Chapala.com Webboard

Armando's Hideaway

RVGRINGO

Armando's Hideaway advertized a 'Romantic Special'. New owners have replaced retiring Armando and his wife and they've retained all the best of their cuisine and ambiance and even enhanced it with some new touches of their own.

It remains a very pleasant place to dine on double linens and a well set table, without the interference of loud music or other distractions. Tableside service continues to be excelent, as does the variety of dishes available. Our table of four had Caesar Salads, Mustard Steak, two shrimp plates and a Red Snapper filet, followed by desert and coffe. We each had one drink and all were very pleased & plan to return soon.

Give Armondo's Hideaway a try. If you liked it before, you'll love it still. If you haven't been there, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

If you can find Hotel Danza del Sol, Armando's is on Privada Ocampo, which runs along the east wall of the hotel, between Ocampo and Zaragosa in Ajijic. You can approach from Ocampo and turn north, or from the Carretera, turn south, then left at Danza del Sol, passing it and parking at the corner of Privada Ocampo and Zaragosa. You will see the restaurant a few steps south on Privada Ocampo. It is a quiet and tranquil location, off the 'beaten path' but ideal for pleasant dining.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is ample street parking within yards of the entrance. I don't know of a 'patio', as I've never explored the full depth of the building; however, I doubt it.

They can handle groups and there are daily $50 peso specials. Call for a reservation or a group and if there are enough, you might 'influence' the possibility of a desired 'special' for lunch. So I am told.

REVIEW: Last night my wife and I visited the newly acquired Armando's Hideaway. We had made a reservation and when we arrived our table was reserved and beautifully set. Amy the new owner, from the outset was pleasant and enthusiastic in her welcome. The serving staff were attractive, meticulous and well supervised throughout our evening. Unlike many other restaurant owners Amy was always present and overseeing her staff in a calm and constructive manner. The staff were a joy to watch and were so very pleasant that it was a wonderful and welcome change. Over the years we followed the previous owner from the original Ajijic Plaza location to Danza Del Sol and then on to the location where Amy now commands. Prior to arriving last night we had also phoned to inquire about the wine offering(s) and had asked if the weekend special (dinner for two) had been extended to address the Canadian Thanksgiving. Yes, the weekend special offering would be available and the wines were described. The house wine, fortunately, was not one of the terrible wines found so frequently here in restaurants at Lakeside. We also asked if there would be a corkage if we brought our own wine and were somewhat shocked when we were told that our own wine would be welcome and that the corkage charge would only be $20.00pesos.

Over the past couple of years we had somewhat forgotten about Armando's Hideaway but after last night we'll definitely go back and likely...quite often!

We each shared the Caesar salad for two. It was excellent and made completely at tableside. The best we've had in years and it would put to shame most other Ajijic offerings of this very necessary steakhouse standby. Old habits are hard to break so we both ordered the Pepper Steak and as in the past it was prepared/sauteed at tableside and the end result was almost perfect. I say "almost" because we ordered the steaks "medium" despite really wanting "medium rare". However, we've just become so used to almost always having to send our steaks back for "more cooking" at our other local restaurants that we just followed our adopted practice but.........the steaks were cooked exactly as we had ordered.......medium! Yes, we should have asked Amy in advance when we ordered as to what her restaurant's version of "medium rare" would have been and we have no doubt now that we would have received exactly what we wanted. However, our steaks, although "medium" were wonderful! Flavorful and tender with very much the same delicious peppercorn sauce that was always a signature dish at Armando's Hideaway. Vegetables were cooked perfectly with the exception of the potatoes which were simply over-pureed. (I actually told Amy when she inquired about meal that the potatoes more resembled grits and she simply smiled and said that she work to fix it in the future.)

Not everything can be 100% but Amy and crew came very close. Actually everything else was so great that we certainly forgave the potato issue!

When it came to dessert we initially said that we would pass but Amy insisted that we simply had to try her special (included) Strawberry/Chocolate Triffle. We gave in and said we'd share and that's what we did and if we have not taken her up on her suggestion we would have missed out on a wonderful and lovely dessert. It was worth every bite!

As we had arrived with our own wine and two glasses of house wine had been included in the special dinner package, Amy suggested that as an alternative she would be pleased to offer us a post meal special coffee as a complimentary alternative. We did exactly that and again our Spanish coffees were perfectly made at tableside and they were a wonderful close to a very lovely dinner and evening. Her two servers were a treat to watch as they made the coffees and it was very apparent that Amy has already spent a great deal of time with her new employees to ensure that they also contribute to the success of her restaurant.

