Chapala.com Webboard

Zeta cap killed ?

Floradude

Mexico: 'Strong evidence' Zetas drug cartel capo 'The Executioner' killed by marines

121009-lazcano-mexico-1240a.photoblog600.jpg

EPA

Heriberto Lazcano Lazcano, also known as "Z-3," is one of Mexico's most wanted men and U.S. authorities have offered a reward of up to $5 million for his capture. Only Joaquin "Shorty" Guzman, boss of the Sinaloa Cartel, would represent a bigger prize to the government.

By Reuters

Mexican marines may have killed the leader of the brutal Zetas drug cartel in a gun battle in northern Mexico, in what would be one of the biggest victories yet in the government's six-year war on organized crime.

The Navy said late on Monday there was "strong evidence" Heriberto Lazcano had been killed in a firefight with marines in the northern state of Coahuila on Sunday afternoon.

<br>

Follow @NBCNewsWorld

If the death of Lazcano, alias "The Executioner," is confirmed, he would be the most powerful capo to fall in President Felipe Calderon's military offensive on the gangs.

The Zetas, considered one of the two most powerful drug gangs in Mexico, have perpetrated some of the most sickening acts seen in the country's drug war that has killed about 60,000 people during Calderon's term.

Advertise | AdChoices

Two suspected Zetas gang members who attacked the marines with grenades from a moving car were killed in the gunfight and initial forensic tests suggested one of the bodies was the former soldier Lazcano, the Navy said in a statement.

What wouldn't surprise me at all with the election is that the rest of the cartels are told quietly that if you keep your noses clean when it comes to stuff like extortion, kidnapping and public executions, we'll (the government)leave you alone and we're all going after the Zetas and the street criminals.

Pure conjecture on my part. Not advocating it, just saying that it wouldn't surprise me.

According to Mexico city radio Imagen this morning, they brought the body to a funeral home, where they just left it guarded by the funeral home staff.

A big leader like this, of one of the biggest cartels,... and they just leave it in the hands of an ordinary funeral home, where it is stolen afterwards .... ???

Now they claim that all this happened because of lack of coordination between different police forces and they only found out later who they actually killed (while they immediately stumbled upon very heavy weaponry... and that would not make you wonder ?? ). They would call this a "lucky strike". Yea right.

Even with a small criminal here at the Chapala red cross, I see how well the building is guarded by policemen .

On top of that, authorities sent out the wrong height (saying that he measured 1m 60 only) and wrong date of birth.

And now this is just a personal opinion..... if I compare the pictures of the living and death person, I think that they do not look alike.

Something fishy... or clumsiness to the extreme. You choose.

It also reminds me of a few months ago, when they said they captured El Chapo´s son....

By the way,..... really strange things going on in that state (Coahuila ) for the last weeks.

Mexico,... a country where more people escape from prison than put in there,.... where even the dead are kidnapped and reality beats any oscar winning movie..... or death people just get up and walk away.

I would not like to live anywhere else.

Apparently the official explanation will be that the Marines did not know they had killed someone important and took Lazcano's body to the nearest funeral home in Sabinas, where it was photographed and fingerprinted for later identification. After that was done, whoever brought the bodies there left. A group of Zetas arrived later and took them before they were identifed.

Archived