Chapala.com Webboard

Another Bus trip to TX?

khof

Yikes! If you haven't already, on the ajijic/chapala/guadalajara forum read the locked thread on pg 5

titled "did the bus trip to McAllen happen?" I don't think they have decided when or if they're doing the

next one as some additional advanced planning probably needs to take place.

I was on the bus trip, and I would encourage others to go.

I had fun, met nice people, and was prepared for the few glitches. The trip is long, the bus is as comfy as you would like, but anything of 14+ hour duration requires that you be prepared with a pillow for your head and maybe even your tushie, food and drink, and a set of earplugs and or/iPod or DVD player to help pass the time.

Take your patience, sense of humour and consideration of others along with you and you will be fine.

Be prepared to tip and to wait for others and have others wait for you. Save all of your receipts and be prepared to declare what you bought and be willing to pay any rightfully owed duty. Keep your passport and FM with you at all times.

I'd do it again, but I would definitely bring a seat cushion !!

C. Stone

• 3 weeks later...

Count us in! (2) We want to go if next trip happens! :016:

I was on the bus trip, and I would encourage others to go.

I had fun, met nice people, and was prepared for the few glitches. The trip is long, the bus is as comfy as you would like, but anything of 14+ hour duration requires that you be prepared with a pillow for your head and maybe even your tushie, food and drink, and a set of earplugs and or/iPod or DVD player to help pass the time.

Take your patience, sense of humour and consideration of others along with you and you will be fine.

Be prepared to tip and to wait for others and have others wait for you. Save all of your receipts and be prepared to declare what you bought and be willing to pay any rightfully owed duty. Keep your passport and FM with you at all times.

I'd do it again, but I would definitely bring a seat cushion !!

C. Stone

and maybe we will have to set apart $200 peso tip for some officers....:)

• 5 weeks later...

Mainecoons,

You wrote ... Next time, instead of going to Monterrey and then backtracking, take the direct and easy route to Pharr, stay at the travellodge that is 15 minutes from the border and right next to all the shopping. It sure as heck shouldn't take 14 hours to get there!

I have no car, but would certainly be willing to make the trip by ETN or Primera Plus. What/where is Pharr ? A town, a crossing location ? How do you cross the border to shop if you are not driving ? Just thinking for future reference.

C. Stone

Mainecoons,

You wrote ... Next time, instead of going to Monterrey and then backtracking, take the direct and easy route to Pharr, stay at the travellodge that is 15 minutes from the border and right next to all the shopping. It sure as heck shouldn't take 14 hours to get there!

I have no car, but would certainly be willing to make the trip by ETN or Primera Plus. What/where is Pharr ? A town, a crossing location ? How do you cross the border to shop if you are not driving ? Just thinking for future reference.

C. Stone

Indeed the bus did use Pharr for both directions. However, Mainecoons as I know you just returned from the states - do you realize that the bus had to be "emptied" upon entering the U.S. - all people and packages - in the bus and underneath. Luggage hand carried carried thru U.S. security by the individual passengers and the bus was xrayed. U.S. customs and security advised that it would take longer for the bus to be xrayed than for the passengers. It did - this stop was an hour and 20 minutes.

• 4 months later...

Some time ago, we took an hourly Grupo Senda bus from the McAllen bus station at 8:30 AM to Monterrey; a three hour ride and they gave us the old folks half price tickets. When we saw the Monterrey Airport signs, we got off the bus at a suburban stop and took a taxi to the airport. There, we got on an Interjet flight to Guadalajara, which took just an hour. We were home in Chapala by 3PM and the cost was only slightly more than the long, long bus trip all the way. We even had time for a light lunch at the Monterrey airport.

I wish there would be another trip, too.

Remember that the one (probably only ) of the major reasons for putting yourself through the long and tiresome ride is the ability to bring back bulky items in the luggage compartment of the bus.

These are items that would be "uncheckable" on a plane ... vacuums, fans, who knows what else.

Otherwise, I agree that it is as quick and about the same pricewise to fly.

I wish there would be another trip, too.

Remember that the one (probably only ) of the major reasons for putting yourself through the long and tiresome ride is the ability to bring back bulky items in the luggage compartment of the bus.

These are items that would be "uncheckable" on a plane ... vacuums, fans, who knows what else.

Otherwise, I agree that it is as quick and about the same pricewise to fly.

I have checked the following items in their original boxes as a piece of luggage: upright vacuum, lawn mower, patio lounge chair (folding), 5x7 carpet. None of them at the same time and never had to pay excess or oversized baggage fees.

Good for you, Joyfull.

That, however, has not been my experience.

In the past, I have had to empty a few items from my checked luggage to make the magic number on weight, and I would not trust the airlines to take good care of any items purchased like the vacuum cleaner, or any item with sensitive electronics or breakable parts.

I think the most important part of your reply is "None of them at the same time..."

If we went on the bus again, several of those items could be brought back at the same time. Of course, one would have to be willing to schlep it all out for customs inspections, but one has to do that at the airport, as well.

It's a tradeoff I'm willing to take, should the opportunity arise again.

• 4 weeks later...

Indeed the bus did use Pharr for both directions. However, Mainecoons as I know you just returned from the states - do you realize that the bus had to be "emptied" upon entering the U.S. - all people and packages - in the bus and underneath. Luggage hand carried carried thru U.S. security by the individual passengers and the bus was xrayed. U.S. customs and security advised that it would take longer for the bus to be xrayed than for the passengers. It did - this stop was an hour and 20 minutes.

Yeah but you are going to go through this no matter where you cross.

Tell ya something else--if you want to use the Travelodge you better book REAL early. We tried to book in there a few weeks in advance of our trip NOB and couldn't get a room there going either direction. The Mexicans have discovered it as the go to place to sleep and shop next door at Costco.

• 3 weeks later...

Who knows if LCS/Cruz Roja will do a trip like this again. It is not easy to do something like this and you end up with every ones complaints which gets old especially when people get cranky. You noticed the trip has not been repeated and I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole as a volunteer unless I get a taser LOL. Would you want to be in charge of a group of gringoes like us in a situation like this with issues of customs and such??

I think the answer is no at least for us mostly sane volunteers LOL.

Update: I asked around LCS and they might do another shopping trip but now everybody is busy. Maybe later in year... Remember I said maybe LOL.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Archived