Chapala.com Webboard

Sky or Telecable?

zerbit

I have been through Dish...no bueno. I now have Shaw-no bueno. Shaw's reception is fine, but the selection is not what I want. I have read about Sky and Telecable and would like to know which is the better option for Ajijic village? I would like to get American channels as well as some Mexican/latino channels. Shaw offers none of these.

Any advice?

Telecable is not available everywhere, Sky is a satellite dish. You do not have to purchase the dish, they supply it. We find it great. It has a great mix of channels in English and Spanish, also has HD. We rarely lose reception, probably has happened once or twice in several years. They also have an 800# with English option.

Guest RevImmigrant

I don't know about the HD, but Sky has some good channels in English (CNN International, not CNN USA, Discovery, Animal Planet, History, NatGeo, Deutsche Welle, other European channels, a Japanese channel, tons of movie channels if you're into that). I think Sky has far more to offer for English channels than Telecable. When I was housesitting from Feb-June, 2010, that house originally had Telecable and the offerings in English were limited.

HD (high definition) is an enormously better picture, if you're into the visuals then HD is definitely primo stuff (that's a technical term).

We watch a lot of football and baseball, and some series that tend to be shot in a dark "film noir" mode. HD makes it a totally different viewing experience, you can see much more detail. Can't speak as to news shows or movies in HD vs regular as we don't watch those.

Is Sky an alternative to Shaw? I have heard there is more English language programming on Shaw? Our Spanish i not great to non-existent, and we would like entertainment. We were considering Shaw. How can we find the channels offered by Sky? TO they have a Mexico website?

Is Sky an alternative to Shaw? I have heard there is more English language programming on Shaw? Our Spanish i not great to non-existent, and we would like entertainment. We were considering Shaw. How can we find the channels offered by Sky? TO they have a Mexico website?

Sr. Google provides this information: http://www2.sky.com.mx/mexico/

If the website doesn't specify; remember, many channels like WB, Sony, History, Discovery, NatGeo, some Movies, etc. are broadcast in two languages. So, if your TV is modern and has Secondary Audio Programing (SAP) capability, you can get them in English or Spanish.

We have Telecable, and that is the case with many of their channels too. So, an English speaker with Sky might be able to give you a more definitive answer about specific channels. Sky salespeople may not be well informed on that matter.

If the website doesn't specify; remember, many channels like WB, Sony, History, Discovery, NatGeo, some Movies, etc. are broadcast in two languages. So, if your TV is modern and has Secondary Audio Programing (SAP) capability, you can get them in English or Spanish.

We have Telecable, and that is the case with many of their channels too. So, an English speaker with Sky might be able to give you a more definitive answer about specific channels. Sky salespeople may not be well informed on that matter.

We have Telecable and a modern TV. How do we check to see if we have SAP?

We have Telecable and a modern TV. How do we check to see if we have SAP?

Check your TV's documentation to see whether your TV has SAP.

I've had both SKY and Telecable. I much prefer SKY (see my book :))

Telecable does have three USA local channels, but their visual quality is poor. Very grainy. That's because they take those channels from a US Dish network, so they lose quality in being "copied". And they're not always available. Sometimes days go by without being able to see them - pretty unreliable.

With SKY, they install the dish for free, but you have to sign an 18 month contract, presumably to make up for that expense. I was worried about that initially, but I haven't regretted that decision. They offer a great mix of Spanish and English, often with sub-titles both ways. They also send you a monthly programming schedule.

Forgot to mention - also check out http://www.themonspot.com They've show some stations for free for expats, including MSNBC.

Also, check out http://www.ustvnow.com Same thing - shows for free. Plus, they have fee-based options, including taping shows for you. Well worth it to me. It's a little dicey during prime time. They need to add servers, I think.

• 2 years later...

Archived