Chapala.com Webboard

When to apply for immigrado or citizenship

sparks

As one who attained inmigrado status from FM-2 status in November, 2010, I can assure you the application process for inmigrado (permanent resident) status commences upon the expiry date of the FM-2 visa or whatever they call the FM-2 these days. That process must be completed within six months of the expiry date of the FM-2. It is very important that the applicant respect this as you do not want the six month grace period after expiration of the FM-2 visa to run its course before you start the application process.

Citizenship is another matter altogether. It is not imperative that one graduate to citizenship from permanent resident but we will both apply for citizenship in the near future although we could have done so already anytime after having achieved inmigrado status - we just kept procrastinating. As far as Mexico is concerned, going for citizenship is strictly our election and there is no compulsory time frame imposed by Mexico for initiating that process.

NOTE: I have revised this posting which originally stated some information that was incorrect. As it stands now it is correct and in agreement with ChrisB´s posting that follows.

My husband just got his Immigrado wednesday. He had the lady in San Antonio fill out the paperwork (100P). They would not accept the application until existing FM2 expired. Submitted paperwork August 6th. Told to check website in one month. Made second payment wednesday the 12 th and picked up ID and letter.

Inmigrado, apply the day after the 5 years on the FM2 expires. Citizenship, this is tricky as to apply you need 6 months left on your FM2 and it does involve a trip to Mexico City as well as having original birth certificate and apostille and translation among other items so plan accordingly and the aforementioned may not be valid much longer.

Yes you can but doing so will cost you an extra $4,000 pesos for the unnecessary inmigrado step.

Inmigrado is not citizenship therefore still requiring a landtrust or fideicomiso to purchase in the restricted zones, 100km from the border or 50km from the coastline.

So, if I understand correctly, by becoming a Citizen it only gives me the right to vote...There are no other advantages or reasons to apply? In that case, it seems easiest to remain an Inmigrado.

Thanks,

Valerie :)

Right to vote, own fee simple property near the coast and border, have full rights, not be fined for failing to notify of change of address or employer, able to take jobs or do activities reserved only for citizens, etc. No losing your status as easily for being out of the country.

Is there a reference for that fact please?

Posted by Intercasa in January 2012:

http://www.chapala.c...wtopic=33408=

Posted 18 January 2012 - 03:53 PM

I called to verify this as it sounded too good to be true.

All foreign purchasers of real estate in Mexico need a permit (convenio Art 27) from the SRE. Prior to this year the Mexican government charged $5,150 pesos per person per property (per acquisition). The fee this year is zero. For a married couple purchasing that is a savings of $10,300 pesos!

Notarios and others will still charge to apply in Guadalajara as they need to fill out forms and drop off and pick up the papers.

This for properties outside the restricted zone as in that zone you need a landtrust (fideicomiso) and fees for 2012 are $ 325.00 for the application and study and $ 11,720.00

for issuance.

I am wondering if I am in trouble as I have twice purchased property in lakeside. Both times through an agency, but I was never advised of the need for a permit neither by the agency or the notary. Whose responsibility was it to check on the permit or to advise a potential purchaser of the need for one. Both properties were bought before 2012.

I am wondering if I am in trouble as I have twice purchased property in lakeside. Both times through an agency, but I was never advised of the need for a permit neither by the agency or the notary. Whose responsibility was it to check on the permit or to advise a potential purchaser of the need for one. Both properties were bought before 2012.

You may wish to recheck all your closing statements from the Notaria, could be that Federal fee is shown some place

The Notario from Chapala never told us about getting a permit and got a permit in both our names and the deed is in both in our names .We paid for 2 permits and two fees to the notario. In Chiapas we were told to go to SRE and ask for one permit and were told to put the house in one name only as we were married under community property,

They do list the permit in the deed itself and it will say something similar to this:

Around the second page

--- De conformidad a lo dispuesto por la fracción I primera del artículo 27 veintisiete de la Constitución Política de los Estados Unidos Mexicanos, el señor JOHN SMITH, conviene ante la Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores en considerarse como mexicano respecto de dicho inmueble y en no invocar por lo mismo la protección de su gobierno por lo que a aquel se refiere. Lo anterior en términos del convenio de renuncia presentado a la Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores con antelación a esta fecha y con la constancia de adquisición ésta última que se transcribe en el capítulo de insertos, ambos que quedan agregados a mi Libro de Documentos bajo el número que se detallará en la nota de avisos.

Then towards the end

--- “Al margen derecho un logotipo de la Secretaría de Relaciones Exteriores con el escudo nacional.- A la izquierda DIRECCIÓN GENERAL DE ASUNTOS JURÍDICOS.- DIRECCIÓN DE PERMISOS ARTÍCULO 27 CONSTITUCIONAL.- DELEGACIÓN DE LA S.R.E.- CONSTANCIA: 201xxx / 379 .-EXPEDIENTE: 201xx / 251 .- FOLIO: 12061814xxxx .- De conformidad con lo dispuesto por los artículos 27, fracción V de la Ley Orgánica de la Administración Pública Federal, 10A de la Ley de Inversión Extranjera en relación con el Acuerdo General publicado en el Diario Oficial de la Federación el 2 de marzo de 1998, disposiciones que el interesado manifiesta conocer y.- En atención a que el (la) Sr(a). JOHN SMITH , de nacionalidad ESTADOUNIDENSE, con legal estancia en el país en calidad de No Inmigrante según documento migratorio FMM EN22176XXXX , adquiere POR COMPRAVENTA el 100% DE LA TOTALIDAD DE LA FINCA MARCADA CON EL NUMERO 70 DE LA CALLE HIDALGO, TAMBIEN CONOCIDA COMO MIGUEL HIDALGO Y COSTILLA ORIENTE, EN LA POBLACION DE SAN JUAN COSALA, MUNICIPIO DE JOCOTEPEC, JALISCO

Archived