Chapala.com Webboard

how to obtain a US IP address

bdmowers

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to do this so Spanish language screens don't come up onthe computer? Mostly I want to do this so I get the US version of Netflix. Thanks.

I like HMA. It does cost $70-80 a year USD but others I tried slowed things down, had ads, popups, etc etc and I find this

one excellent....also allows you to look at sports and TV show reruns etc that you can't get with a Mexican IP. I'm sure

there are others that are fine as well.

I really like witopia (http://www.witopia.net). Any VPN will work, although it may slow your speeds a bit, but it´s worth it. I like witopia because they´ve walked me online through problems that were basically my own fault (technodino). When I had it installed on my tablet, the rep even helped me with some tablet-related questions that were far outside of their VPN responsibility. I know that as soon as I finished, they were probably laughing themselves sick over how dumb my questions were, but they´ve never been anything but super-polite to me. Well worth the $$.

FWIW, I watch US Netflix with no problems.

I subscribe to Telmex's $599 plan that should give me 5 mgs of internet speed. I actually receive 1.75 down and 0.30 upload.

When I use a ISP blocker I receive 0.40 down and 0.10 upload. There is no reason to buy an ISP with speeds that low. It is a Telmex problem. I went in and talked to them and asked to get on their $999 plan to increase speed but they said that wouldn't help. I just have to wait until they get around to putting in new lines. I live on Tempisque, just west of Juarez where they have already changed the lines. So all I can do is hurry up and wait like the rest of my neighbors.

maw

I subscribe to Telmex's $599 plan that should give me 5 mgs of internet speed. I actually receive 1.75 down and 0.30 upload.

When I use a ISP blocker I receive 0.40 down and 0.10 upload. There is no reason to buy an ISP with speeds that low. It is a Telmex problem. I went in and talked to them and asked to get on their $999 plan to increase speed but they said that wouldn't help. I just have to wait until they get around to putting in new lines. I live on Tempisque, just west of Juarez where they have already changed the lines. So all I can do is hurry up and wait like the rest of my neighbors.

maw

Your speeds are quite normal for the $599 package, It's just they are (way to) slowly upgrading your speeds to what is now advertised. And yes when you go through a VPN (hide the fact that you are here) the speeds will slow down. How much? I never checked

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to do this so Spanish language screens don't come up onthe computer? Mostly I want to do this so I get the US version of Netflix. Thanks.

We use Hide My IP; costs about $9.00 US a month. We like it because we can get an IP address from the US, England, Canada, etc. Netflix has different TV/movies available depending on where you are from... so we can change our IP and get a larger variety of offerings.

Carol

I needed a US ip address for banking and finally got around to researching it. Came up with Strong VPN for $ 55US for the year. One of the best deals around.

I hooked up this afternoon to their Miami server and was getting 5.0mb down and my upload speed was faster than without the VPN.

So, I got no degradation, I got an improvement on upload, and I got my banking done, and I can watch Netflix.

Such a good deal.

I needed a US ip address for banking and finally got around to researching it. Came up with Strong VPN for $ 55US for the year. One of the best deals around.

I hooked up this afternoon to their Miami server and was getting 5.0mb down and my upload speed was faster than without the VPN.

So, I got no degradation, I got an improvement on upload, and I got my banking done, and I can watch Netflix.

Such a good deal.

who did you use? Ineed a usa ip

Gilligan said he uses Strong VPN: http://strongvpn.com/

OpenVPN is the same company, but it's cheaper. Strong has lots more encryption for privacy, but most people don't need it. OpenVPN is safe as well and more affordable at $30 a month. If I remember right, they have a side by side comparison for the two on their website. Strong has more adaptability as I recall.

Here's an odd one, I check lucianne.com for a wide range of stories and about a week abo I can't get to it, can't ping it, sitestatus.net can't see it, none of my PC's with either FF or IE and not even on dialup. Finally today I went to VPN to get to it, can't imagine why that site would be blocked in Mexico?

Installed a $40 Roku box today; it streams directly to your TV, and shows no signs of being slow. Same with Apple TV. You then can subscribe to Netflix, country of your choice, with no language problem. In fact, the last Apple TV is set up, I had to change the location to the U.S.... but the Roku today automatically set up for the U.S.

OpenVPN is the same company, but it's cheaper. Strong has lots more encryption for privacy, but most people don't need it. OpenVPN is safe as well and more affordable at $30 a month. If I remember right, they have a side by side comparison for the two on their website. Strong has more adaptability as I recall.

Did you mean $30. per year or was that correct per month...?

I want to be able to check sites and use Netflix thus hide my ISP but amnot willing to lose speed,as far as I am concerned it is slow enough here, LOL.

Tony, OpenVPN is $30 a MONTH and Strong VPN is $50 a YEAR?

In a parallel thread regarding PayPal I just got off the phone with the following:

Here's the absolute, no exceptions, golden, never break it - rule

DO NOT USE A VPN under any conditions, under any circumstances yada yada yada, or you too will get hauled through the knothole backwards, end of message.

Archived