Chapala.com Webboard

Buying a Mexican Plated Used Car from a dealer

Mainecoons

Let's say one buys a late model used car from a franchised new car dealer of the same brand. For example, buying a 2011 CRV from a Honda car dealer in GDL.

Does the posted price include the tax? How much more should one expect to pay over the price of the vehicle with tax, for registering the car in Jalisco? Any other expenses?

In the U.S. it is pretty safe to buy a late model used car from a certified dealer of the same brand. Is that the case here as well?

There are several Honda car dealers in GDL. Is one of them to be preferred?

Thanks.

Yes, you can be comfortable buying a used car from a new car dealer. They only keep the good ones and the IVA is typically included in the price. The dealer will usually take care of getting the registration and tags, which will often take three days. Then, you can pick up the car. We've helped others do that.

When buying a new car, the situation was similar, except that the dealer delivered the car to Chapala when the registration was completed.

Note that there will be little 'wiggle room' in the price they ask, but you might get them to throw in some insurance, new floor mats, etc.

Generally, we've found it a more pleasant experience than buying a used car in the USA.

Do try to find a manufacturer "certified" used car. When shopping for a late model used Toyota we had a bit of an issue with one of the regular used cars. The dealer was kind enough to allow us to replace that car with a Toyota Certified model, which adds a 3 year warranty. That car was very clean. Since there is no longer tenencia tax, your added expenses will be very minor.

If you work with Spencer at S & S Auto he will, for for a reasonable fee, help you with the buying process and have the car inspected by an independent mechanic. We found him most helpful even when buying a new car.

I would reccomend bying a used car from Honda or Toyota agency. Toyota even gives garantee on used cars for 3 years or 125,000 kms. This is also the best time of year to buy a used car as so many people trade in for the new 2013 models. More room for negotiation.There was an Honda agency in the mall next to Subway but it very recently closed.

I have dealt with Vamsa Nissan, on Lopez Mateo Sur, and Eurostern Mercedes/Smart, at Glorieta Minerva. Both were very good.

I have also heard good things about the Honda dealer on Gonzalez Gallo.

None of these new car dealers keep many trades; just the very best ones, often company cars which have been traded at two years and some have been lightly used.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a great experience buying a used Ford Explorer from Lahzer Motors on Patria & Manuel Cloutier. I started by looking for used cars using the Mexican web site http://www.soloautos.com.mx

I made a list of about 8 different semi-nuevos lots that had cars I wanted to check out, marked their locations on a Guadalajara map and spent a Saturday driving from place to place. No English but that didn't pose a huge problem.

We ended up buying another Ford Explorer because our old one was so reliable driving all over Mexico and even into Guatemala. There wasn't any negotiation on price but I felt I paid a reasonable amount especially after checking out similar models on a Carmax lot in Dallas. I paid another $1,500 pesos to get the title transferred to my name as well as Jalisco plates and hologram. The car only had one key so the sales guy bought the blank key and fob but when I went back and found out the guy who programs the key couldn't come until late in the afternoon, I took the blanks and paid to get them programmed at the key store in Chapala.

We drove both cars back to Dallas last month and disposed of the US plated car in anticipation of applying for inmigrado status next week.

The only issue with these semi-nuevos shops is that they have little space for inventory so cars are packed like sardines and it takes time to move others out so you can look at a single car. Lahzer was the only one that responded to my inquiry sent from the web site and when I arrived, they already had the car I wanted to see waiting for me.

We would recommend Vanguardia near the Galerias mall and that you talk with Lic. Jesus Alonso Aguilar. He speaks English, is very helpful and takes good care of his customers. This Honda dealership is first class in every way.

The phone number is 333-673-4000 and ask for him by name. He sells new cars there and has for a number of years, but he can also sell you a used one offered there at the dealership.

You can email him with questions: aguilar@hondavanguardia.com.mx to ask what they have available etc. He made a car purchase a really great experience for us and hope he can help you too.

Archived