. (an older woman like me!) All rooms have private baths, TV and fans. SHe provides a breakfast and then her student price was $16 US / night. She also speaks perfect English as her father was born in San Fran CA. As to location the el centro is about 8 blocks but the bus goes right by the door. I usually walked. I also recommend the tours run thru the school on weekends and the micro finance tour to a village where women borrow money to start / run small businesses. Forget the name. PM if you need more info.

I was in ICO in 2012 and it has not changed from the above description. Good, solid school. Apparently there are a lot of language schools in Oaxaca and you could probably just go and try different ones until you find one to your liking.

Archived