We wish Amy and her staff well and look forward to returning soon. However, I would suggest that even though we appreciated the amount of our final bill for the evening, both my wife and I feel very strongly that at least $50.00pesos would be more appropriate for the corkage charge for a bottle of wine.

Your review makes a trip there a must. But a question: the nine years I've been here, the restaurant has always been Armando's house and restaurant, and the previous five years that I visited before moving here it seems to me that it was then, too. Have I forgotten something?

You bet....just as I reported. Two locations before the current one. They were at Danza Del Sol before Melanies! Just ask Amy as she knows the history. She worked closely with the owner in buying the restaurant. She definitely seems to have her "head screwed on right!"

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow......we never made it to Armando's until today at lunchtime. Their ad had some tempting offerings, so off we went.

We didn't find any 50 peso specials, but the menu for lunch (and for dinner) was very reasonable, with many offerings for around 65 pesos, and excellent iced tea (spouse's drink of choice) for 15 pesos.

We like seafood and noted that the dinner menu had a number of our favorites for under $120 pesos.

Lunch: Husband had the Pork Burrito and declared it the best in town. Nice side of rice and good beans on the plate. Very large burrito.

I had the Hot Ham and Swiss sandwich with pasta salad. Oh yum! Good ham, good French bread and salad.

According to our gracious hostess, you could have the dinner menu items if you wanted them during lunch hours, or even a simple bowl of soup. The neighboring diner recommended the chicken soup she had selected.

We will definitely be back. Easy parking in the area. Right next to the Danza del Sol hotel

Hours: 11:30a.m.-9 p.m.. Closed Tuesdays.

We decided to give Armando's a try after reading the reviews and are very glad we did. We both had the fillet ... asked first if the beef was U.S. or Mexican .... it was Mexican beef that the owner purchases from someone in Joco. Amy assured us that it was tasty and tender and it was. It came with mashed potatoes, green beans and carrots and a hot roll. Excellent iced tea. We will be back to try other things on the menu. The service was excellent.

With all the great reviews we couldn't resist and went this evening with another couple. We'd been a couple of times in the past - what a nice change now. Amy is doing all the right things including being attentive but not overly so. Plates and food served hot. Hand towels before the first course. Caesar salad slightly spicy and perfect amount of dressing. Our complaint before was not enough variety but not so now. Priced at a great value for what you get.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend and I were there today also. It is right around the corner from my house so I am delighted to find a very good restaurant just a few minutes walk away.

My friend and I each tried two different pastas and were pleased. The croissants that were served as we waited for our meal were hot and tasted lie they were fresh from the oven; hot, crispy on the outside and soft inside.

Amy and her staff are friendly and want to please.

We both agreed we would be back.

• 5 weeks later...

Eight of us had dinner at Armando's last night before going to see The Fantastiks (which is a must see, by the way). To a person, we all had excellent meals. Wonderful stuffed mushrooms and ceasar salad as openers. One person had the filet and said it was just melt in your mouth. The shrimp sauteed in garlic and white wine special was superb as was the salmon carbonero served on a bed of fettucini. Wonderful hot croissants. Very decent wind priced at 150 pesos per bottle. Very good service and an owner who cares enough to check and see how everyone is doing.

The big difference I noticed when compared with previous experiences at Armando's is that the place was doing a very good business. In the past, it has always been rather quiet. Last night, it was definitely busy.

For us, Armando's is now on our list of restaurants to return to.

After reading the reviews here we went there for thanksgiving and were very disappointed.

What was described as pink grapefruit salad was very pink but had little relationship to either grapefruit or salad.

The main course, small portions and lumpy potatoes.

Restaurants may make a quick buck at the holidays but how much future business do they lose.

Also no wine list and the staff could not quote the prices!!

But the wine was the only good thing I had when I finally found what they had.

Lumpy potatoes? IMO, they're supposed to resemble real potatoes, mashed, rather than the smooth kind that comes from a box, but different strokes, I guess.

I like 'em just like they serve 'em.

I'm still trying to figure out what Helper Guy meant by "expensive wind"???

One nice touch I've found is that if you're on some kind of restrictive diet, Amy and her mother will fix something to accommodate it.

Archived