Chapala.com Webboard

how to obtain a US IP address

bdmowers

Pete - they are using it with Paypal? The warning is only about using a VPN with Paypal.

Darn, I guess I speed read the statement. I only read

"Here's the absolute, no exceptions, golden, never break it - rule DO NOT USE A VPN under any conditions, under any circumstances yada yada yada, or you too will get hauled through the knothole backwards, end of message"

I totally missed that point about paypal. Thanks for explaining to me what I missed, Mike.

Sorry

Pete

• 2 months later...

Just arrived Lakeside and seen the ugly message from NETFLIX that I cannot see my streaming movies because I am in Mexico. I many of you have faced the same issue aabout year ago and wonder where you eventually landed and whether you are able to watch US NETFLIX? Would you be willing to share what you are doing to watch NETFLIX? Thanks

Well, I'm one of those using strongvpn to watch US Netflix both on my computer and I have a special router that I use with my Apple Extreme and my big screen TV. Bob Mitchell, the local MAC Guru got me all set up.

Good luck!

Valerie :)

i didnt under stand one word of the above posts, but it looks like people here know about internet. off topic but maybe computer related. as of 3 weeks ago youtube will not play about 50% of the vids. theres just a black screen, no moving circle. then i noticed the ones which DID work have a mexican commericial prior. its very agressive, there is a screaming woman selling soap. they let you "stop the vid" after a few seconds. now i sometimes do get some videos w/out that commerical, that do play, but others no. i wonder, is mexico putting a damper on google who owns youtube? i use you tube for news, films etc. can someone explain this in simple terms?

Guest Danna Paje

So, will a Roku box work here in Ajijic if I use a VPN in Los Angeles? Bought a Roku awhile back, but didn't bring it down, not thinking it would work.

i didnt under stand one word of the above posts, but it looks like people here know about internet. off topic but maybe computer related. as of 3 weeks ago youtube will not play about 50% of the vids. theres just a black screen, no moving circle. then i noticed the ones which DID work have a mexican commericial prior. its very agressive, there is a screaming woman selling soap. they let you "stop the vid" after a few seconds. now i sometimes do get some videos w/out that commerical, that do play, but others no. i wonder, is mexico putting a damper on google who owns youtube? i use you tube for news, films etc. can someone explain this in simple terms?

Perhaps you can try a different browser (ie Internet Explorer vs. Firefox vs. Safari vs. Chrome). It's also possible that the Flash Player needs to be updated or reinstalled. Most YouTubes have Mexican commercials along the bottom of the video, because of where we are. Your browser cache might need clearing. There are a dozen other things that might be interfering. But NO, there is no blocking going on.

So, will a Roku box work here in Ajijic if I use a VPN in Los Angeles? Bought a Roku awhile back, but didn't bring it down, not thinking it would work.

You would use a VPN or IP ghosting service here in Mexico. It's your modem that holds the address information. block.us and hidemyass are two that I know work quite well.

helper guy, "live" commericials from mexico is a new thing. i keep the volume off then press skip this ad. not all vids have them, but also not all vids play. i suppose the black blank vids have nothing to do w/mexico & you are correct it is a computer issue. (btw, the same screaming soap commerical wont make me go & buy detergent). i wont change anything on my computer & dont know what clearing cache flash etc is. thankyou anyway, i will live w/it.

tony sorry but you can see by my post that i do not know what that is. i will live w/the few seconds of the commericial & shut volume off then skip ad. (there are only 2 commericials they show, one is better. this one is 2 screamers standing over a dish washer. youtube is free, so you get this stuff).

I notice the original post was asking about streaming video content in this case Netflix. All the suggestions appear to recommend a VPN solution. This is not the best solution for a few reasons.

1. VPN is always encrypted, so you loose effective bandwidth depending on the protocol chosen (10 - 50% of your local download speed). For VPN video streaming choose the L2TP protcol which is the most efficient one. (OpenVPN and PPTP are worse).

