Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic Tango - Revisited

crjd

With the unrelenting march to failure that has taken place in so many restaurants here at Lakeside over the years it's hard to understand why prospective restaurant operators (or those who are already failing in their attempt to profitably operate) don't take a lesson from Ajijic Tango. This is a restaurant that has been successful from the day they opened. Oh, they may not have made heaps of money in the beginning but they started sensibly and slow. Shortly after they opened I remember asking one of the family (this is a family business) why they didn't put more chairs and tables in the area that is today covered by the large and attractive palapa. Their answer: "We want to learn to walk before we run.....we want to make sure we can handle the business we have rather than rushing into expansion of our capacity". How smart!

Our visit last night, not initially planned as we originally thought we'd try another relative newcomer to the restaurant scene but for various reasons we found ourselves back at Ajijic Tango. Why?

Consistent pleasant service. A menu that gets updated and "tweaked" as needed. (Nothing worse than menu boredom!) A well thought out and extensive wine list sensibly priced. Staff who've been there long enough that we not only know their names but they know ours. Consistent, quality food, carefully prepared and thoughtfully presented. Pricing that's not insulting and.....................at least for us something else that's really important.....NO LIVE ENTERTAINMENT THAT WE HAVE TO LISTEN AND PERHAPS PAY FOR WHETHER WE LIKE IT OR NOT! Meticulously clean throughout the restaurant and the comforting quiet presence of skilled supervisory management always. Great place to learn about how to do a restaurant well!

Why is it that so many local "restaurant" operators here think that their patrons want to be deafened with far too loud, mostly banal gringo music, that makes it impossible to converse with ones dining companions? What a recipe for indigestion. We avoid these places like the plague.

Dining out should be a pleasant and peaceful experience IMO. That's what we look for along with good food and beverage reasonably priced. I will say that Tango is too loud for our taste when really busy. Otherwise, it is still one of our faves though not the great value it was when we moved here 4 and a half years ago. Their food is consistently good and their wait staff puts a rather well know and pretentious nearby local competitor to shame.

It wasn't too long ago that Laurent put most all restaurants to shame. And Lauren't Filet was better than Tango in a much classier restaurant. The din at Tango is too loud for us as you cannot converse at the table. IMO, Bruno's restaurant, a long time favorite and second oldest restaurant, beats Tango with the Baseball Filet, huge baked potato, 1/3 ear of corn and Caesar salad to start for price and food on the plate.

Nothing against Tango as their steaks are good, Rack of Lamb, best in the area and a wide selection of appetizers, pasta and food pizza.

My opinion of Laurent was that of a guy trying to make good French food.

He had a good restaurant with good food and the best atmosphere in Ajijic. IMO, the best restaurant in Ajijic along with Ninette. Both have REAL chefs not pretend chefs. He didn't go out of business from lack of business. He had a better opportunity elsewhere, like in South America. Just like Manuel from Manuel's restaurant who opened a new place in Cabo.

He had a good restaurant with good food and the best atmosphere in Ajijic. IMO, the best restaurant in Ajijic along with Ninette. Both have REAL chefs not pretend chefs. He didn't go out of business from lack of business. He had a better opportunity elsewhere, like in South America. Just like Manuel from Manuel's restaurant who opened a new place in Cabo.

Agreed. Laurent and his family are in Mendoza, in the heart of Argentina's wine growing region. We get emails from his wife and all three are doing well.

Nothings wrong with Kim's chefs at Number 4 either!

Guest RevImmigrant

Mainecoons, while I agree that the wait staff and, in particular, the busboys, need more training at Hacienda, it is quiet and has those two important features lacking at Tango: parking and outside seating. And the last few times I've been there the food was even better than before, although they have some difficulty making my arrachera medium well and not the Klein Max special. I only go out for lunch so I don't know what it's like at night.

Of four dishes I ate at Laurent's, I couldn't recommend a single one. Everything was "close", but wouldn't pass muster in any of the similarly-styled "quality" restaurants back in Ottawa. They weren't bad, mind. Just not up to the level that I had heard.

Mainecoons, while I agree that the wait staff and, in particular, the busboys, need more training at Hacienda, it is quiet and has those two important features lacking at Tango: parking and outside seating. And the last few times I've been there the food was even better than before, although they have some difficulty making my arrachera medium well and not the Klein Max special. I only go out for lunch so I don't know what it's like at night.

Did you post this in the wrong thread? My post here doesn't mention Hacienda.

Guest RevImmigrant

No, I assumed (that was obviously a mistake) that by your mention of a "rather pretentious and and well-known local competitor" you meant Hacienda. Now I think I know who you mean. I don't go there either. They don't have any appetizers much and there's no outside seating, not to mention the parking's not too great.

While on the subject of steak, I had an excellent steak yesterday. I got a rib eye at Wal-Mart and fired up my grill. Sometimes home cooking is still the best for many things, although it's nice to go out some too.

No, I assumed (that was obviously a mistake) that by your mention of a "rather pretentious and and well-known local competitor" you meant Hacienda. Now I think I know who you mean. I don't go there either. They don't have any appetizers much and there's no outside seating, not to mention the parking's not too great.

While on the subject of steak, I had an excellent steak yesterday. I got a rib eye at Wal-Mart and fired up my grill. Sometimes home cooking is still the best for many things, although it's nice to go out some too.

Have you been to Hacienda? They have outside seating and tons of parking unlike Tango, Hacienda's Filet is about double the size of Tango for 99 pesos on Thursday, cheaper than Tango.

When we want a 'steak fix', we go to Cinco Potrillos in Ixtlahuacan and get the arrachera plate. The steak is melt-in-your-mouth tender, accompanied by tasty fluffy rice, grilled vegetables and salad. It is also a large serving, which we share. The preceding chips and salsa can't be matched at Lekeside and are worth the drive in their own right.

They're open 8AM to 10PM, except Tuesdays.

We still miss seeing Pancho there, but his family is doing a fine job of running the restaurant.

Guest RevImmigrant

Northern guy, Hacienda is where I go for steak. I usually get the arrachera. I love their sauce (the cooked one, not the salsa cruda) and they have a good selection of appetizers. And, yes, they have outside seating and tons of parking.

Hacienda is also the noisiest out side dining I have ever experienced..And lately the worst service, we won't be going back until I see good reviews here...

We don't dine outside so I can't judge the noise level, but any place like Tabarka, Giovanni's and Gossip's will have high noise levels. We have been going to Hacienda since it opened and have not experience poor service.

Archived