Chapala.com Webboard

Restaurants in SJC "Tourist Zone"... Any good?

hkrause

We're new in town and scouting out some places to take company, coming in November. We've driven by the waterfront places in the "tourist zone" at San Juan Cosala... they look interesting and might be fun to take somebody to for the view. We're wondering how the food is, and which one(s) people would recommend for or against. Hoping to go for a lunch or early dinner sometime during the week to avoid the weekend crowds. Thanks for any input.

BTW, have already heard about Viva Mexico, but we're specifically interested in the lake view locations.

Heather

Bamboo is the newest restaurant on the lake. On the weekends they have a very nice brunch with all kinds of food for 100 pesos pp.

Lots of seating along and they even valet park.

The otherlace for a view is Bella Vita in the Racquet Club. Fantastic panoramic view in a unique outside setting with good food.....go for sunset.

Will check Iguana and Bamboo. I'd heard negative comments elsewhere about El Carnal, and will try the other options instead. Joni, the brunch sounds great... will have to check it out! Bella Vita also sounds interesting, although we're slightly nervous about being out after dark.

Heather

We had a couple of good meals at Iguana, but did feel that the service left a bit to be desired when they were busy (read: this was the only place we felt that we were treated less well than Mexican customers).

frankly, Viva Mexico just blows them away. Stop for a drink at the lakeside places, but eat at Viva Mexico.

Does La Vita Bella have good food, what type and decent prices?

The food is usually good there. A bit pricey. Great margaritas. Fabulous view.

El Mirador, Las Olas, La Escondida, Playa Azul are all fine. La Iguana, Bambu, El Carnal, and El Risco are all a bit more upscale-the first 3 are the busiest usually-El Risco isn't as busy maybe because it is above the road so not as close to the lake but a great view. (I'm sure some of the others are fine also but I haven't tried them. If it is your first time I would try La Iguana de Piedra. Large, nice setting, extensive menu. If it is really busy they open their second kitchen.

Bamboo started off great but on our last (and final) visit the place was more like a mental institution where the inmates had taken over. Terrible food and even worse service with no evidence of management! El Carnal is part of a GDL chain. Overpriced, no supervision of staff despite the presence of "suited mafia types busy with their cell phones". Definitely avoid on weekends unless you like drunks and unruly children overshadowed by lot's of noise and confusion. From long term Mexican residents of Lakeside we've been told that of all the restaurants along that stretch of the lake Las Gaviotas is the most authentic and dependable. (We have not, as yet tried it, but we trust their recommendation as they have also tried Bamboo and El Carnal.) Que Taco which is located on the Carretera in La Canacinta (right where all the speed bumps are on the south side where the bus stops) doesn't look like much but they do a far better job than any of the restaurants along the San Juan Cosala strip. It's consistent, great value, clean, well run and a rather "funky" place worthy of repeat visits.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:27 PM

snapback.pngcrjd, on 20 February 2012 - 07:53 PM, said:

Bambu, on the waterfront, on the way into San Juan Cosala is a terrible restaurant with terrible service. However, the newer restaurant with the large fake shark hanging out front just a little ways closer to Ajijic (perhaps 100 yards) takes the cake for being the most expensive restaurant in that area and you receive absolutely nothing worth the price. Part of a GDL chain that appears to have had a solid reputation at one time but now it's simply a "fast food" restaurant with a better than average location.

Ha! Never eaten at Bambu, but I'm kinda loving crjd's highly caustic review of the "Shark" Restaurant. (El Carnal?) It's truly awful and a waste of money.

As to the above question about the popularity of lousy restaurants....take a walk around the world. Hugely successful establishments serving crap food are everywhere.

Thanks, all! I appreciate all the recommendations. In this particular instance, we are looking mainly for location and view since our guest is such a picky eater that she'll probably just get a salad anyway. Don't want to go someplace that's overly noisy or has bad service, though, and we will eat actual food even though hubby's sister won't. :)

We'll drive back by there and take a closer look at one or two of the places with mutiple thumbs-up.

Heather

If you want to avoid the crowds, the dubious food and service but want to be looking at the lake, you needn't go to the row at SJC.. Go park at the Ajijic malecon lot, walk East along the waterfront past the Old Posada and when you get to Yves restaurant, have a seat, enjoy the lake view and have an excellent meal at a reasonable price. You won't be sorry. Nice people; friendly service and good food. Sunday mornings can get busy after the LCS Open Circle (lets out sometime after 11), but any other time........just enjoy. (Or make reservations. 766-3565)

Breakfast, lunch and dinner served. Closed on Wednesdays. Full bar. Dinner at sunset is a special treat.

P.S. I don't own a piece of the place. I'm just a happy customer.

Just be careful....when eating at the SJC lakeside restaurants. La Belle Vita is great but the prices usually are not posted ..and you might be surprised by the check when you get it.

The whole Sunday experience is wonderful however..especially when the music is playing. We love watching the Mexican families out with their families enjoying the day. Take your guests to the Malecon in Chapala also.

and when you get to Yves restaurant, have a seat, enjoy the lake view and have an excellent meal at a reasonable price. You won't be sorry. Nice people; friendly service and good food. Sunday mornings can get busy after the LCS Open Circle (lets out sometime after 11), but any other time........just enjoy. (Or make reservations. 766-3565)P.S. I don't own a piece of the place. I'm just a happy customer.

HA! I heard from a reliable source that you are Yves. Roberto told me...

Yes Heather, Yve's is a great place to take company when you walk around the village with them. Great lake view. Great taco salads for lunch and along with that you can watch a sweet (or not so sweet) Mexican lady sweep the dirt in front before she hangs here wares. You also get to see Vino Blanco the all white donkey who Yves adopted. Can't miss Yve, he is the man with a big black moustache, gray hair and a HUGE smile. So kind.

If you want to avoid the crowds, the dubious food and service but want to be looking at the lake, you needn't go to the row at SJC.. Go park at the Ajijic malecon lot, walk East along the waterfront past the Old Posada and when you get to Yves restaurant, have a seat, enjoy the lake view and have an excellent meal at a reasonable price. You won't be sorry. Nice people; friendly service and good food. Sunday mornings can get busy after the LCS Open Circle (lets out sometime after 11), but any other time........just enjoy. (Or make reservations. 766-3565)

Breakfast, lunch and dinner served. Closed on Wednesdays. Full bar. Dinner at sunset is a special treat.

P.S. I don't own a piece of the place. I'm just a happy customer.

Yves isn't at all comparable to the restaurants at Piedra Barrenada. Yves is a long way from the lake now and the trees there block much of the view. At PB the lake laps at some of the restaurants. You can feed the fish and birds from your table.

True enough.....except "a long way" and "trees blocking the view" aren't quite the situation, but it's a matter of perception and priorities. When I go out to eat at a restaurant, my first priority is food, followed by service and ambiance. Feeding the birds is way down the list. So there you have it.

Different strokes.

A restaurant AND a petting zoo? We're *SO* there!!! So that's where Pedro's donkey is? I faintly remember a discussion about that. Yes, we'll definitely try Yve's. The lady with her wares... is that the one I've read about that sells blankets and wall hangings?

So it's someplace near the water, east of Nueva Posada? I'm guessing past La Tasca? Anybody have a cross street? I have so many maps of the area, but nobody ever gives street names when directing people!! :-D

Heather

Archived