2. If you want to receive content from different countries you have to manually switch the VPN endpoint.

3. To use a Wii, Roku etc you really need a special modem (to translate a VPN to a local LAN).

If streaming is the priority then go with a dynamic IP solution. this provides auto country endpoint switching, no encryption (no data loss). I can stream HDTV on a 3mbps TelMex downlink (just). Something you cannot do with the VPN solution.

For more info just PM me.

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm..so if one had an IP blocker or VPN as those mentioned previous, would you be able to then take advantage of say downloading movies to kindle etc..from Amazon...

This is all a tad above my computer literacy...but would love to be able to access downloading movies from amazon to kindle and also watch netflix...

• 5 months later...

Sorry if this is stirring up an old thread, but I have a question for those who successfully have found a solution for streaming content from the U.S. (or any other country) into Mexico.

1. I have read where a special router (flash) is advised for vpn solutions. Is a router in addition to the the Telmex modem needed?

2. If so, are all these add-in routers compatible with Telmex modems or only some of them? Do I need to go to Telmex to ask which routers are compatible with Telmex modems?

3. If I use the dynamic IP solution (and I am clueless about this solution), does it prevent me from using Roku 3. In other words, do I have to use an extra router to get VPN in order to use Roku 3 for all U.S. content to stream.

Thanks,

Sorry if this is stirring up an old thread, but I have a question for those who successfully have found a solution for streaming content from the U.S. (or any other country) into Mexico.

1. I have read where a special router (flash) is advised for vpn solutions. Is a router in addition to the the Telmex modem needed?

I advise against using a VPN service. You will use bandwidth just for the VPN and then your connection may be too slow to stream anything. Instead use one of the IP ghosting services. I use Unblock-US. $5 per month and a free trial to see if it works for you. It doesn't use bandwidth, it just makes the server you are connecting to think you are in the correct country. Check the site, Unblock-US has a whole slew of servers you can access. Netflix (in all the countries in which it is offered), Pandora, Amazon Prime, BBC, etc.

2. If so, are all these add-in routers compatible with Telmex modems or only some of them? Do I need to go to Telmex to ask which routers are compatible with Telmex modems?

Don't need to change -- see above and below.

3. If I use the dynamic IP solution (and I am clueless about this solution), does it prevent me from using Roku 3. In other words, do I have to use an extra router to get VPN in order to use Roku 3 for all U.S. content to stream.

I have a Roku 3 and use it with Unblock-US. Just go to the site before you start your Roku so you do it the correct way. You don't need VPN or a special router. All I did was sign up for Unblock-US and change the DNS settings in my router -- you can do this on any router -- and anything that connects through that router will appear to certain servers to originate in the correct country. That is the good part about IP ghosting, no bandwidth overhead and it only affects certain servers. The bad part is that not all servers can be spoofed so you may not be able to access everything you would like. Try it first and see.

Thanks,

spacedebris is right on.

Thanks to some people on this board, and some customers, I can now provide a fairly good list of IP ghosters.

- privateinternetacces.com $3.33/mo. Recommended May 2013 on Webboard

- HideMyAss

- EasyHide

- SpotShield Elite: $30 a year.

And Strong VPN. Recommended by several people on Webboards. More expensive: $30/3 months; no idea if this is a true VPN or a ghoster.

Installed a $40 Roku box today; it streams directly to your TV, and shows no signs of being slow. Same with Apple TV. You then can subscribe to Netflix, country of your choice, with no language problem. In fact, the last Apple TV is set up, I had to change the location to the U.S.... but the Roku today automatically set up for the U.S.

Are you using a VPN to get the Roku to Netflix, Hulu, etc. in the US? I'm looking at Strong VPN for remote work but I was told Hulu and others on the Roku require US ISPs.

I have used Strong, Open and now Overplay. I like overplay the best, it does not slow down at all, and if you have any issues customer support is very good.

For the person talking about Paypal, yep, learned the hard way myself... also, don't try to use xoom with a VPN or you will be blocked and banned for life!

Archived