Chapala.com Webboard

driving to texas with 'improper' import certificate

dpl

when i entered mexico from laredo in october, 2009, the aduanas gave me an import certificate for my car. when i renewed my fm-3 in october, 2010, my lawyer acquired a stamped letter from the SAT at the airport. In october, 2011, he came back only with the original application letter introducing me to the 'aduana de guadalajara, jalisco, sevicio de administracion tributaria...' it was stamped with a 'received date' in october, 2011. it seemed strange to me that i did not get the same letter back from the SAT in Guadalajara as I had gotten in 2010, only a copy of his application letter saying that it had been received. he said that the law had changed and that this was all that was then necessary. this seems mighty shady to me.

when i drive back to texas in a few weeks, will i have trouble leaving the country without a proper aduanas letter? should i just skip the aduanas altogether? i'd like to try and get my $400 banjercito deposit back. (please do not tell me that i did not pay this bond, or that the fee only went into effect in 2011, or whatever you may think). if my documentation is incorrect, will i just forfeit the fee and be able to cross the border, or are worse things possibly instore? would i be able to drive this car back into mexico at another time?

thank you to those who know the answer

If you paid the cash bond and you did proper notifications and there was no break in the continuity in your immigration documents you should receive your deposit back. Aduana changes every now and then as far as issuance of letters goes after notification.

Last year they gave out nice letters (besides the stamped received on your application and another letter saying things were sent to Mexico City) and then in December they stopped sending back letter but started again in February and then sent a new letter.

The one thing they have been consistent about is sending you a notification if you foreited your deposit.... HOWEVER.... those letters can take 4 to 6 months or more to arrive to you and that is if it arrives and they sent it and you put your address properly.

You should have no problems driving to the border and you can turn in your sticker but be aware once you turn it in, you will be able to get another one but then pay another deposit and sticker fee.

Archived